Windows 10: Transferring Windows 10 license that was an upgrade from a Windows 7 retail.

Discus and support Transferring Windows 10 license that was an upgrade from a Windows 7 retail. in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I bought a retail copy of Win 7 Ultimate in 2009 to install on a new desktop build, then in 2014 I upgraded the mobo/cpu/ram and simply kept the same... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/kim_jong-potter, Oct 31, 2019.

1. Transferring Windows 10 license that was an upgrade from a Windows 7 retail.

I bought a retail copy of Win 7 Ultimate in 2009 to install on a new desktop build, then in 2014 I upgraded the mobo/cpu/ram and simply kept the same OS drive during the upgrade. I'd been running windows 7 until a few years ago until I accepted the free upgrade to windows 10, I just let it do it's thing and it didn't complain about activation.

A few years after that I upgraded my OS SSD and installed a fresh copy of windows 10. If I recall correctly, it automatically activated once I got online. I didn't create a microsoft account account and I've only used local accounts with store features disabled as much as possible.

Later this month I'm going to be moving off this Intel 4770k system and onto AMD's Ryzen 3950x. Just a cpu/mobo/ram upgrade for now, and I plan to boot right up into my existing windows 10 install hoping the activation transfers, then do a fresh install of windows 10 afterwards.

I'm assuming this license will transfer, but if not, I'm prepared to buy one of those win 10 pro keys off amazon for $12. That seems a bit sketchy though, it doesn't tell me if these are volume license keys, oem, enterprise, etc..

Any thoughts?

submitted by /u/kim_jong-potter
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/kim_jong-potter, Oct 31, 2019
  2. krimetal Win User

Windows 10 upgrade license

The interesting question is that: the upgrade takes place before 29 of July. If I upgrade the PC (change the MB), and I transfer the Win 8.1 license to this new PC (cause 8.1 is retail FPP), will I be able to upgrade to Windows 10 for free? Or a upgrade license must be bought?

krimetal, Oct 31, 2019
  3. krimetal Win User
    Windows 10 upgrade license

Hello guys,

I have 1 license of WIndows 8.1 FPP/retail license. I want to upgrade to WIndows 10, but I one thing is unclear to me.
    If I upgrade, will WIndows 10 license be retail or it will "turn" into some sort of OEM license?

I ask this because I upgrade my PC, you know, more memory, replace HDD, and I intend to upgrade the MB and CPU to Kaby Lake platform sometime in the future, (and of course sell the replaced hardware)
    This thing is not clearly mentioned anywhere.

Thank you.

krimetal, Oct 31, 2019
  4. Transferring Windows 10 license that was an upgrade from a Windows 7 retail.

Andre Da Costa, Oct 31, 2019
Thema:

Transferring Windows 10 license that was an upgrade from a Windows 7 retail.

1. Transferring Windows 10 license that was an upgrade from a Windows 7 retail. - Similar Threads - Transferring license was

2. Retail license transfer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Retail license transfer: Hi, I just changed to a completely different PC. I want my Windows 11 Pro license on the new one. What should I do? It is a retail key, I checked with command prompt and some commands I don't remember now....
  3. Retail license transfer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Retail license transfer: Hi, I just changed to a completely different PC. I want my Windows 11 Pro license on the new one. What should I do? It is a retail key, I checked with command prompt and some commands I don't remember now....
  4. Transferring Win 10 Retail License Obtained Through Free Upgrade from Win 7

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Transferring Win 10 Retail License Obtained Through Free Upgrade from Win 7: I had earlier successfully upgraded to Win 10 Home [Retail] from Win 7 Home [Retail]. The computer had some issues with the mainboard/processor and had to be replaced. I want to move this license to a replacement PC. How can I go about this as I dont have the upgraded key for...
  5. Transferring Win 10 Retail License Obtained Through Free Upgrade from Win 7

Transferring Win 10 Retail License Obtained Through Free Upgrade from Win 7: I had earlier successfully upgraded to Win 10 Home [Retail] from Win 7 Home [Retail]. The computer had some issues with the mainboard/processor and had to be replaced. I want to move this license to a replacement PC. How can I go about this as I dont have the upgraded key for...
  6. Transferring Win 10 Retail License Obtained Through Free Upgrade from Win 7

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
  7. How to transfer upgraded Windows 10 from retail Windows 7 to other PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to transfer upgraded Windows 10 from retail Windows 7 to other PC: I bought in past Windows 7 Professional retail box. And later did free upgrade to Windows 10. After upgrade it changed to retail version of Windows 10. How I can reinstall this Windows 10 to other PC with this license? In my accout I cant see the license, only my PC at...
  8. How to transfer upgraded Windows 10 from retail Windows 7 to other PC

How to transfer upgraded Windows 10 from retail Windows 7 to other PC: I bought in past Windows 7 Professional retail box. And later did free upgrade to Windows 10. After upgrade it changed to retail version of Windows 10. How I can reinstall this Windows 10 to other PC with this license? In my accout I cant see the license, only my PC at...
  9. How to transfer upgraded Windows 10 from retail Windows 7 to other PC

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
  10. Upgrade from Home to Pro by transferring a retail license

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrade from Home to Pro by transferring a retail license: Hello. I've recently bought a new laptop to replace a stolen one. The new laptop unfortunately comes with Windows 10 Home, and to enable disk encryption I'd need a Pro licence. In the stolen laptop, I had a full price retail Windows 8 licence, later upgraded to 8.1 and 10...