Windows 10: Trick Win10 into using existing profile at a different profile-path -- Is it possible?

Discus and support Trick Win10 into using existing profile at a different profile-path -- Is it possible? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Following some rather clumsy warranty work on my laptop, I want to transform 'C:\Users\acer' into 'C:\Users\mark' so that, at the end of the day,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by MarkFilipak.Windows, Jul 21, 2018.

1. Trick Win10 into using existing profile at a different profile-path -- Is it possible?

Following some rather clumsy warranty work on my laptop, I want to transform 'C:\Users\acer' into 'C:\Users\mark' so that, at the end of the day, there's only one account & one profile.

I can imagine this method:

1. Copy 'C:\Users\acer' to (new) 'C:\Users\mark',
    2. Change the appropriate 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList\<profileID>' 'ProfileImagePath' entry from 'C:\Users\acer' to 'C:\Users\mark', and
    3. Restart Windows.

That might work because I'm not trying to change the GUID and I'm not trying to create a second GUID. I'm just trying to trick Windows 10 into using 'C:\Users\mark' instead of 'C:\Users\acer'.

What do 'you' think? Any comments or guidance? Any previous experiences?

Warm Regards -- Mark.

:)

MarkFilipak.Windows, Jul 21, 2018

2. CCC Profiles that disappear

id suggest a spyware check

eidairaman1, Jul 21, 2018
  3. kormath Win User
    Lost default photo viewer after profile rebuild

Thanks Brink. I've tried those steps before i started searching Google. After the profile rebuild i don't have the Photo app listed to choose to make it default in either the system settings for default apps or the Open With option.

I can't even find it doing a search. Seems to have been removed somehow with the profile rebuild, which doesn't make sense.

Might be helpful to list what i've done *Smile I've done the open with check, the choose default program in the system menu, tried that in device manager default programs also. I've checked the programs and features Turn windows features on/off and it's not listed there (never thought it was but that was a suggestion), searched the MS Store, it's not listed there either.

I don't like playing in the registry unless i have defined steps and haven't found anything for this yet, just the Win7 version like in my OP.

kormath, Jul 21, 2018
  4. eosnead Win User

Trick Win10 into using existing profile at a different profile-path -- Is it possible?

Different Profiles?

Were you allowed to use different calibrated profiles for each monitor? Windows 7 only allows one profile and I would like to have different profiles for each monitor, a 1920 x 1080 and a 4K.

eosnead, Jul 21, 2018
Thema:

Trick Win10 into using existing profile at a different profile-path -- Is it possible?

1. Trick Win10 into using existing profile at a different profile-path -- Is it possible? - Similar Threads - Trick Win10 using

2. Profile possibly corrupt - Create New Profile

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Profile possibly corrupt - Create New Profile: The original issue - O365 web based Outlook. When attaching a file the file attachment doesn't complete before stalling and disappearing. These are small PDF, text files. No limits are being reached. Mailbox is at 27% full.Windows 10 ProIt is suspected that the profile is...
  3. Profile possibly corrupt - Create New Profile

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Profile possibly corrupt - Create New Profile: The original issue - O365 web based Outlook. When attaching a file the file attachment doesn't complete before stalling and disappearing. These are small PDF, text files. No limits are being reached. Mailbox is at 27% full.Windows 10 ProIt is suspected that the profile is...
  4. Profile possibly corrupt - Create New Profile

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Using controllers on different windows user profiles

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Using controllers on different windows user profiles: Hello all,I'm having a slight issue with connecting and using my DS4 controller to a Windows 10 PC. On my main windows user profile, DS4windows and Inputmapper detect the controller and I can use it in games. However, on another user profile with the same privileges and...
  6. Using controllers on different windows user profiles

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Using controllers on different windows user profiles: Hello all,I'm having a slight issue with connecting and using my DS4 controller to a Windows 10 PC. On my main windows user profile, DS4windows and Inputmapper detect the controller and I can use it in games. However, on another user profile with the same privileges and...
  7. Different Display Name vs Profile Name - Possible?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Different Display Name vs Profile Name - Possible?: So, obviously with AD you can set someone's logon name to be first.last, but have their displayed name be Last, First. How to go about doing this on a stand-alone Win 10 Pro not on a domain or workgroup. Am I missing something? Thanks. 180750
  8. AD Profile - Home Path

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    AD Profile - Home Path: Is there a way to get the changes applied after the user logged in ? We have Cisco VPN. So when the user restarts the PC, it is not connected to network. then they launch VPN and connects to our network. So if i make a change to User's profile Home folder path in AD, then how...
  9. Different times on different profiles

in Windows 10 Customization
    Different times on different profiles: Hi all... Was wondering, is it possible to have different times set in the date/time settings for different profiles? Would be useful to me when I'm working in different time zones and want to have one account on local time, and one behaving as if I was still on home...
  10. Possible profile problem

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Possible profile problem: not aware of installing anything recently, but all of a sudden, the start menu won't select, the search bar doesn't work....also cant use right click to close running programs on the bottom bar. Plus strangely enough the mouse settings have changed. created a new user...