Windows 10: Transparency lost for .ico files?

Discus and support Transparency lost for .ico files? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I'm changing some of my icons on my Desktop. I'm using MS Paint, and whenever I resize the file to 32 pixels horizontal and vertical, save under the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/edoms_2002, Jun 4, 2020.

1. Transparency lost for .ico files?

I'm changing some of my icons on my Desktop. I'm using MS Paint, and whenever I resize the file to 32 pixels horizontal and vertical, save under the extension .ico and save as 24-bit bitmap, the transparency never works. The area that is supposed to be transparent is white with black splotches of pixels. How can I format everything so that the transparency works properly?

submitted by /u/edoms_2002
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/edoms_2002, Jun 4, 2020

2. Why .ICO files blurry when you convert from an image?

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to follow the steps below on how to change a picture to.ico format and check if this helps. Follow the steps below to do the same:

• Select the image\picture you want to convert into .ico.
    • Now resize the image to 32x32 using Paint or Photo Gallery.
    • Save the file and just rename it to with an .ico extension and also select 24bit bitmap.
    Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Andria Maria Mendez, Jun 8, 2020
  3. Irfanview doesn't display .ico files converted with XnConvert with transparency properly

I've been using Irfanview for a little while and I've come across an issue: Opening .ico files with transparency will cause Irfanview to interpret transparent space to be black, Which causes issues when I try to view a monochrome icon.

Transparency lost for .ico files? syZMK.jpg

I've reinstalled and attempted to downgrade to the 32 bit version but nothing was fixed. I've also tried the default windows 10 photo viewer shudders to check the integrity of the files, And it looked perfect (Aside from a visual bug present in all photos viewed in it, But that's a story for another day).

As requested by harrymc, Here's the .ico file shown in the comparison.

Upon reexaminaton, I have realized that all other .ico files work fine. It's just this one little git that refuses to cooperate. Since I assumed the problem was with Irfanview, I neglected to mention that the .ico file used for this comparison was converted with XnConvert. Apologies for not mentioning that earlier.

I should add that the problematic .ico file displayed fine in Windows Photos.

However, That does still leave me with a problem: XnConvert is not working properly. The preview screen shows the transparency correctly, But the output is wrong. If anybody has any troubleshooting advice or XnConvert alternatives, I'd be glad to hear about them.

Finally, In case it could help with troubleshooting, I've attached the original .png file which I was trying to convert to .ico:

Transparency lost for .ico files? 6eN0o.png

PS: Can you guess what this icon is supposed to represent?

user951789, Jun 8, 2020
  4. JimWynne Win User

Transparency lost for .ico files?

ico files?

You're referring to icon files, and most graphics programs can open them, including Paint. Right click on a .ico file, choose "Open with..." and take your choice.

JimWynne, Jun 8, 2020
Thema:

Transparency lost for .ico files?

1. Transparency lost for .ico files? - Similar Threads - Transparency lost ico

2. Create ICO file with transparent background which looks error-free in the "small" explorer...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Create ICO file with transparent background which looks error-free in the "small" explorer...: I have an ICO file with a transparent background which looks unclean in the small detail view of Windows Explorer.My icon is a drawn shape in PhotoShop and exported as PNG in different sizes to create it in Gimp as an ICO. It looks normal and sharp everywhere except in the...
  3. Create ICO file with transparent background which looks error-free in the "small" explorer...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Create ICO file with transparent background which looks error-free in the "small" explorer...: I have an ICO file with a transparent background which looks unclean in the small detail view of Windows Explorer.My icon is a drawn shape in PhotoShop and exported as PNG in different sizes to create it in Gimp as an ICO. It looks normal and sharp everywhere except in the...
  4. Replace ico file doesn't change

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Replace ico file doesn't change: Hi, when I replace an ico file that i'm using to custom a folder icon and replace this ico file with another ico file with the same name, the file doesn't change and remains the old ico file, even if i delete this first and then place the new one in the same directory as the...
  5. Replace ico file doesn't change

Replace ico file doesn't change: Hi, when I replace an ico file that i'm using to custom a folder icon and replace this ico file with another ico file with the same name, the file doesn't change and remains the old ico file, even if i delete this first and then place the new one in the same directory as the...
  6. Converting a JPEG or PNG file to an ICO file

Converting a JPEG or PNG file to an ICO file: My computer, is a laptop. Running, Windows 10.A ICO file is real nice.It can become, the picture on a desktop shortcut.What I need is to, convert either of these files.To an ICO file.Without, mentioning names. Most of these applications, have a limit.After converting, a few...
  7. Converting a JPEG or PNG file to an ICO file

in Windows 10 Customization
    Converting a JPEG or PNG file to an ICO file: My computer, is a laptop. Running, Windows 10.A ICO file is real nice.It can become, the picture on a desktop shortcut.What I need is to, convert either of these files.To an ICO file.Without, mentioning names. Most of these applications, have a limit.After converting, a few...
  8. ico files will not show corectly.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    ico files will not show corectly.: I've been trying to get ICO files to show up in File Explorer and they will not show. I see the icon of where I can open it but not the picture itself. If anyone can help me, it would be greatly appreciated...
  9. My Custom .ico Files Are Not Working

My Custom .ico Files Are Not Working: Hi there! I customised a .ico file and it doesn't work at all. When I apply it it says that there is no icon which is weird as i designed an icon with Adobe Illustrator and saved it as .ico directory or do i need to change it into .dll? Please help me. Thanks in advance!...
  10. how to conert jpg file to ico

how to conert jpg file to ico: How do I convert a JPG file to ICO file [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-conert-jpg-file-to-ico/b39508b4-b37f-4345-a49e-87ddece3c6c9