Windows 10: Transferring w10 from one pc to another?

Discus and support Transferring w10 from one pc to another? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I have a Digital license (retail, not OEM) of w10 pro on an old laptop that I no longer use. I want to remove this license from the laptop and put it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Mutatiion, May 7, 2020.

1. Transferring w10 from one pc to another?

I have a Digital license (retail, not OEM) of w10 pro on an old laptop that I no longer use. I want to remove this license from the laptop and put it onto a completely new PC. Completely different components.

I've read all the articles on this I could find, however I hadn't seen one with these exact circumstances (digital & retail) so wanted to check what others have done here

The copy is registered to my microsoft account with the laptop, I can see it at https://account.microsoft.com/devices

From what I've read, I'll be logging into w10 on the new device and using the windows 10 activation troubleshooter to try to transfer the copy over. My questions are

1. Do I need to remove/uninstall the product key from the laptop first before trying the troubleshooter? Does it make a difference?

2. I've retrieved the w10 product key from the laptop, will this be used? I've read conflicting reports of if it's a 'correct' key or just a placeholder since it's a digital license.. (unsure if it being a retail license impacts this). Or will it not be needed?

3. I've seen people saying to call microsoft if the activation troubleshooter doesn't work - is there a resource that tells me exactly which number to call? I'm in Australia so number may be different. Is there anything specific I need to say (lie about) for this to be successful?
    submitted by /u/Mutatiion
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Mutatiion, May 7, 2020

2. W7 To W10 transfering data and files from old PC to New PC

I have an old PC running W7 and want to transfer files and data, music to a new PC running W10. Easy transfer cable is not so easy with W10. Is there a program or something to accomplish this task? THX

BobTechNot, May 7, 2020
  3. 5rollason Win User
    File transfer windows 10 to windows 10 using backup and restore

Hello

I'm afraid you still don't seem to have understood my question.

Let me try again step by step.

My plan:

• Upgrade old PC running W7 to W10
    • Buy new PC with W10 pre-installed
    • Back up files and settings on old PC
    • Restore that backup onto new PC
    • Install application software onto new PC
    • New PC becomes my default PC, old one goes into retirement.
    I was aware that Windows 7 Easy Transfer would not run on W10 which was why I proposed this option.

I have now found an article which gives me confidence that I am on the right track. Although it refers to an earlier operating system

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/restore-files-backup#1TC=windows-7

5rollason, May 7, 2020
  4. Transferring w10 from one pc to another?

PC Build Steps

Ok just because I like steps i am going to create some steps. Please give me the stamp of approval/disapproval
    • Install system in case
      • Remember to connect SSD and optical to same SATA ports on motherboard
    • Turn on PC
    • setup HDD
    • run blend test in prime95 for 30-60 min
      • run realtemp at the same time
    • While in Prime95 test
      • if CPU goes above 70c in RealTemp, I have a leaky CPU
      • if my system locks up or blue screens, there is an instability in the system somewhere
      • if my system does not lock up or blue screen, my CPU is not damaged and I am in the clear!
    What do you guys think??

anandsap123, May 7, 2020
Thema:

Transferring w10 from one pc to another?

1. Transferring w10 from one pc to another? - Similar Threads - Transferring w10 another

2. Transfer license from one PC to another

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Transfer license from one PC to another: Hi,Case #: 1047820652I'm trying to transfer the Windows 10 Pro digital license from an older PC to a new PC.I removed the device linked to the old PC from my Microsoft account and now I can't reuse that license. I know now that I shouldn't have done that.I've got two licenses...
  3. Transfer license from one PC to another

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Transfer license from one PC to another: Hi,Case #: 1047820652I'm trying to transfer the Windows 10 Pro digital license from an older PC to a new PC.I removed the device linked to the old PC from my Microsoft account and now I can't reuse that license. I know now that I shouldn't have done that.I've got two licenses...
  4. Transfer license from one PC to another

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Transferring a Digital License from one PC to another

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Transferring a Digital License from one PC to another: Here's the situation: I have a two PCs. One with Windows 10 Pro activated digitally, linked to MS Account and another with Windows 11 Home Single Language that came preinstalled. Can I upgrade Windows Home in second PC to Windows Pro and transfer my license from my first PC?...
  6. Transferring one pc to another

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Transferring one pc to another: Hello everyone. I recently bought a new laptop. I have an older laptop with many users in it like my son, wife, etc. Is there a way for me to transfer all the data from an old laptop to new one so that I can avoid the hassle of installing/setting up everything again. Thanks...
  7. Transfer harddrive from one PC to another.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Transfer harddrive from one PC to another.: Hello, I am building a new PC currently. The only component I didn't purchase was a new harddrive. Is it possible to transfer my current one 1TB SSD, w/ Windows 10 installed to the new computer without any hiccups? Thanks in advance!...
  8. Transferring of Licenses from one PC to another.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Transferring of Licenses from one PC to another.: Hello, I would like to transfer a Windows 10 license from on PC to another. I have purchased windows 10 home from the digital store on one of my PC's, lets call it PC1. PC1 is activated with Windows 10 Home with a "Windows is activated with a digital license linked to your...
  9. Transferring a program from one PC to another... Is it possible?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Transferring a program from one PC to another... Is it possible?: Hi all, In about a week I'm going to be upgrading my PC which will mean a fresh installation of Windows. There is a specific program I have installed on my current PC that I will also need on my upgraded PC. However I don't have a backup of the installation file. I purchased...
  10. Transfer Windows from one PC to another

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Transfer Windows from one PC to another: I currently have a laptop that had Windows from the factory, and I want to transfer it to my new desktop. I want to put Ubuntu on the laptop. When i go to activation, however, it says that it's activated with a digital license, and i cant get the product key. I am using...