Windows 10: Tried taking ownership of a drive but access denied

Discus and support Tried taking ownership of a drive but access denied in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I typed a command in administrator Command Prompt icacls "full path of folder or drive" /setowner "user name" /T /C Because I wanted full access and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Grey123, Oct 24, 2018.

1. Grey123 Win User

Tried taking ownership of a drive but access denied

I typed a command in administrator Command Prompt

icacls "full path of folder or drive" /setowner "user name" /T /C

Because I wanted full access and ownership of my drive, so I followed this fourm

Change Owner of File, Folder, Drive, or Registry Key in Windows 10 | Windows 10 Tutorials

It was saying it denied access to 17212 files in the log

which was crazy to me because I dont think that would happen on windows 7, thats a high level command.

This should if im right give you full access to the drive but it apparently doesn't.

Am I doing something wrong?

(To change owner to any user)

icacls "full path of folder or drive" /setowner "user name" /T /C

Am I not typing the right command whats going on?

:)

Grey123, Oct 24, 2018
  2. tfwul Win User

Folder Access Denied - OK after 'Take Ownership' - but ... why ?

Got an Access Denied error on 1 specific folder.

1) went through [Run] lusrmgr.msc steps
    then also
    2) went through secpol.msc steps

error still remained

3) applied "Take Ownership" registry setting and took ownership of the folder.
    Everything is okay now.

BUT...
    whilst the issue is solved, the 'WHY" still puzzles me.

a) I took a screenshot of Properties->Security of the 'Access Denied'-folder before the take ownership
    and after take ownership (see 'A')
    Administrators (DESKTOP-xxxxx\Administors) was added

b) I took a screenshot of some random other folder on another drive (see screenshot B)
    the Owner of the folder after 'take ownership' - my name and email address
    the Owner of the random other folder - Administrators (DESKTOP-xxxxx\Administors)

Before the 'Take Ownership'-action, when checking out the properties->security

Tried taking ownership of a drive but access denied [​IMG]

and after clicking on the the [Continue] button there, I got an error:
    "You do not have permission to view this object's security properties, even as an administrative user."

Appreciate views
    Hopefully Microsoft will fix this in their upcoming SP (there are so many endless exchanges on this)

Windows 10 x64 Pro

=

http://imageshack.com/a/img907/1736/fiIgHX.png

http://imageshack.com/a/img912/5331/8NoGE4.png

tfwul, Oct 24, 2018
  3. Access denied for internal secondary drive

Hi All,

I have a laptop running windows 10. A few weeks ago it started coming up with an error message on startup about recycle bin is corrupt on D:\ (my secondary drive). I now get access denied whenever I try to open the files/folders on the drive and am losing
    will to live as this drive has all of my work and family photo's etc... on.

• I have downloaded the take ownership tool and it is saying access denied.
    • Tried changing the drive owner on security and it wont let me as it says access denied (current owner is listed as SYSTEM).
    • Tried changing the security groups and privileges and it won't let me, access denied.
    • Admin has full control privileges and so I enabled the windows admin account (net user administrator /active:yes) and logged in but that still says access denied. My account is also an admin account but still access denied.
    • Tried switching onedrive off as heard that can cause an issue and no luck.
    • Tried using local account rather than Microsoft account and still access denied.
    • Tried a reset of the PC, still no luck
    I really am at a loss now and don't really want to have to take it to a computer shop to get them to try and retrieve.

The laptop was originally on windows 7 but upgraded to windows 10 fine. I am struggling as cannot find any other solutions on the internet, anyone go any ideas.

Cheers

Will

William Fuller, Oct 24, 2018
  4. Tried taking ownership of a drive but access denied

Location is not available F:/ is not accessible. Access is denied. External hard drive

Hi,

Most of the time, when your external hard drive shows that error message, it suggests that you don’t have the privilege of accessing to the disk partition. We need to get a permit to take ownership of the drive. Follow the steps below:

• Open File Explorer.
    • Right-click your hard drive, then select Properties.
    • Go to Security tab.
    • Click Advanced, then select Edit.
    • On the Owner tab, modify the ownership of the specified account.
    • Click Apply, then OK.
    Update us with the outcome so we can provide further assistance.

Martin Bar, Oct 24, 2018
Thema:

Tried taking ownership of a drive but access denied

1. Tried taking ownership of a drive but access denied - Similar Threads - Tried taking ownership

2. Cannot Take ownership of FAT32 USB drive, "You have been denied permission to access this...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot Take ownership of FAT32 USB drive, "You have been denied permission to access this...: I have tried running " diskmgmt.msc takeown /f E:\ /R /D Y ", I get the response "File ownership cannot be applied on insecure file systems".Every resource seems to say "Open properties, go to the security tab", but there is no security tab.I am, and have always been, the...
  3. TrustedInstaller Access Denied when taking ownership

in Windows 10 Gaming
    TrustedInstaller Access Denied when taking ownership: So I'm running Windows 8.1 Enterprise and wanted to get windows 10 so I decided to change to try and change to windows 8,1 professional. However, when I tried to change the product key in Registry Editor, I required permission from TrustedInstaller. I decided to look up a...
  4. TrustedInstaller Access Denied when taking ownership

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    TrustedInstaller Access Denied when taking ownership: So I'm running Windows 8.1 Enterprise and wanted to get windows 10 so I decided to change to try and change to windows 8,1 professional. However, when I tried to change the product key in Registry Editor, I required permission from TrustedInstaller. I decided to look up a...
  5. Taking ownership of program file folder Access denied

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Taking ownership of program file folder Access denied: [ATTACH] I was having issue with ownership/permission while I am developing using new language. Currently, my program file's owner is Trustedinstaller. I would need to change ownership so I can modify controls... but kept getting access is denied. I changed my user folder...
  6. Trying to take ownership of Content.IE5 - Access is denied

in Windows 10 Support
    Trying to take ownership of Content.IE5 - Access is denied: I'm trying to take ownership of a shortcut to: C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /c get_iplayer_web_pvr.cmd When I try, I get: Code: SUCCESS: The file (or folder): "C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe" now owned by user "ELLIOT-PC\kingm". processed file: C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe...
  7. Folder access denied and Take Ownership fails

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Folder access denied and Take Ownership fails: Hello, I have been dealing with an issue lately not being able to access the files from an external drive. That drive contains the windows 10 files that I had on my old pc. I have tried many methods of trying to take folder ownership and it keeps failing, error messages...
  8. Take ownership of file getting Access is denied error

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Take ownership of file getting Access is denied error: Hi Experts I am getting a Access is denied when running the below command on two of the files. I am running CMD as administrator. C:\WINDOWS\system32>Takeown /r /f C:\Windows\CSC SUCCESS: The file (or folder): "C:\Windows\CSC" now owned by user "XANDER\xande". SUCCESS:...
  9. Tried taking ownership of a drive but access denied

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Tried taking ownership of a drive but access denied: I typed a command in administrator Command Prompt icacls "full path of folder or drive" /setowner "user name" /T /C Because I wanted full access and ownership of my drive, so I followed this fourm Change Owner of File, Folder, Drive, or Registry Key in Windows 10 |...
  10. Folder Access Denied - OK after 'Take Ownership' - but ... why ?

in Windows 10 Support
    Folder Access Denied - OK after 'Take Ownership' - but ... why ?: Got an Access Denied error on 1 specific folder. 1) went through [Run] lusrmgr.msc steps then also 2) went through secpol.msc steps error still remained 3) applied "Take Ownership" registry setting and took ownership of the folder. Everything is okay now....