Windows 10: Transferring Win 10 key (OEM)

Discus and support Transferring Win 10 key (OEM) in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; My rig is self-build and 3 years old. The OEM version of Win 10 was purchased seperately on Amazon and installed by myself. But .... Looks like I have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/SirBerticus, Oct 17, 2020.

1. Transferring Win 10 key (OEM)

My rig is self-build and 3 years old. The OEM version of Win 10 was purchased seperately on Amazon and installed by myself. But .... Looks like I have now damaged my motherboard with a BIOS update (interrupt storm) and there's nothing that can be done to fix it and MSI wants nothing to do with it (no help). I'm thinking of replacing the motherboard but my Windows 10 is listed as "OEM". Do I have to also pay for a new copy of Win 10 ? Or is there a way to transfer the license key to the new motherboard ?

submitted by /u/SirBerticus
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/SirBerticus, Oct 17, 2020

2. Upgrade a Win 10 home OEM to Win 10 Pro OEM with Win 10 Pro OEM Key?

I recently purchased a laptop that has an OEM version of Win 10 Home on it.

I verified this by using : slmgr -dli.

Previously I had purchased an OEM Win 10 Pro Key.

Can I use this OEM Win 10 Pro Key to upgrade the OEM Win 10 Home to the OEM Win 10 Pro.

If so what are the steps to accomplish this?

In addition, I assume that is this is possible, that the current product key will be updated to the new product key?

The reason I am asking this is that it's my understanding that these product keys are tied to the bios on a name brand laptop.

TIA

shockwaveriderz, Oct 17, 2020
  3. Caring1 Win User
    Windows 7 OEM key

Generally the upgrade has to be done first, before a clean install can be done, and it's not really relevant to transferring the key to another system.

Caring1, Oct 17, 2020
  4. Transferring Win 10 key (OEM)

Transfer OEM key

Hello,

First of all, OEM license is not transferable. It is tied to only one machine.

Second, as per Microsoft policy, one product key can be used only on one installation. Hence new installation, new product key. Though it may be working for you temporarily, but I am sure it will give you trouble later. I suggest you to buy new license for
    new machine.

Regards.

Kapil Arya MVP, Oct 17, 2020
Thema:

Transferring Win 10 key (OEM)

1. Transferring Win 10 key (OEM) - Similar Threads - Transferring key OEM

2. OEM Win 10 license transfer

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    OEM Win 10 license transfer: Hello. 3 years ago I bought a laptop with OEM windows 10 license. 1 year ago I replaced the original HDD with SSD. Now Im thinking about buying a new laptop. My question is: do I need to buy a laptop with preinstalled windows, or is it possible to transfer windows and all...
  3. Windows 10 transfer OEM have both keys...

Windows 10 transfer OEM have both keys...: I have a lot of data and programs on an old laptop with windows 10 OEM, the battery died and is non replacable so had to get a new one. I have a backup windows 7 backup program, so when i restore on the new machine can I just use the change product key on the new machine and...
  4. win 10 oem

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    win 10 oem: Bonjour, je dispose d'un dvd win 10 famille oem 32 bits. Je change de carte mère. je dois installer win 10 famille 64 bits. Est ce possible avec ce dvd? merci https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/win-10-oem/e43080ac-4b90-463e-9ce4-c8d7d82e2fe6
  5. Upgrade a Win 10 home OEM to Win 10 Pro OEM with Win 10 Pro OEM Key?

Upgrade a Win 10 home OEM to Win 10 Pro OEM with Win 10 Pro OEM Key?: I recently purchased a laptop that has an OEM version of Win 10 Home on it. I verified this by using : slmgr -dli. Previously I had purchased an OEM Win 10 Pro Key. Can I use this OEM Win 10 Pro Key to upgrade the OEM Win 10 Home to the OEM Win 10 Pro. If so what are...
  6. Win 10 licensing from Win 7 OEM key

Win 10 licensing from Win 7 OEM key: We have a large number of Dell systems in our organisation, currently on windows 7 PRO licensed with Dell OEM. Can we use the windows 7 or 8 Dell OEM key embedded in the motherboard to upgrade the system to Windows 10 PRO free of charge?...
  7. Transfer OEM key

Transfer OEM key: I have an windows 7 OEM key which I used to activate windows 10 on my old laptop but I got a new one without windows in which I got to activate the old key without any problems. For what it seems, the key is linked to my account. Is it okay to have 2 computers with same key?...
  8. Recover oem win 10 key on other os

Recover oem win 10 key on other os: I bought an asus laptop with oem win 10 then ive changed it to linux, and now i want to make the key back so that i can use windows again. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/recover-oem-win-10-key-on-other-os/028014cb-9ec3-4967-9a39-384c96c5a651"
  9. Transferring Non-OEM Windows 10 key to a new PC

Transferring Non-OEM Windows 10 key to a new PC: Hello! I recently built a new PC, and would like to transfer the current Windows license (on the computer that I am typing this on), to the new one. I'm having trouble finding the product key. The standard way of finding it, thru admin command prompt, is not working. Are...
  10. Win 10 upgrade using win 7 OEM key(dell)

Win 10 upgrade using win 7 OEM key(dell): My Dell inspiron N5110 did not pass win upgrade compatibility test in back a long ago. now i have changed hardware and want to upgrade to Win10. there are 2 problems I cannot upgrade win10 using OEM product key using either DVD upgrade OR windows 10 download website. How to...