Windows 10: Transferring windows product key from old motherboard to new one

Discus and support Transferring windows product key from old motherboard to new one in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I changed my hardware very recently (motherboard, cpu, gpu, ram), and now i noticed my windows isn't activated. I tried the troubleshooter, but to no... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by AkatsukiDei, Dec 9, 2019.

1. Transferring windows product key from old motherboard to new one

I changed my hardware very recently (motherboard, cpu, gpu, ram), and now i noticed my windows isn't activated. I tried the troubleshooter, but to no avail. When I try to reactivate my windows 10 by selecting my current device, i get a message "Unable to activate windows. We can't reactivate Windows on this device. Try again later."

I read somewhere that you have to deactivate the Product Key on the old device, and activate it on the new one.

Is it possible to transfer a windows license from one PC to another using the same Microsoft account?

:)

AkatsukiDei, Dec 9, 2019
  2. xlook Win User

Can I Transfer an OEM Product Key to New PC?

I built a new PC and want to install windows 8.1. For this I need to buy a product key. I was told that OEM product keys are "married" to the motherboard for life.

But lets say I install win 8.1 and use an OEM product key yo activate it. And lets say in the future I get rid of the old motherboard and install a new motherboard. Will I be able to transfer the product key to the new motherboard? Or would I need a retail product key to transfer the key to a new PC or motherboard?

xlook, Dec 9, 2019
  3. NSUSPECT. Win User
    Transfer Windows 10 key from old motherboard to new ones

Hi Microsoft! I'm a customer who uses your products, specifically Windows 10 Pro. I got a problem which is Windows 10 Activation Keys. I updated my PC through Windows 7 Pro ( Activated of course ). And right now I want to buy a new Motherboard for RAM
    upgrade purpose. So my question is: Can transfer my key from old Motherboard to the new Motherboard to get full Windows 10 Pro Activation Keys? If it is possible, please tell me how to do that? Thank you!

NSUSPECT., Dec 9, 2019
  4. Transferring windows product key from old motherboard to new one

transfer windows product key from old motherboard to another

Hi,please help me to transfer the windows product key to another motherboard..thanks!

PabloDelos Santos, Dec 9, 2019
Thema:

Transferring windows product key from old motherboard to new one

1. Transferring windows product key from old motherboard to new one - Similar Threads - Transferring product key

2. Transfer of files/data from old computer to new one

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Transfer of files/data from old computer to new one: I have a Dell 'all in one' desk top Inspiron One 2330 (Windows 10) which is failing and not worth repairing. I have purchased another Dell 'all in one' desktop model 3475 also Windows 10. My question is how can I transfer all files and data from the old computer to the new...
  3. Is Product Key Transferable to New PC?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Is Product Key Transferable to New PC?: I have decided to build a new PC instead of trying to fix the unsupported UEFI Disk problem I've had for the last year with my current PC. I have downloaded the Windows 10 Media and installed it to a USB drive. When the install routine asks for my product key, I would like to...
  4. Transfer files from old Microsoft account to the new one?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Transfer files from old Microsoft account to the new one?: I created a new Microsoft account on the laptop that I’ve bought recently. I’d like to know if I can transfer the files from my old Microsoft account that I used before....
  5. Product Key from old laptop

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Product Key from old laptop: So it seems my new laptops windows isn't genuine. I thought about buying a new copy of windows but then remembered I have this old laptop with its product key still available (but the laptop is demolished), cant I use the product key of the old laptop to activate windows on...
  6. Transfer Windows Product Key to New Hardware

Transfer Windows Product Key to New Hardware: I purchased a Gigabyte computer from an individual several years ago and want to decommission that computer and transfer the Windows OS onto the new one. The new computer is a VM I have created using Parallels on my Mac. I keep running into errors. I have obtained the...
  7. Transferring an old product key to a new system

Transferring an old product key to a new system: I could use some clarification on how product keys work, it's been a long time since I had to think about windows installations. I've been using the same copy of windows for a long time, I've upgraded it from windows 7 to windows 10, but have had the same product key for a...
  8. Transfer Windows 10 Pro product key from old laptop to new laptop

Transfer Windows 10 Pro product key from old laptop to new laptop: Hi, I currently have an old laptop that is running Windows 10 Pro and is activated, I would like to no longer use this laptop and transfer this product key (digital license) to my new refurbished laptop that is also running Windows 10 Pro. I have tried to find my product...
  9. Win10 Pro Product Key on old machine needed for new one

in Windows 10 Support
    Win10 Pro Product Key on old machine needed for new one: and of course I have no idea where my record of my product key for Win10 Pro retail got hidden. I've tried the CMD and Powershell methods and no go. How do I get my product key so I can use it my new machine? I am posting from the old one that has the key right now. 116036
  10. unwanted transfer of desktop from old computer to new one

in Windows 10 Customization
    unwanted transfer of desktop from old computer to new one: purchased new computer unpacked it and began setup I entered Microsoft password I used with old computer and all the icons and wallpaper from old computer transferred to new one. How did this happen and how do I undo it? * Moved from IE other/Windows other * OS assumed to...