Windows 10: Transferring W10 from laptop to brand new PC...?

Discus and support Transferring W10 from laptop to brand new PC...? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I've been googling all night, trying to find some way contacting Microsoft but no company has a "contact" section anymore, it's pathetic. I've read... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Tickstart, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Transferring W10 from laptop to brand new PC...?

I've been googling all night, trying to find some way contacting Microsoft but no company has a "contact" section anymore, it's pathetic. I've read many guides on how to, but they're all vague and different. So I'm none the wiser.

I want to: Activate W10 on a PC I'm gonna start building soon. By using the license I already have. I have W10 Pro on this computer (laptop) which was upgraded from 8.1 Pro in 2015 or something. The OS was downloaded from some sort of university page in cooperation with Microsoft, IIRC it was called "Dreamspark". From there, I upgraded to W10 Pro, from which I'm writing now. Now, I want to transfer that license onto the computer I'm gonna build, as it will be my new main. I've understood there's a difference between OEM licenses and retail licenses etc. I've linked my "digital license" to my Microsoft Account. Is that enough to license a new install? I'm fine with deactivating the license on this computer in exchange, but I don't see how that works exactly.. How do you do that, does it happen automatically? What happens if I unplug the old computer from the internet? Will the new one not register until the old is unregistered? I've seen a "remove device"-tab linked to my laptop under my MS account but I have no idea if this is even related to the activation, but someone said so.. I can't believe the information is so pisspoor regarding this, I guess they count on you losing your mind and just purchasing a new key, I almost did.

submitted by /u/Tickstart
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Tickstart, Jan 20, 2021
  2. Curious Win User

Transferring hdd to new pc

I bought a new laptop (let's call it laptop 1). It has a 1 Tb standard hdd. I also have an older laptop (laptop 2) with a 1 Tb SSD and W10.

I want to move the SSD from laptop 2 to the new one and am considering several options that I would like advice about.

1. Just replace the hdd on the new laptop 1 with the SSD from laptop 2. They both have W 10. I suspect that won't work because of the different hardware would require different drivers.
    a) Am I right? Or will Windows 10 automatically install the correct drivers for the new hardware?
    b) Am I better off starting fresh?

2. I have image backups of the existing older W10 pc but thought to take this opportunity to reinstall all my programs in the fresh w10 installation. Is that a good idea? Worth the extra effort?

3. I'd like to transfer at least my Windows and installed programs "settings" from the older w10 pc. to the new one. I read that "Windows Easy Transfer" used to do this but is no longer available for W 10. Is there a free alternative for W 10? Another way to do this?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Curious, Jan 20, 2021
  3. W7 To W10 transfering data and files from old PC to New PC

I have an old PC running W7 and want to transfer files and data, music to a new PC running W10. Easy transfer cable is not so easy with W10. Is there a program or something to accomplish this task? THX

BobTechNot, Jan 20, 2021
  4. Transferring W10 from laptop to brand new PC...?

USB Transfer to Laptop

Hello Judy,

I suggest you to copy all the files to a flash drive from the laptop.
    You may create a new folder on your desktop and name that folder as per your choice.

• Perform the steps to transfer the files from laptop to desktop.

• Plug in the flash drive and wait for it to get detected.

• Now, open the flash drive and Right Click on the files that you want to transfer and select “Copy”.

• Now, open the folder on desktop and Right Click on an empty space in the folder and select “Paste”.

• Similarly, you can transfer all other files.
    As per the file size you can also use an external drive instead of a flash drive and transfer the data.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help.

Anju Thekkethil, Jan 20, 2021
Thema:

Transferring W10 from laptop to brand new PC...?

1. Transferring W10 from laptop to brand new PC...? - Similar Threads - Transferring W10 laptop

2. transferring ~13 yr old pc W10 to brand new W11 pc

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    transferring ~13 yr old pc W10 to brand new W11 pc: First, let me begin by sharing the 2 glitches up front:1. I am severely 'techno-inept'2. can NOT access 'Start' menu thus settings at allSo, other than having to "reset password" for every bloody site/program/etc. currently in useon old desktop and downloading all new apps,...
  3. transferring ~13 yr old pc W10 to brand new W11 pc

in Windows 10 Gaming
    transferring ~13 yr old pc W10 to brand new W11 pc: First, let me begin by sharing the 2 glitches up front:1. I am severely 'techno-inept'2. can NOT access 'Start' menu thus settings at allSo, other than having to "reset password" for every bloody site/program/etc. currently in useon old desktop and downloading all new apps,...
  4. New PC with W10, I want to transfer Win11pro license to new pc from old PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    New PC with W10, I want to transfer Win11pro license to new pc from old PC: I will be receiving a new PC with W10 home already installed. I have an old PC with W11 Pro upgraded from W10 Pro. 1. I would like to transfer my W11 Pro license to the new pc. 2. I also would like it if my old PC can use W11 Home instead, after transferring W11 pro.2nd part...
  5. New PC with W10, I want to transfer Win11pro license to new pc from old PC

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    New PC with W10, I want to transfer Win11pro license to new pc from old PC: I will be receiving a new PC with W10 home already installed. I have an old PC with W11 Pro upgraded from W10 Pro. 1. I would like to transfer my W11 Pro license to the new pc. 2. I also would like it if my old PC can use W11 Home instead, after transferring W11 pro.2nd part...
  6. Transfer W10 Pro To New PC?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Transfer W10 Pro To New PC?: I'm getting a new computer. Can I de-activate my Windows 10 Pro license on my current PC, then activate on my new PC, or do I have to buy a second copy? Thanks. 182551
  7. transfer W10 pro from a broken PC

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    transfer W10 pro from a broken PC: Hello, my PC failed to restart in the process of a windows update. I got a black screen. no bios. so rather than faff around I have bought another PC. I have the OS drive from my old PC and all info on that can be accessed. Is there any way that I can transfer my w10...
  8. Transferring w10 from one pc to another?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Transferring w10 from one pc to another?: I have a Digital license (retail, not OEM) of w10 pro on an old laptop that I no longer use. I want to remove this license from the laptop and put it onto a completely new PC. Completely different components. I've read all the articles on this I could find, however I hadn't...
  9. How to transfer W10 key from non working pc to new pc?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    How to transfer W10 key from non working pc to new pc?: My pc has stopped working and I have built a new one I need to install windows to the new pc, how can i reactivate the new key and the install files onto the new pc?...
  10. Brand New laptop

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Brand New laptop: After loading MS office 365 and down loading updates. I restarted my lap top as required and now all it states is "PREPAREING AUTOMATIC REPAIR." Tis is a brand NEW LAPTOP, ??? What is up with this ....