Windows 10: Tried to change drive letter in disk part - But it just made a duplicate of the drive I...

Discus and support Tried to change drive letter in disk part - But it just made a duplicate of the drive I... in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Selected the volume number that the drive was listed as in list disk. >"ASSIGN LETTER=B" (Formerly D drive - Long story short, Windows Backup told me... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/zekeRL, Jul 9, 2020.

1. /u/zekeRL Win User

Tried to change drive letter in disk part - But it just made a duplicate of the drive I...

Selected the volume number that the drive was listed as in list disk.

>"ASSIGN LETTER=B"

(Formerly D drive - Long story short, Windows Backup told me I couldn't save a system image to the drive of my OS boots off it, which it doesn't, and I read that changing the drive letter was a fix for this - Young IT newbie me wants to work on my cli skills and do it that way rather than GUI

Now, I have my original D drive and a second, mirror copy of the drive, with a drive letter of B that I don't have rights to, which I know I can go in and change the security settings for.

What did I do wrong? Was selecting the volume not the correct way to do? Also, will anything be affected by deleting the second, duplicate Drive?

Thanks for any and all tips

submitted by /u/zekeRL
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/zekeRL, Jul 9, 2020

2. Windows 10 changing USB port drive letters

Hi Joseph,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand the inconvenience you are facing currently.

I would appreciate if you can provide us the following information to help us understand the issue better.

• Since when are you facing this issue?
    • Did you make any changes in prior to this issue?
    I would like to inform you that the issue might have occurred due to some changes made to your computer.

I suggest you to try changing the drive letter of the drive and check if it helps.

Follow the steps to change the drive letter:

• Press Windows + X keys and click on Disk Management.
    • Right click on the external drive and click on Change Drive letter and paths.
    • Click on Change the button.
    • Under Assign the following Drive letter, select the desired drive letter.
    • Click Ok to save changes.
    Hope the information helps. Please let us know if the issue persist and we will be happy to assist you further.

Nachappa C K, Jul 9, 2020
  3. Lazzer408 Win User
    help. USB drive isn't assigned a drive letter.

Any usb flash drive I plug into my computer isn't assigned a drive letter. The physical drive shows in the "safely remove hardware" but it doesnt show up in disk management. I have tried to populate the volume thru the safely remove hardware properties window and it does pop up in the list but it doesn't stay there. This isn't a format or assign a letter problem. It's more complicated then that. Maybe one of the services needed for usb drive management was disabled? Suggestions needed. btw external usb harddrives work fine.

Lazzer408, Jul 9, 2020
  4. Tried to change drive letter in disk part - But it just made a duplicate of the drive I...

changing drive letter

Hi Cathie,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand the inconvenience caused. I will be glad to assist you with this.

The drive letters change automatically and alphabetically depending on the number of drives available in the computer. For example, if you connect another USB or drive to the computer, it would be named as I. This must be the reason why the letter got changed
    to H.

To better assist you, do let us know if there is already a G drive in the file explorer.

If not, you do have the option to change the drive letter through disk management according to your preference. Follow the steps below:

1. Press Windows key + R to open the run command.

2. Type diskmgmt.msc and press enter to open disk management.

3. On the left hand side of the window, right click on the "H" drive and select "change drive letter and path".

4. Click "change" and assign the preferred drive letter from the drop down list.

5. Save the changes and restart the computer if necessary.

Hope this helps.

Let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to help.

Wungraileng Vashi, Jul 9, 2020
Thema:

Tried to change drive letter in disk part - But it just made a duplicate of the drive I...

1. Tried to change drive letter in disk part - But it just made a duplicate of the drive I... - Similar Threads - Tried change drive

2. how to remove duplicate external drive letter

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to remove duplicate external drive letter: How do I remove duplicate external drive letters. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-remove-duplicate-external-drive-letter/a24687ca-32af-4462-9c1e-8b92a131a27b
  3. how to remove duplicate external drive letter

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how to remove duplicate external drive letter: How do I remove duplicate external drive letters. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-remove-duplicate-external-drive-letter/a24687ca-32af-4462-9c1e-8b92a131a27b
  4. duplicate drive letters

in Windows 10 Gaming
    duplicate drive letters: I have tried all the suggestions I found on the Internet and the drive letters still show. I renamed the registry entry to .old. Restarted my computer, reset the task manager. Why isn't it working or what else do I need to do to get ride of the duplicate letters?Thank...
  5. duplicate drive letters

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    duplicate drive letters: I have tried all the suggestions I found on the Internet and the drive letters still show. I renamed the registry entry to .old. Restarted my computer, reset the task manager. Why isn't it working or what else do I need to do to get ride of the duplicate letters?Thank...
  6. duplicate drive letters

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. Drive letters changed

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Drive letters changed: I had to reinstall Windows 10 and after doing so the drive letters changed. What was the C: drive with the OS is now the G: drive. I have two other 300GB hard drives that are pretty old. I would like to replace them with one larger drive but I feel I should first address the...
  8. Duplicate USB Thumb drive letters

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Duplicate USB Thumb drive letters: Greetings all, Can anyone tell me why I would be seeing duplicate drive letters for any USB drive i.e. thumb, ssd, etc., in the MS Explorer navigation pane. Also, when I click on the "Safely remove hardware" icon on the taskbar to remove the USB drive, it's always...
  9. Duplicate drive letter

Duplicate drive letter: I have followed regedit route but there is no key F5FB2C77.. shown under Delegate folders. Window 10 64 bit. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/duplicate-drive-letter/e43efcc0-8fb2-4d3a-8e72-b8d8d832e0e7
  10. change my hard disk drive letter from I: to D: ?

change my hard disk drive letter from I: to D: ?: I did: Search Windows > Create and format hard disk partitions > Selected clicked on drive I: > Right mouse click > Change drive letter and Paths... > Change > Assign the following drive letter: In the list of letters I have B G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z My...