Windows 10: Transferring SSD from laptop to desktop

Discus and support Transferring SSD from laptop to desktop in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have a laptop with a 2.5 inch 128gb SSD. This SSD has windows 10 on it along with a number of other programs, files, etc. I would like to take the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by nnob5603, May 18, 2019.

1. nnob5603 Win User

Transferring SSD from laptop to desktop

I have a laptop with a 2.5 inch 128gb SSD. This SSD has windows 10 on it along with a number of other programs, files, etc. I would like to take the SSD out of my laptop and install it in my desktop, which already has its own SSD in it with windows 10 installed. So my question is can I just take the SSD out of my laptop and install it into my desktop and keep all the programs and files? Or do I need to use some type of third party software to transfer over the contents of the drive.

:)

nnob5603, May 18, 2019

2. USB Transfer to Laptop

Hello Judy,

I suggest you to copy all the files to a flash drive from the laptop.
    You may create a new folder on your desktop and name that folder as per your choice.

• Perform the steps to transfer the files from laptop to desktop.

• Plug in the flash drive and wait for it to get detected.

• Now, open the flash drive and Right Click on the files that you want to transfer and select “Copy”.

• Now, open the folder on desktop and Right Click on an empty space in the folder and select “Paste”.

• Similarly, you can transfer all other files.
    As per the file size you can also use an external drive instead of a flash drive and transfer the data.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help.

Anju Thekkethil, May 18, 2019
  3. dan99t Win User
    How do I transfer data from desktop to Laptop ?

Hi,

I am travelling & taking my desktop's 500 GB Hard Disk ( with data & OS ) with me. Once I reach my destination I will be buying a Laptop there & want to transfer the data from my desktop's HDD to Laptop's HDD.

Without an access to desktop there, how do I transfer data from my desktop's HDD to Laptop's HDD ?

Thanks

dan99t, May 18, 2019
  4. Transferring SSD from laptop to desktop

Transfer SSD to new laptop

My laptop is on its last legs and needs replacing. But it has a good SSD with Windows 10 and lots of data on it which I want to keep. Can I buy a new laptop with no HDD or OS and transfer my existing SSD complete with OS straight into it? Am I allowed to
    transfer my existing Windows 10 licence ro a new computer bought without an OS?

Geoffharry, May 18, 2019
Thema:

Transferring SSD from laptop to desktop

1. Transferring SSD from laptop to desktop - Similar Threads - Transferring SSD laptop

2. Transferring Windows 11 from SSD to SSD on laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Transferring Windows 11 from SSD to SSD on laptop: Hi,So...I have a question.Four months ago, I bought a laptop MSI stealth G77, it was delivered with windows 11 already installed so I'm thinking an OEM version of it.I quickly ran out of spaceon the 1To ssd with all my games and programs. So I bought an extra SSD of 2To to...
  3. Transferring Windows 11 from SSD to SSD on laptop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Transferring Windows 11 from SSD to SSD on laptop: Hi,So...I have a question.Four months ago, I bought a laptop MSI stealth G77, it was delivered with windows 11 already installed so I'm thinking an OEM version of it.I quickly ran out of spaceon the 1To ssd with all my games and programs. So I bought an extra SSD of 2To to...
  4. Transfer Desktop/ Files from SSD to HDD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Transfer Desktop/ Files from SSD to HDD: So I installed a new m.2 SSD in which I did a fresh install of windows on it in order for faster loading times on the startup screen as well as when I'm editing videos through Adobe After Effects. How do I make it so when I set my SSD as the bootup drive my Desktop icons from...
  5. Transfer Desktop/ Files from SSD to HDD

Transfer Desktop/ Files from SSD to HDD: So I installed a new m.2 SSD in which I did a fresh install of windows on it in order for faster loading times on the startup screen as well as when I'm editing videos through Adobe After Effects. How do I make it so when I set my SSD as the bootup drive my Desktop icons from...
  6. Transfer Desktop/ Files from SSD to HDD

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. Transfering a ssd from one laptop to another

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Transfering a ssd from one laptop to another: I recently had a problem where I couldnt install windows on a sad i had on my laptop.i was wondering if it's possible to take a ssd from a laptop I had that has windowsand put it in this laptop to use windows from it...
  8. Transfering a ssd from one laptop to another

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Transfering a ssd from one laptop to another: I recently had a problem where I couldnt install windows on a sad i had on my laptop.i was wondering if it's possible to take a ssd from a laptop I had that has windowsand put it in this laptop to use windows from it...
  9. Transfering a ssd from one laptop to another

10. SSD from Laptop to Desktop

in Windows 10 Support
    SSD from Laptop to Desktop: Hello, so my question is how do I change all the registry keys when transferring a SSD from a laptop to a desktop. So recently built a computer to save the $110 it would cost me for a new operating system key I pulled the SSD out of my laptop and used it as the main drive on...