Windows 10: Transferring Windows 10 OEM license, did I violate terms?

Discus and support Transferring Windows 10 OEM license, did I violate terms? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hello, so here is my situation. Previously I had a Dell Alienware x51, that came with Windows 7 Home installed on it which I upgraded to Windows 10 for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by ADG., Jan 19, 2020.

1. ADG. Win User

Transferring Windows 10 OEM license, did I violate terms?

Hello, so here is my situation. Previously I had a Dell Alienware x51, that came with Windows 7 Home installed on it which I upgraded to Windows 10 for free. I then moved it into a new case and upgraded the GPU. Recently I bought a new Motherboard, CPU, and RAM and installed them. My Windows was un-activated because of the motherboard upgrade. I typed in the license key that was on a sticker on the back of the Alienware and it worked just fine on the new motherboard. I thought nothing of it until I started researching about Windows licenses yesterday and I found out what I did may have violated some terms, which is the LAST thing I wanted to do.

I just followed this tutorial https://www.howtogeek.com/124286/how-to-uninstall-your-windows-product-key-before-you-sell-your-pc/ to uninstall the license and my Windows 10 is now un-activated. I want to know if I did violate any terms and if I am okay now that I uninstalled the license? I really don't want to get in any trouble with Microsoft or have my account terminated/banned. I'm thinking about buying a retail license from Microsoft soon.

Thank you for any help.

:)

2. Zain1254 Win User

Windows 10 OEM License Terms

I have bought an Windows 10 Pro OEM product key from hafizlab.com and its. Working fine and i contacted Microsoft support for verification and they told that key is valid. So as i am not a system builder can i use it . is it against OEM license terms? Will
    your answer be same? Thanks for help.

Read these terms. Device Partner Center

NOTE:I am talking about Windows 10 OEM License not Windows 8 or 8.1.

Zain1254, Jan 19, 2020
  3. Zain1254 Win User

Can i buy and use OEM license for my personal use as i you know that OEM licenses are for system builders . can system builders sell the product keys without giving builded system . OEM keys + DVD are available on different resellers websites . can i buy
    from them and use it. I have read this on microsoft faq that

Q. What are the different ways in which Microsoft OEM system builder Windows desktop operating system licenses can be distributed?

A. The current OEM System Builder License allows system builders to distribute Windows desktop operating system licenses in the following ways:

• Preinstalled on a new PC.
    • Unopened OEM System Builder Packs can be distributed to other system builders by themselves. Note that they must remain unopened so the receiving system builder can accept and be bound by the break-the-seal license agreement that is affixed
      to the pack.

Now please elaborate. I know that OEM keys only be used on only one system tied to it but is there any license terms that disallow it?

Zain1254, Jan 19, 2020
  4. Transferring Windows 10 OEM license, did I violate terms?

Yes, you can buy and use them, under the license terms say they are intended for system builders who are building and selling systems. There is nothing preventing the average user from purchasing a copy and use it, in fact, many people do.

Understand the limitations that come with it:

OEM versions of Windows 10 are identical to Full License Retail versions except for the following:

- OEM versions do not offer any free Microsoft direct support from Microsoft support personnel

- OEM licenses are tied to the very first computer you install and activate it on

- OEM versions allow all hardware upgrades except for an upgrade to a different model motherboard

- OEM versions cannot be used to directly upgrade from an older Windows operating system

Andre Da Costa, Jan 19, 2020
Thema:

Transferring Windows 10 OEM license, did I violate terms?

1. Transferring Windows 10 OEM license, did I violate terms? - Similar Threads - Transferring OEM license

2. OEM Win 10 license transfer

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    OEM Win 10 license transfer: Hello. 3 years ago I bought a laptop with OEM windows 10 license. 1 year ago I replaced the original HDD with SSD. Now Im thinking about buying a new laptop. My question is: do I need to buy a laptop with preinstalled windows, or is it possible to transfer windows and all...
  3. Transfer OEM license to new notebook?

Transfer OEM license to new notebook?: Hello, I have/had a toshiba qosmio X70-B-11D notebook.Which jsut stopped working and doesnt even boot anymore.However the internal harddrive seems unharmed and the files on it undamagedI can access them on another computer after turning it into an external hard driveso I...
  4. Transferring Windows license, did I violate terms?

Transferring Windows license, did I violate terms?: Hello, so here is my situation. Previously I had a Dell Alienware x51, that came with Windows 7 Home installed on it, but Windows 8 was just released around this time so I had my Uncle upgrade it to Windows 8 back in like 2012, which I then upgraded to Windows 10 for free...
  5. Transferring Windows OEM license, did I violate terms?

Transferring Windows OEM license, did I violate terms?: Hello, so here is my situation. Previously I had a Dell Alienware x51, that came with Windows 7 Home installed on it which I upgraded to Windows 10 for free. I then moved it into a new case and upgraded the GPU. Recently I bought a new Motherboard, CPU, and RAM and installed...
  6. Can I transfer windows 10 OEM license to another computer?

Can I transfer windows 10 OEM license to another computer?: I am planning to install Ubuntu on my laptop that currently runs of windows 10 OEM. Is it legal to tranfser this license to another laptop which I own/use? If yes how can I do that?...
  7. Transfer Windows OEM license to another user profile

Transfer Windows OEM license to another user profile: Hi, I have a laptop, which came with a Windows 10 OEM license. It is now activated in my windows live account or something like that. If I reinstall the OS completely and log in on this laptop, no new activation is needed. This is fine. But soon I will buy a new laptop, and...
  8. Unused Windows 10 OEM license transfer

Unused Windows 10 OEM license transfer: Hi, it's a very particular question, I have an OEM license that hasn't been used and I would like to use it on another PC other than that which it was intended for. It has never been activated. My understanding is that OEM licenses can be resold to any PC, until they are...
  9. Transfer Windows 10 Home OEM license to a new PC

Transfer Windows 10 Home OEM license to a new PC: Hi, I moved my OEM license to my new PC, workes fine, invalidated the old pc activation before. Now I’ve upgraded my old pc, formatted it, and reinstalled Windows 10 without license and I intend to sell it. But everytime it boots up into windows, I see windows picking up a...
  10. The prosecution and penalty for the transfer of an OEM license.

The prosecution and penalty for the transfer of an OEM license.: On the Internet, I have seen cases of transfer of OEM licenses after motherboard change. Assuming an OEM user has successfully transferred the license via Activation Troubleshooter, is it possible for Microsoft to prosecute them in the future? Does the OEM license agreement...