Windows 10: Tray notification icons not showing

Discus and support Tray notification icons not showing in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Dell XPS-13 Windows 10 Creators Update The icons I choose to "show" in the tray become hidden at the next bootup or restart. Tray icon settings... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by dangnad2, Jun 1, 2017.

1. dangnad2 Win User

Tray notification icons not showing

Dell XPS-13 Windows 10 Creators Update

The icons I choose to "show" in the tray become hidden at the next bootup or restart.

Tray icon settings do not "take". Wiped out next time.

The problems with this awful update to Windows 10 are never-ending.

Please help.

:)

dangnad2, Jun 1, 2017
  2. TonyT2 Win User

Cannot open Action Center and notification off

Having upgraded to Windows 10 the Notifications Icon shows in the System Tray shows but on clicking fails to open the action centre. It has now started to show the message "New Notifications (off)". Is this an error or have I missed something to activate
    the icon?

Systems Tray Notification Icon fails to work- Original Title

TonyT2, Jun 1, 2017
  3. Linney Win User
    Linney, Jun 1, 2017
  4. pepanee Win User

Go to Settings > Personalization > (on the left) Taskbar > (scroll down) Select which icons appear on the taskbar.
    Press the top Off button to On, and press Off again. Try to set you tray icon settings, and restart the computer.

Did they get saved?

pepanee, Jun 1, 2017
  5. dangnad2 Win User
    I said I did that. They DO NOT get saved!

dangnad2, Jun 1, 2017
  6. ronzie009 Win User
    I have the same problem, I think. The icon for an application that normally minimizes to the system tray is not visible after starting or restarting the pc, but process explorer or task manager show it is running. I have to kill the process and then restart it for the app icon to show in the tray. This is happening with non-Microsoft apps, like Displayfusion, Who Is On My Wifi, and Malwarebytes Antimalware, but not for System items like the volume control or Windows Defender. The icons are set to show in "Settings>Taskbar>Select which icons appear on the taskbar".

I followed the instructions at Fix: Notification area (system tray) icons are messed up in Windows 10 - Winaero to clean up uninstalled apps from the "Settings>Taskbar>Select which icons appear on the taskbar" menu and it seemed to help for a day or so, but the problem came back.

ronzie009, Jun 1, 2017
  7. dangnad2 Win User
    Hi ronzie009 Thanks for the thoughtful reply.
    I worked with the instructions, deleted the IconStreams key but I don't have the PastIconsStream registry value.
    It didn't work.
    Just to compare notes. Do you have PerfectDisk or CCleaner? Yesterday I uninstalled PerfectDisk because I thought it was causing big problems. Then I looked for a system restore point and I don't have one back as far as 1 week ago when the tray was ok.

Going back to Windows 98 I've never had so much trouble with a "new" operating system as Win10 CU.

I'll be sure to post right back here if I discover a correction.

dangnad2, Jun 1, 2017
  8. ronzie009 Win User

I do have Ccleaner, but I can't remember the last time I ran it. I don't have PerfectDisk. My system drive is an SSD so I don't defrag it.

ronzie009, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Tray notification icons not showing - Similar Threads - Tray notification icons

2. Taskbar Tray icon not showing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Taskbar Tray icon not showing: The taskbar tray or system tray icon is gone when I updated my win 11 to beta channel build 22610.1 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/taskbar-tray-icon-not-showing/956d00f2-dbe3-40f3-9a61-aab3ae46e37b
  3. Taskbar tray icons not showing.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Taskbar tray icons not showing.: Hi.My taskbar tray has disappeared, help could come in handy.Before the tray icons disappeared: I was just using my PC. I changed the OS name in bcdedit because i wanted to name it Windows 10 home. After I shut down and turned on my computer the name worked. It was in the...
  4. Taskbar tray icons not showing.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Taskbar tray icons not showing.: Hi.My taskbar tray has disappeared, help could come in handy.Before the tray icons disappeared: I was just using my PC. I changed the OS name in bcdedit because i wanted to name it Windows 10 home. After I shut down and turned on my computer the name worked. It was in the...
  5. Notification/System tray programs showing wrongs icons

in Windows 10 Support
    Notification/System tray programs showing wrongs icons: Hello, I have a bit of an odd problem, which is purely cosmetic, yet very frustrating. My system tray apps (notification area, the right part of the taskbar) are almost always showing the icons of other installed apps (Even some that aren't currently running). In addition,...
  6. shifting icons in notification tray

in Windows 10 Customization
    shifting icons in notification tray: I have seen this problem all over the internet with no resolution. The icons in the notification area of the taskbar are shifting to the right and left continuously. I have factory reset the computer and done a clean reboot. There are no additional programs installed. All...
  7. Active Defender icon in notification tray?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Active Defender icon in notification tray?: There IS NO Tools menu anywhere. Does anyone know how to set Windows Defender to display its icon in the notification tray? Having a static shortcut icon in the taskbar accomplishes nothing....
  8. Bluetooth icon is not showing up in system tray/notification area.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Bluetooth icon is not showing up in system tray/notification area.: Hi, I was moving my mouse to fast and accidentally deleted the Bluetooth icon from my taskbar. I am stuck trying to figure out how to restore it. According to "Select which icons appear on the toolbar" in settings, Bluetooth is set to on but the test also calls it windows...
  9. Defender tray notification icon deleted

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Defender tray notification icon deleted: Hi, everyone *Biggrin Sorry to bother for small things, by mistake in CCleaner I deleted the startup entry of Defender notification icon. I remember I have seen a reg file here, in this forum but can't find it. *Banghead Could you be nice to help me finding it? I don't...
  10. Bluetooth icon not showing in system tray/notification area?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Bluetooth icon not showing in system tray/notification area?: I searched to see if anyone addresses this issue and didn't find a thread for my exact problem, pardon me if I missed it... I used to have a bluetooth icon showing in my system tray/notification area, which was a nice convenience. It disappeared within the past week or so,...