Windows 10: Transferring windows 10 pro from my old computer to my new one

Discus and support Transferring windows 10 pro from my old computer to my new one in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hey everyone, I've recently bought a new surface pro 7 and I have windows 10 pro on my old laptop which I'm looking to transfer to my new laptop.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by AshC451, Mar 4, 2021.

1. AshC451 Win User

Transferring windows 10 pro from my old computer to my new one

Hey everyone,

I've recently bought a new surface pro 7 and I have windows 10 pro on my old laptop which I'm looking to transfer to my new laptop. However when I called Microsoft the guy I was speaking to was adamant that the activation code was incorrect however that is the only one I've ever had and have kept safe written down since I upgraded my last laptop.

I really don't want to have to have to call them again as he was quite unpleasant so I'm wondering if anyone here can tell me if:

1. there's another way to transfer my windows 10 pro to my new laptop

2. is it possible that I could have gotten windows 10 pro another way as I'm only aware of activating via product key

:)

AshC451, Mar 4, 2021

2. New computer - transfer old key

Hi,

The Windows 10 Pro upgrade would be tied to the old computer and is not transferable. I believe it will be necessary to purchase Windows 10 Pro.

Try the following steps:

To upgrade, select the Start button, then select Settings >
    Update & security > Activation.

• If you have a digital license for Windows 10 Pro, and Windows 10 Home is currently activated on your device, select
      Go to Store and you'll be prompted to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro for free.
    • If you have a digital license for Windows 10 Pro, but Windows 10 Home isn't activated on your device, select
      Troubleshoot, and then follow the steps to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro.
    • If you don't have a digital license for Windows 10 Pro, Windows 10 Pro is available for purchase from the Store.
    Upgrade Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro

Smittychat., Mar 4, 2021
  3. Andre Da Costa, Mar 4, 2021
  4. tsmithnm Win User

Windows 10 Pro upgrade. Can I transfer it to my new computer?

My old computer had Windows 10 Pro and it died. I bought a new one with Windows 10 home already installed. Can I transfer my $99 Pro upgrade purchase from the old computer to the new computer?

tsmithnm, Mar 4, 2021
Thema:

1. Transferring windows 10 pro from my old computer to my new one - Similar Threads - Transferring pro old

2. Can I transfer Windows 11 from my old computer to my new one?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I transfer Windows 11 from my old computer to my new one?: First, sorry if none of this makes sense. I'm not big on computers.I'm working on building a new PC, would I be able/allowed to do the whole media creation tool, bootable disk thing on the new one using my old computer, or will I have to purchase a Windows 11 license again?Or...
  3. Can I transfer Windows 11 from my old computer to my new one?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can I transfer Windows 11 from my old computer to my new one?: First, sorry if none of this makes sense. I'm not big on computers.I'm working on building a new PC, would I be able/allowed to do the whole media creation tool, bootable disk thing on the new one using my old computer, or will I have to purchase a Windows 11 license again?Or...
  4. How to get my windows pro transferred to my new laptop from the old one?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to get my windows pro transferred to my new laptop from the old one?: Hi..I've replaced my old laptop with a new one. The old laptop had Windows 10 which I'd previously updated to 10 Pro from the online store.My new laptop came with Windows 11 Home. I wanted to transfer the "Pro" part to my new laptop. I got online with support, and was told to...
  5. How to get my windows pro transferred to my new laptop from the old one?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to get my windows pro transferred to my new laptop from the old one?: Hi..I've replaced my old laptop with a new one. The old laptop had Windows 10 which I'd previously updated to 10 Pro from the online store.My new laptop came with Windows 11 Home. I wanted to transfer the "Pro" part to my new laptop. I got online with support, and was told to...
  6. Transferring my Windows 10 Pro to a new computer

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Transferring my Windows 10 Pro to a new computer: I Bought a new computer for business use. The computer came with Windows 10 Home. How can I transfer my digital license from my old computer to the new computer?...
  7. Transferring Microsoft from an old computer to a new one

Transferring Microsoft from an old computer to a new one: Hi, I was hoping someone could help with moving my copy from Windows 10 to a new computer I'm looking to get a new build a new computer for University which I've not done before and noticed that I need a copy of Windows to operate properly, I don't want to buy another copy...
  8. transferring windows 10 from old to new computer

transferring windows 10 from old to new computer: Hi There, my old computer is packing it in, so i have got a new one. want to know if i can download windows 10 and use my product key to activeate in on the new computer or do i have to buy windows 10 again?...
  9. I want to transfer my retail Windows 10 pro licence from my old PC to a new one.

I want to transfer my retail Windows 10 pro licence from my old PC to a new one.: I've already uninstalled the key from my previous PC. But I can't use the same key on a new computer. I thought retail keys were transferable? I tried using the troubleshooter but it didn't find any solutions....
  10. How do I transfer my license from an old computer to my new one

How do I transfer my license from an old computer to my new one: how do I transfer my license from an old computer to my new one https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-transfer-my-license-from-an-old-computer/df3f59b2-7b9d-4e6e-a4b9-c57cff398e15"