Windows 10: Transferring Win10 Pro digital license to new PC

Discus and support Transferring Win10 Pro digital license to new PC in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I have just built a new PC and I want to transfer my Windows 10 Pro digital licence from my old one. I checked the licence with command slmgr -dli, and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by BobDobson1, Jan 17, 2021.

1. Transferring Win10 Pro digital license to new PC

I have just built a new PC and I want to transfer my Windows 10 Pro digital licence from my old one. I checked the licence with command slmgr -dli, and it is in the RETAIL channel, so should be transferrable.

Following instructions on various posts, I removed my licence from my old PC using the slmgr.vbs /upk and slmgr.vbs /cpky commands. I received the message that the licence had been successfully removed. I also removed my old PC from the list of devices on my Microsoft account.

On the new PC, as per instructions, I run the Activation Troubleshooter, and take the option "I recently changed hardware on this device", but the new PC is not shown on the list of PC's for activation. It is, however, shown as device on my Microsoft account.

I have turned on my old PC on again, and that now showing again as being activated with a digital license linked to my Microsoft account, but now when I run the slmgr -dli command, it says "Error: product key not found". The old PC has not not shown up again in the list of my devices on my Microsoft account.

I have tried several times to use the online chatbots to sort this out, but they only go so far before they stop responding and have an "Error Occurred, please try again later" message.

Any help, or info on how to talk to a human, would be appreciated.

:)

BobDobson1, Jan 17, 2021

2. Transfer digital license from old PC to New one.

You would have to first ensure the Digital License is linked to your Microsoft Account. See instructions how to do that. You can then use the Troubleshooter on the new computer after installing Windows 10 to restore the license.

Please note, if your license was upgraded from a OEM preinstalled Windows 7 or Windows 7 license, it is not transferable.

See:

Andre Da Costa, Jan 17, 2021
  3. Transferring Digital License to a new PC

Hello, I am soon going to sell my PC and build a new one, but I'd like to transfer my digital license over to the new PC that I am going to build.

I would also like to point out that my digital license is already linked to my Microsoft account. I need a explanation on how to transfer my digital license

on a new PC, thanks.

JozieeGonn, Jan 17, 2021
  4. EnaFM Win User

Transferring Win10 Pro digital license to new PC

Transfering Win10 digital license to a new computer?

Hello!

How does one transfer a digital license of Win 10 from one computer to another?

I have found online how to transfer from one computer to another a boxed version of Win10, found information that it's not possible to transfer license if Win10 is upgraded from Win7, but can't seem to find what to do in case of digital licenses.

Thank you!

EnaFM, Jan 17, 2021
Thema:

Transferring Win10 Pro digital license to new PC

1. Transferring Win10 Pro digital license to new PC - Similar Threads - Transferring Win10 Pro

2. Transfer windows 11 pro digital license to new PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Transfer windows 11 pro digital license to new PC: HiI have upgraded my old laptop from windows 11 HomeOEM to Windows 11 Pro. And I did not receive any product key and it was showing as digital license.Recently I have bought a new laptop and would like to transfer the Windows 11 pro upgrade license to the new one. I have...
  3. Transfer windows 11 pro digital license to new PC

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Transfer windows 11 pro digital license to new PC: HiI have upgraded my old laptop from windows 11 HomeOEM to Windows 11 Pro. And I did not receive any product key and it was showing as digital license.Recently I have bought a new laptop and would like to transfer the Windows 11 pro upgrade license to the new one. I have...
  4. Transfer of Win10 Pro RETAIL edition digital license to new pc does not work

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Transfer of Win10 Pro RETAIL edition digital license to new pc does not work: Hi,I have a problem with activating a RETAIL Win10 Pro on a new PC. From everything I read and all the troubleshooting manuals it should work, but it doesn't.1. I have Win 10 Pro RETAIL installed on the previous PC. When I do "slmgr -dli" in CMD, the window contains German...
  5. Transferring Digital License to New PC

Transferring Digital License to New PC: I want to transfer a retail digital license for Windows 10 Home Edition, purchased online, from my Lenovo desktop, which stopped working, to a new Dell desktop. I have tried all of the suggestions and MS Support, but I can't get through to talk to an actual person. I am...
  6. Transferring Digital License to a new PC

Transferring Digital License to a new PC: Hello, I am soon going to sell my PC and build a new one, but I'd like to transfer my digital license over to the new PC that I am going to build. I would also like to point out that my digital license is already linked to my Microsoft account. I need a explanation on how to...
  7. Transfer Digital License To A New PC

Transfer Digital License To A New PC: So a few months ago I purchased Windows 10 Home from the Microsoft Store so I have a Digital License rather than a product key, my old PC unfortunately broke and I cannot log into it anymore so I bought a new one, after logging into my account it doesn't seem to want to...
  8. Transferring Digital License to new PC

Transferring Digital License to new PC: Hello, I have been trying to activate Windows 10 on my new computer using the digital license I have connected to my Microsoft account. I bought Windows 10 Pro digitally from Microsoft a few years ago and have been running it on my laptop since. My new desktop is meant to...
  9. Transfer Windows 10 Pro digital license to new PC

Transfer Windows 10 Pro digital license to new PC: I upgraded my previous computer to Windows 10 Pro via a digital license purchased from the Windows Store. Unfortunately, that computer was quite literally fried during an electrical storm last month - the technicians who I took it to said it was not cost effective to repair...
  10. Digital License transfer to a new pc

Digital License transfer to a new pc: Greetings, I want to transfer my Windows 10 digital license to a new laptop which has shipped with pre-installed MS DOS. My old laptop had shipped with pre-installed Windows 8.1 which I upgraded to Windows 10 Home (single language) using the free offer available during that...