Windows 10: Transparent desktop icon label background

Discus and support Transparent desktop icon label background in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; When looking for a solution, all I have found is talk about drop shadows. I thought that was my issue until I looked up the definition for drop... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by kitpzyxmsir, Mar 27, 2016.

1. Transparent desktop icon label background

When looking for a solution, all I have found is talk about drop shadows. I thought that was my issue until I looked up the definition for drop shadows, and that is not what I am referring to, I believe.

I'm sure you all are familiar with this, but I will attach some images to confirm we are talking about the same thing.

When the icon labels overlap, the transparency causes the label text to be obscured for both icons.

A busy desktop background that goes from light to dark further complicates matters because regardless of the text color choice (black or white), in certain areas of the desktop, the text color contrast will suffer.

I am looking for a way of returning to the Windows 98 style of solid icon label background blocks.

Thanks

:)

kitpzyxmsir, Mar 27, 2016
  2. lblv235 Win User

Created pinned desktop icons....want to change white background

Recently I created pinned desktop Icons on desktop and they all work great! They open in a full screen mode too. However, the icons themselves are relatively small (which I can handle) and all of them have a large white background that surrounds the
    icon itself. Is their an easy fix to edit the white background square to make the background transparent.

lblv235, Mar 27, 2016
  3. Jarvin13 Win User
    Windows 10 Desktop Icons Go Missing

Hello,

I have a user whos desktop icons randomly go 'transparent'. This all started when he was complaining his background was turning black (the login script that maps the daily photo was failing). Anyways, I looked at his PC and, indeed, his icons were gone.
    After hovering the cursor over the location of the missing icons, they reappear! Odd. Clicking and dragging a box over the entirety of the desktop subsequently made the other icons appear as well.

I later tried to manually set the desktop background to another photo, which made the icons disappear again. It's like applying a background places the photo on top of the icons..?

Jarvin13, Mar 27, 2016
  4. megafrog Win User

Transparent desktop icon label background

I would like to bump this thread higher, since the answer would help me as well.

megafrog, Jun 12, 2016
  5. When I posted, I thought this was a legitimate concern that would be of of interest to more users. It continues to be a annoyance to me, how it considerably obscures the ability to read desktop icon labels.

Thanks to megafrog for responding.

I would like to think the least a moderator of any forum could do is to let no thread go unanswered, even if just to inform the poster there is no known solution *Confused

kitpzyxmsir, Jun 16, 2016
  6. megafrog Win User
    In their defense this is a big forum that gives free advice from volunteers - while a response to every thread would be nice other things can happen in people's lives. Perhaps there is another forum that has a similar answer? I tried looking for this topic through google but I'm not sure about the difference between a "background" and a "label" for the naming. Is there a list of desktop icon related terms, maybe it would enable a better search?

megafrog, Jun 19, 2016
  7. I do agree, and I appreciates the help. I did not mean to appear disrespectful or ungrateful. This is free advice, and whoever moderates is under no obligation. But it is common in most forums to see threads simply passed over. It would just be nice if somebody said there is no known solution, rather than feeling no one else but you is interested.

I finally ran across a little program that does what I was was looking for, and other tasks as well.

Iconoid 386
    Iconoid - Hide and show desktop icons, make transparent backgrounds

kitpzyxmsir, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Transparent desktop icon label background

1. Transparent desktop icon label background - Similar Threads - Transparent desktop icon

2. Icon label background color

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Icon label background color: Hello, I am trying to make my computer look like an older version of Windows but I can't find any information online on how to change the icon label background color. Does anyone know how to do this?...
  3. Icon label background color

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Icon label background color: Hello, I am trying to make my computer look like an older version of Windows but I can't find any information online on how to change the icon label background color. Does anyone know how to do this?...
  4. Clear/transparent icon backgrounds

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Clear/transparent icon backgrounds: Yes, I googled it. everyone wants me to buy special/expensive software I can't afford or suggests things that don't work for PCs.Other's say there's a way to right click an image and make a specific color transparent... but only if you're using a cell phone.This is being used...
  5. Clear/transparent icon backgrounds

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Clear/transparent icon backgrounds: Yes, I googled it. everyone wants me to buy special/expensive software I can't afford or suggests things that don't work for PCs.Other's say there's a way to right click an image and make a specific color transparent... but only if you're using a cell phone.This is being used...
  6. Clear/transparent icon backgrounds

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. An icon with dark background instead of transparent?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    An icon with dark background instead of transparent?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/aarspar [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/i5vzt4/an_icon_with_dark_background_instead_of/
  8. Desktop Icon labels

Desktop Icon labels: Desktop Icon labels are shadowed, hard to read. How do I change the font for the icons? I'd prefer a simple Ariel font. [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/desktop-icon-labels/9c4c706c-65db-4310-834e-ca9ae656f2b4
  9. Desktop icons have labels but no pic???

Desktop icons have labels but no pic???: Have spent hours trying to resolve this issue but no luck. The picture part of my desktop icons has disappeared. in a folder, file thumbnails show their name/label but no picture. Have already tried the suggested 'canned' methods to repair. Useless....
  10. Transparent Start menu icon background?

Transparent Start menu icon background?: On the start menu each application / file has an associated icon. Unfortunately it appears that Windows 10 is using the accent color as the icon's background. So I get squares of color with the icon in the middle. There are screen shots from Windows 10 previews that show the...