Windows 10: TREE command function misses files

Discus and support TREE command function misses files in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I just backed up a large directory from one disk to another. I noticed a different in backup size so I thought I would use the TREE command function to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by jfgraken, Mar 20, 2019.

1. jfgraken Win User

TREE command function misses files

I just backed up a large directory from one disk to another. I noticed a different in backup size so I thought I would use the TREE command function to see where the problem could be.

The TREE failed to list two files on the target drive despite the fact that they are there. If I use the DIR command and check they are both there.

I assume TREE is a tried and tested command working at a very basic level on a fundamental part of the operating system. If it is unreliable it could cause major issues if people rely on its results.

To me in my crazy world, an unpredictable computer is a broken computer. People rely on computers to be very, very precise. If a simple command fails it is very, very, very serious.

I can't see how this is my mistake. I have triple checked. I will be interested to see if MS has any IT professional who will comment.

:)

jfgraken, Mar 20, 2019
  2. regan1985 Win User

making file lists

the command f did get some files but not all of them? any idea why?

i used the command h:/tree /f films

and it gave me a a list of files from M to Z

regan1985, Mar 20, 2019
  3. Naki Win User
    GPU-Z what command line parameter ?

Suggestion: /? (-?) and /help (-help) command-line arguments to show a list of all possible arguments in a small window. *Smile TREE command function misses files :)

4. KTR
    ktr Win User

Thema:

1. TREE command function misses files - Similar Threads - TREE command function

2. File Tree / How to move a file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Tree / How to move a file: So is there a "Move File" button in the file explorer or can we just not do that anymore? As a student, I have many files to organize so I've made lots of folders to organize them. Is there a convenient way to move several documents anymore or do I just have to drag each file...
  3. File Tree / How to move a file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Tree / How to move a file: So is there a "Move File" button in the file explorer or can we just not do that anymore? As a student, I have many files to organize so I've made lots of folders to organize them. Is there a convenient way to move several documents anymore or do I just have to drag each file...
  4. tree missing from quick access

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    tree missing from quick access: Hi all, Okay, I just got a new laptop for Christmas, and am working on getting it set up. Configuration wise, I think it's pretty much there, but I can't seem to access my data. I'm having two seemingly related issues: 1. On my old laptop, I made frequent use of the tree that...
  5. tree missing from quick access

in Windows 10 Gaming
    tree missing from quick access: Hi all, Okay, I just got a new laptop for Christmas, and am working on getting it set up. Configuration wise, I think it's pretty much there, but I can't seem to access my data. I'm having two seemingly related issues: 1. On my old laptop, I made frequent use of the tree that...
  6. tree missing from quick access

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. file tree

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    file tree: Hello While working with back-up there has been encountered a lot of stress. Is there any ways and means to find a simple basic explanation how windows does display the files in the Graphical User Interface . Thank you....
  8. TREE Command Missing Files

TREE Command Missing Files: I read that another user jfgraken used the MS TREE command with /F option to obtain directory tree structure but he was missing two files. For the last couple of days, I did something similar with one of my music library directories which contains over 32,000 files....
  9. File tree confusion

File tree confusion: I'm using Windows 10. Trying to understand OneDrive and how to find documents in various locations. There's "OneDrive - Personal" where some files get stored, apparently, but that doesn't show up when I click on File Explorer on my desktop computer. Instead I see three major...
  10. Command for Command Prompt restoring missing file

in Windows 10 Customization
    Command for Command Prompt restoring missing file: Hey i saw your post about how you can boot into Command Prompt and push to restore the file, do you have that command still??...