Windows 10: Tried to perform an in-place upgrade - then....

Discus and support Tried to perform an in-place upgrade - then.... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello forum members. It has been a while since I last posted here although I am an avid reader of this forum. I need some help please. My pc was... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by nitram, May 4, 2021.

1. nitram Win User

Tried to perform an in-place upgrade - then....

Hello forum members. It has been a while since I last posted here although I am an avid reader of this forum. I need some help please. My pc was running Windows 10 Version 1703 for the last few years and everything was going well. I decided that I should update this pc to match the others in my house to run Windows 10 Version 1909 to make all the machines consistent vis-a-vis the operating system. After the update, I would make a long overdue image of the drive using Macrium Reflect ( the one I have is long outdated from 2017). So, my strategy was to use the in-place upgrade method that I had been reading so much about on this forum. I downloaded a copy of version1909 from Heidoc and saved it to a USB flash drive with no issues. I followed the steps outlined in this forum and everthing appeared to go just great. Windows version 1909 was in place and the pc started OK and ran fine (or so it seemed). I committed a second bone headed move in this step. I did not make an image of the existing C drive and ran the in-place-upgrade anyway. DUH!!!! Kaspersky AV data files needed updating (not the program) so, as per usual, I let it happen and again, all seemed well. The next day, upon starting the pc, Kaspersky gave a message saying a file was infected and deleted it. Somehow, the Kaspersky update changed the settings to automatically delete "offending files" and it was gone! The next thing, Windows gives me an error message telling me that a file in the start folder - DirectX.vbs was not able to be found. Not ... just ... great. So, out of curiosity, I ran winver to check the Windows 10 version on the pc. Sure enough, the machine reports Windows 10 Version 1909. However, the activation has changed from a digital activation to something else. The message says that the activation is consistent with that of my organization..... ??? What organization is this? Where did this come from? This pc is not a member of any organization. So, I tried to update using windows update. I get a message telling me that update will not work consistent with the settings of my organization.... Again the mysterious organization. I have a sinking feeling in my gut at this point... Now, I do have an image of the initial install. It is old (about 4 years - from the initial setup v 1607) and a more recent image made just after the update to v 1909. I know, I know, clearly my fault and lesson learned. The earliest image is from the first installation of Windows 10 and practically useless in a real world sense today. So, I tried to restore the old image, thinking that it would at least get me back to the initial setup and correct activation, et al. I installed a new ssd - a Samsung 860 EVO drive. It is an upgrade from the existing ssd (Samsung 850 EVO). I still have the previous drive with v 1909 and all current programs on it - mysterious organization and all. Using Macrium, I restored the image to the new ssd and installed it in the computer. The old system was installed and is practically useless for today's computing use. If I keep this base installation and upgrade it I am essentially rebuilding my pc from scratch, At least the activation is back to its original "Digital Activation" status. At this point am I relegated to using a somewhat working windows 10 system using v 1909 attached to some "phantom organization? Is this situation repairable? So... what to do? Do I keep the restored original installation that is on the new ssd and that is working? Use it as a starting point to rebuild my system by reinstalling all the programs again? Do I simply bite the bullet and install a newer version of Windows 10 (v 1909 or more current stable version) and reinstall all the programs from scratch again? Or, is there a way to upgrade my existing old, restored version of Windows 10 (v 1607) to a more current version (eg 1909) and restore my programs etcetera from my most current Macrium image (v 1909) without the "mysterious organization" that somehow got into it? Any thoughts or suggestions would be extremely helpful. Oh, By the way.... lessons learned through this experience - 1) Make use of my imaging software. I paid for it, so use it! Practice what I preach. 2) If it ain't broke - don't fix it! Thanks for listening and for any assistance. C.

:)

nitram, May 4, 2021
  2. nitram Win User

First a big "Thank You" to everyone who commented and provided their thoughts and suggestions to my original long winded post.

I have taken the advice from the many members of this forum and fully imaged and backed up this pc.

I have been successful in resolving two of the four issues - return to digital activation and the resolution of the DirectX startup error message.

The two issues left are: Windows update not working and Windows Defender not resetting after deletion of ESET Nod 32 AV and Kaspersky trial.

I have tried all of the suggestions in the forum to get Windows Update to work - nothing has resolved the matter.

Windows defender will simply not restart - no matter what I try.

