Windows 10: Tried cloning windows to SSD, but it created a new drive and removed my old drive.

Discus and support Tried cloning windows to SSD, but it created a new drive and removed my old drive. in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; [ATTACH] So i just bought an SSD for my PC and I heard that it was a good idea to move your windows to the SSD, so I started looking up how,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Gin4rei, Mar 12, 2020.

1. Tried cloning windows to SSD, but it created a new drive and removed my old drive.

Tried cloning windows to SSD, but it created a new drive and removed my old drive. vCrMblX2MMjWl9neLHWbWog94wcwGnD5FL9SRhobD4s.jpg

So i just bought an SSD for my PC and I heard that it was a good idea to move your windows to the SSD, so I started looking up how, downloaded AOMEI backupper, backed up my drives and pressed the system clone function on the program. after an hour, the process finished, but it wasnt what I was expecting. firstly, it removed my SSD from the accessible drives and made a new cloned C: drive. now everytime I boot up the SSD isn't there so I have to activate it from the disk management tab. I don't know what to do next and I can't seem to find any answers online for what I saw. Also when i look at the disk management tab (disk 1) it says that the C: windows disk is in my SSD but the numbers don't make sense. I just want the windows files in my SSD.

https://preview.redd.it/n4cmjbyt6am...bp&s=b48e7a8a4d222297612183a5c50a1f5f473bd14a

Also I don't use reddit too much so sorry if i'm doing something wrong

https://preview.redd.it/p28ekfyc6am...bp&s=bdc6f97766409797f8b864571ec1b9e8024dfb6a

submitted by /u/Gin4rei
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Gin4rei, Mar 12, 2020
  2. cadaveca Win User

Moving to SSD. Clone or not to clone?

Part of how I keep my SSD fast is to clone it to a platter drive, then clone back. You just want to make sure that you are only cloning teh used space, and not the empty space.

So, again, I isntall Windows to the ssd. Clone to platter drive, then clone back.

I am not sure why, but if I do not do the clone step, the drive's speed, and windows booting, decreases substantially within a week or so.

I am using a Corsair F60 SSD and a Western Digital 500AAKS as drives, and using the free version of Acronis that WD provides, if any of that matters. I am not sure, at this point.

cadaveca, Mar 12, 2020
  3. BossDweeb Win User
    Unable to Boot to Windows 10 after Cloning old SSD to new SSD

When you say 'recovered the image to the new SSD'. Did you clone from the HDD to new SSD, and why the round about method ?

I've never cloned to an external drive, with the exception of when the machine has an external hot swap SATA port, but I

have cloned from SSD to HDD and back again using a SATA connection without any issues.

The boot sector should get written to the new drive by the cloning software (I use AOEMI ). The software also sorts out

alignment differences between HDD and SSD.

If there is a problem booting with the new drive, if you swap the SATA ports so the new drive is connected to the port the

old was connected to and vice-versa, the boot sector should get written to the new drive when you reboot.

BossDweeb, Mar 12, 2020
  4. topgundcp Win User

Tried cloning windows to SSD, but it created a new drive and removed my old drive.

Cloning to SSD then swapping drive letters

@SamHobbs
    What you want done is very simple and can be done in short period of time. Here's my suggestion:
    There's 2 modes that Windows can be installed: UEFI and the old legacy MBR. Open Disk Management, look at the disk where your C drive is, if there's a
    1. EFI System Partition, your Windows was installed using UEFI.
    2. System Reserved partition, your Windows was installed using MBR
    Next, Connect your SSD to an available Sata port (no need to format or do anything). Download: Macrium Reflect Free . Install and run. Follow the steps below:
    1. From Macrium, click on image this disk under your C drive and save it to either an Internal or External Drive. This will create a single backup image of the whole disk containing your C drive.
    2. Again, from Macrium, click on Restore tab and select the image created from step 1, Select your SSD as the destination drive, click Next->Finish
    3. Exit Macrium. If your Windows was installed using MBR, Open disk management and make sure the SSD is marked "Active" else go to next step.
    4. Shutdown your PC. Disconnect the HD containing Windows C drive then connect your SSD to it.
    5. Reboot. Your PC should boot and the Windows should have C as the drive letter.

