Windows 10: Tried to delete windows_old from w10, failed, program list is almost empty

Discus and support Tried to delete windows_old from w10, failed, program list is almost empty in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Tried to delete windows old from w10 pro; difficult to do, kept failing, deleted files in small groups to finish. When rebooted, the start menu program... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by waynerice, Jan 11, 2021.

1. waynerice Win User

Tried to delete windows_old from w10, failed, program list is almost empty

Tried to delete windows old from w10 pro; difficult to do, kept failing, deleted files in small groups to finish. When rebooted, the start menu program list was missing most all installed programs.

I used a backup to restore the entire windows_old folder. Didn't help.

The programs are there with one Adobe exception but not list in start menu.

Why didn't the restore fix it?

Is this fixable?

Also, the icons for the missing programs in the list are still on the desktop and still work! ?

Thanks.

:)

waynerice, Jan 11, 2021
  2. NOPD Win User

Programs Missing From Control Panel List

I was able to get rid of XNVIEW by downloading it and using it's own uninstaller.
    Have tried method suggested by Pyramid 10 with photoscape without success.
    Can't figure out how to do what is asked.

Your next suggestion?

3. JoeAlder Win User
    [W10] Delete executed programs list from registry.

Hi!

I would like to delete the list of programs my PC has executed. Not the start menu recent program list, but the complete one. I'm using a program called "Executed programs list", from Nirsoft, that tells me which programs have been executed and when, but doesn't allow me to delete the registry entry associated. CCleaner hasn't been completely helpful (only deleted half of the list). The program searches data from the following registry keys:

• HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\MuiCache
    • HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Compatibility Assistant\Persisted
    • HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Compatibility Assistant\Store
    • HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\MUICache

I've also deleted those keys manually, except the ShellNoRoam one, because apparently doesn't exist in my registry, to no avail. What am I missing? Is the ShellNoRoam key elsewhere? Is there any program I can use to completely wipe this information?

JoeAlder, Jan 11, 2021
  4. mike s Win User

[W10] Delete executed programs list from registry.

Only Nir Sofer knows *Redface

Seriously, R-Wipe and Clean might be able to dig deep enough.

mike s, Jan 11, 2021
Thema:

1. Tried to delete windows_old from w10, failed, program list is almost empty - Similar Threads - Tried delete windows_old

2. Delete from Fav list?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Delete from Fav list?: How the heck do I delete a favorite from my drop down Fav list? I've read go to the "hub," etc, etc, but I don't have a hub icon visible. I have a star combined w/the 3 lines... Help! Thanks!...
  3. Startup Program "Program" from Deleted Application and Cannot Remove from List

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Startup Program "Program" from Deleted Application and Cannot Remove from List: I had uninstalled 2 programs that used to be startup applications, McAfee Safe Connect and SAO Utils Beta. The programs are gone from my Programs and Features panel, but are still listed under Startup as "Program". Their Task Manager command line arguments go as:...
  4. W10 deleted my empty folders?

in Windows 10 Support
    W10 deleted my empty folders?: I had some folders with music and media in general. Some of them where empty, just to remind me what I had to download later. Today I wake up, turn on my computer and notice they are not there anymore. WTF MICROSOFT? Can someone relate to that? How can I solve it? I'm...
  5. Empty startup list

in Windows 10 Customization
    Empty startup list: there is nothing in task manager, MSconfig, and in Windows 10 settings but I found it in ccleaner how to fix it? [ATTACH] [ATTACH] sorry for bad english https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/empty-startup-list/9a575b2f-6428-4b5c-8c3e-fddf46928bf9
  6. List of programs gone after W10 update!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    List of programs gone after W10 update!: I used to be able to left click on the windows icon and it would show me all the programs on my computer and let me open them. Most of the entries are gone after the anniversary update. Such as "windows accessories" and "windows administration tools". How can I restore...
  7. W10 Pro Start menu problems - can't pin and (almost) empty User menu

in Windows 10 Support
    W10 Pro Start menu problems - can't pin and (almost) empty User menu: Hey. A couple of issues with W10 start menu ( - not sure if they're symptoms of the same thing. This is GA x64 W10 with all current updates installed 1) Pin to start menu doesn't pin anything to the start menu. I wanted to pin File History - R click in control panel,...
  8. [W10] Delete executed programs list from registry.

in Windows 10 Support
    [W10] Delete executed programs list from registry.: Hi! I would like to delete the list of programs my PC has executed. Not the start menu recent program list, but the complete one. I'm using a program called "Executed programs list", from Nirsoft, that tells me which programs have been executed and when, but doesn't allow...
  9. Installation of W10 failed 6x. But how to stop it from trying?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Installation of W10 failed 6x. But how to stop it from trying?: Windows Update shows as kb3035583 installed but Windows 10 Pro update shows as failed around 6 times. Reading some of the threads and seeing the problems I wish to stop the attempted 10 Pro download from running until I am sure I want to proceed. I have some old programs...
  10. Upgrade from W10 Home to W10 Education fails

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrade from W10 Home to W10 Education fails: Hello everyone, I have bumped into this problem, where I am unable to upgrade my current Windows 10 Home to a Education edition. When I fill in the activation code in the Activation menu of Windows update, the upgrade process starts without a problem, and finishes to 100%....