My question at this point - will an in-place-upgrade to v 20H2 resolve these issues as well? Or am I looking yet again at a clean install?

Thanks again for your suggestions and thoughts.

nitram, May 4, 2021
  3. Tried to perform an in-place upgrade - then....

Hello @nitram,

Just some information and explanation of an In-Place-Upgrade - Repair Install . . .

In-Place-Upgrade - Repair Install
    This is a Non-Destructive Process which keeps ALL your Apps, Programs, and Personal Data Intact . . .

IMPORTANT: This is an extract from the Tutorial below . . .

> How to Do a Repair Install of Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade

Basically . . .

[1] Download the ISO to the Desktop.
    [2] Right-click the ISO > Mount.
    [3] Open File Explorer.
    [4] Double-click the Mounted Drive to open it.
    [5] Double-click setup.exe.
    [6] Choose the Upgrade option.
    [7] Select Change what to keep.
    [8] Select One of the following . . .

• Keep Personal Files and Apps.
    • Keep Personal Files Only.
    • Nothing.
    [9] Unmount the ISO by right-clicking the Mounted Drive > Eject.

The only downside is that you could POSSIBLY lose some of your personalizations.

Recommendations:
    DISABLE:

ANY Non-Microsoft . . .

• Antivirus Software.
    • Firewall software.
    • Drive Encryption Software.
    I hope this helps.

Paul Black, May 4, 2021
  4. Ghot Win User

I think the problem is that the User file is on the D drive rather than the C drive.
    I would move the User file back to the C drive and THEN do the in-place upgrade.

I think that's why you're getting the "mysterious organization", because the in-place upgrade can't find the User file.
    That may also be the reason you're "losing" the digital activation.

I've never had an issue with the In-Place Upgrade, but I never moved the User file to a different drive either.

Also, I would just Upgrade to 20H2 when doing the In-Place Upgrade.

Ghot, May 4, 2021
Thema:

1. Tried to perform an in-place upgrade - then.... - Similar Threads - Tried perform place

2. Can't perform In-place upgrade!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't perform In-place upgrade!: Hi! I am using Windows 11 laptop. I was facing major issues with Windows Update. It always fails to install with error 0x80070002. I tried each and everything possible, including troubleshooter. I even ran sfc /scannow command. I deleted SoftwareDistribution and catroot2...
  3. Can't perform In-place upgrade!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't perform In-place upgrade!: Hi! I am using Windows 11 laptop. I was facing major issues with Windows Update. It always fails to install with error 0x80070002. I tried each and everything possible, including troubleshooter. I even ran sfc /scannow command. I deleted SoftwareDistribution and catroot2...
  4. In place upgrade

in Windows 10 Gaming
    In place upgrade: Was wondering could in place upgrade be used to resetting like regdit changes and if so then what else can it restore to default? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/in-place-upgrade/ff153579-7322-4e44-8daa-8c1e0587e6dc
  5. In place upgrade

In place upgrade: Was wondering could in place upgrade be used to resetting like regdit changes and if so then what else can it restore to default? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/in-place-upgrade/ff153579-7322-4e44-8daa-8c1e0587e6dc
  6. in-place upgrade

in Windows 10 Gaming
    in-place upgrade: in-place upgrade https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/in-place-upgrade/ba32d89f-3c2a-40a0-bbfa-ceb62204675e
  7. in-place upgrade

in-place upgrade: in-place upgrade https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/in-place-upgrade/ba32d89f-3c2a-40a0-bbfa-ceb62204675e
  8. In-Place Upgrade

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    In-Place Upgrade: Hi Paul. Understood your In-place process. But what if I have multiple accounts on my PC Admin, my kids, and my wife...etc would I lose any of those accounts if I did this procedure? Do I need to be worried about any loss of any personal data/info/files on my computer?Sam...
  9. Questions about performing an in place upgrade

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Questions about performing an in place upgrade: The In Place Upgrade method is something Ive been reading up on but haven't tried as yet. Im interested in getting feedback from others who use the in place upgrade method. https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/16397-repair-install-windows-10-place-upgrade.html The same...
  10. How to perform Windows 10 in-place upgrade

in Windows 10 News
    How to perform Windows 10 in-place upgrade: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]There are several ways to upgrade Windows 10. You can use Windows Update service to download the feature update, or you can create an ISO, or you can use the Media Creation Tool. The last one helps you perform Windows [...] This post How to perform Windows...