Windows 10: Transferring to different computer- Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro

Discus and support Transferring to different computer- Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; After getting a new PC for my wife, I plan on giving the older one to a relative. She is currently using a beat up laptop to work from home. My plan is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Tink009, Oct 26, 2020.

1. Tink009 Win User

Transferring to different computer- Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro

After getting a new PC for my wife, I plan on giving the older one to a relative. She is currently using a beat up laptop to work from home. My plan is to use Macrium Reflect to transfer the system from the laptop to the PC, then using Redeploy to get the PC up and running. I've done this in the past with other machines with no problems.
    What is giving me pause is that the laptop is running Windows 10 Home and the PC has Windows 10 Pro. I know that Windows keeps the license key stored in the firmware and gets activated automatically. Will I end up with a Pro or Home version of Windows when I complete the transfer? I normally use Pro on my computers and haven't had to consider this before.

:)

Tink009, Oct 26, 2020
  2. Nordic Win User

Windows 10 upgrade problem, no input accepted

I really hate having to come here and ask for help, but I really am stumped. It hurts my geek pride. I have a PC with fairly modern hardware in it. It has a p8p67 pro in it. I have tried upgrading windows 10 on it twice now. Both times I have had the same result.

After windows finishes upgrading it goes to the log in/set up screen. I can't do anything. No keyboard or mouse input is accepted.

I will list some, or hopefully all, of the troubleshooting steps I have tried:
    • Move keyboard and mouse to different USB ports.
    • Try different keyboard or mouse.
    • Restart computer, repeatedly.
    • Google for related issues.
    • Update Bios, because why not.
    • Create boot media and revert to windows 7.
    The windows 10 system restore boot media works fine with keyboard and mouse. All USB ports work in windows 7. I don't know what is wrong. I suspect that windows 10 is lacking a driver of some sort, but since the computer accepts no input I have no way of checking for which driver let alone installing it.

Please help me figure this out. If I have to revert back to windows 7 again, I am not going to get it upgraded to windows 10. Thank you in advanced.

Nordic, Oct 26, 2020
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Oct 26, 2020
  4. Mussels Win User

Windows 10 upgrade problem, no input accepted

i've seen this when the stock USB drivers went kaput. Only ever seen it once - i used a PCI USB 2.0 card and connected the mouse and keyboard to that, and manually updated the USB 2/USB 3 drivers.

Mussels, Oct 26, 2020
Thema:

1. Transferring to different computer- Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro - Similar Threads - Transferring different computer

2. Transfer and activate a Windows 10 Pro license on a new computer running Windows 10 Home...

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Transfer and activate a Windows 10 Pro license on a new computer running Windows 10 Home...: I originally got help through the online chat system. Responses were slow, but it worked. I'm trying to transfer my Windows 10 Pro license for refurbished computers to a new computer. I was told that the license was transferable and told to wait 2 minutes while I was...
  3. Windows 10 Home Key Transfer to Windows 10 Pro

Windows 10 Home Key Transfer to Windows 10 Pro: I have old Laptop with Windows 10 Home installed. I also have VM installed on the old machine with Windows 10 Home Key. Now I bought a new laptop with Windows 10 Pro. I want to install VMs on Windows 10 Pro. Is there anyway, i can upgrade Windows 10 Home VM key to Windows 10...
  4. Activation of Win 10 pro transfer to a VM on a different computer.

Activation of Win 10 pro transfer to a VM on a different computer.: J have just transferred the full contents including Win10 pro with a a valid product key from an old desktop which is being scrapped to a VM running on an external drive on a new iMac computer using Parallels. The transfer was successful and all runs exactly as I want except...
  5. Transfering Window 10 Home to a new computer

Transfering Window 10 Home to a new computer: I am purchasing a new computer. I plan to install a fresh copy of Windows 10 Home and transfer my activation from my old computer. What is the best way to accomplish this?...
  6. transfer windows 10 pro to another windows 10 computer

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    transfer windows 10 pro to another windows 10 computer: Hello from Western Australia. I have a Dell laptop with Windows 10 Pro bought the Pro update in 2017; it was running Windows 10 Home. I'd like to transfer that Pro version or license or whatever it's called to a different computer, a Lenovo currently running Windows 10...
  7. is there a difference with windows 10 pro and home?

in Windows 10 Customization
    is there a difference with windows 10 pro and home?: is there a difference with windows 10 pro and home? are they the same? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-there-a-difference-with-windows-10-pro-and-home/207beb35-b912-4754-87c8-ef3b2ccb6c09
  8. Transferring Windows 10 License to a different computer

Transferring Windows 10 License to a different computer: Hello, I have recently built myself a desktop PC, after spending the last 10-11 years using only laptops. While my last laptop came with Windows Home pre-installed and activated I installed Windows 10 Pro on it and bought a digital license for it in the Microsoft Store. It...
  9. Transfer Windows 10 Pro to Another Laptop with 10 Home

Transfer Windows 10 Pro to Another Laptop with 10 Home: Hi Everyone, This is my first time asking to this community, sorry if this kind of post or question is not comply with community guidelines. My old laptop (let's call it A46CB) is installed with Windows 10 Pro and already activated. I got it from free upgrade from my...
  10. Can I transfer my Windows 10 Pro license to a different computer?

Can I transfer my Windows 10 Pro license to a different computer?: It seems like this may have been answered numerous times, but I cannot determine the answer. I bought a laptop (L1) that came with Windows 10 Home installed. I purchased the Win 10 Pro upgrade ($99) from the Microsoft store. L1 was not powerful enough for my needs. I...