NOTE: The procedure above is to backup your Windows to an image file then copy it back to the SSD. This ensures proper cluster size aligment for the SSD. In addition, Macrium also perform Trimming for the SSD. This is more preferable than cloning.

topgundcp, Mar 12, 2020
Thema:

Tried cloning windows to SSD, but it created a new drive and removed my old drive.

1. Tried cloning windows to SSD, but it created a new drive and removed my old drive. - Similar Threads - Tried cloning SSD

2. Upgraded to an NVME drive, cloned my old boot SSD to the new drive, now my Windows...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Upgraded to an NVME drive, cloned my old boot SSD to the new drive, now my Windows...: I did a full PC upgrade last night, mobo, CPU, RAM, GPU, PSU etc. One of the things I upgraded was my boot drive, from a regular SSD to an NVME drive. I used the Macrium Reflect software to clone the SSD with my legitimate, purchased copy of Windows 10 Home to the new drive,...
  3. Upgraded to an NVME drive, cloned my old boot SSD to the new drive, now my Windows...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Upgraded to an NVME drive, cloned my old boot SSD to the new drive, now my Windows...: I did a full PC upgrade last night, mobo, CPU, RAM, GPU, PSU etc. One of the things I upgraded was my boot drive, from a regular SSD to an NVME drive. I used the Macrium Reflect software to clone the SSD with my legitimate, purchased copy of Windows 10 Home to the new drive,...
  4. Upgraded to an NVME drive, cloned my old boot SSD to the new drive, now my Windows...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Trying to Clone SSD Drive to another SSD Drive

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Trying to Clone SSD Drive to another SSD Drive: Okay, So here's the thing. Laptop with small (16GB) Optane SSD & 1TB Seagate HDD failed. Retailer tried to repair, repair failed. Retailer replaced machine with new (lower spec) machine that only has m.2 NVMe PCIe sockets. Bought a small 'Proof-of-concept' SSD to check the...
  6. Cloning old drive before installing new drive

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Cloning old drive before installing new drive: Could you point me in the right direction please ? I have a 120g SSD which I need to replace so I need to clone it so as to re-assign the content to the Adata M.2, PCIe target disc, the slot which is currently held by the 120g will be disabled when I connect the M.2 yet it...
  7. Cloning old system drive on sata SSD to a nvme SSD on a new rig.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cloning old system drive on sata SSD to a nvme SSD on a new rig.: Long story short, I need to clone the content of my old machine's sata SSD into my new machine's nvme SSD so I can continue using my current installation without losing my software, settings, personal files etc. I have a clone of my drive on another SSD at the moment for...
  8. Cloning old Windows 10 SSD to new SSD

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Cloning old Windows 10 SSD to new SSD: If I clone my old upgraded windows 10 SSD to a new SSD and do a clean install on the new SSD. Would the new cloned SSD be activated? 9609
  9. Allocation of new SSD and removal of old after cloning.....

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Allocation of new SSD and removal of old after cloning.....: Hi guys Would really appreciate some help here, and hopefully I'll be able to explain in as simplest terms as possible so as not to confuse. It may be a bit long winded but I think for someone to be able to help me they need to understand the why's and wherefore's lol - so...
  10. Clone D drive with Users to new SSD

in Windows 10 Support
    Clone D drive with Users to new SSD: I am replacing a 240 MB Crucial M500 SSD that has the User folders, installed using sysprep, with an new MX500 1TB SSD. Acronis was used to clone the old SSD to the new one. The Win10 OS is installed on a 256 MB M.2 NVMe Samsung 950 Pro drive. The motherboard is Asus-Z170...