Windows 10: Tried to restore a backup in my registry edit. Came up with "Cannot import.. Not all data...

Discus and support Tried to restore a backup in my registry edit. Came up with "Cannot import.. Not all data... in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; [ATTACH] submitted by /u/yishuen [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/j00ay6/tried_to_restore_a_backup_in_my_registry_edit/ Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/yishuen, Sep 26, 2020.

1. Tried to restore a backup in my registry edit. Came up with "Cannot import.. Not all data...

/u/yishuen, Sep 26, 2020

2. Registry editing

Hello,

This issue may have occurred after one of the following situations:

• You upgrade the Windows operating system.
    • You install or uninstall CD or DVD recording programs.
    • You uninstall Microsoft Digital Image.

Given that, we suggest performing the methods in this article:
    Your CD or DVD drive is not recognized by Windows or other programs
    The resolutions that are listed in that article may help solve some instances but not all instances of this problem.

Important:This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow
    these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, refer to the following Microsoft Knowledge Base
    article.

Feel free to update us with the results.

Michelle Vil, Sep 26, 2020
  3. laptop vista complete restore

Backup your important data and games and do a complete reinstall is someone suggested. This will help clean up clogged registry keys that are useless and slows down your PC and also wiping out undetectable spywares or viruses.

spearman914, Sep 26, 2020
  4. Tried to restore a backup in my registry edit. Came up with "Cannot import.. Not all data...

Can we take a registry backup while editing the Registry on Windows 10

Hi Luke,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

As you have edited the registry it doesn't have any option to save your changed settings, system will automatically gets the updates on you edit. You will have to re-do the things you have performed earlier.

If you try to take a backup of the registry now, it will be created with the current state and not with the state you started with.

Registry disclaimer: Important this section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that
    you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs.

Refer to the below article to backup and restore the registry in Windows:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756/

Note: The above links applies to Windows 10 as well.

I suggest you to perform System Restore to the earlier point before performing the registry edit and check if it helps.

When you perform a System Restore the time and date would be changed on your computer.

System Restore: Though it is said that System Restore does not affect your personal information such as email, documents, photos, videos, etc., but there is highly possible that some of your personal files are deleted
    while system restoring.

During System Restore, there may be errors and such errors may cause damage to the files that are present in the system. And, computer shutdown during restoring process may also lead to file loss. Sometimes when System Restore is failed, it may lead
    to loss of important files as well.

I recommend you to refer to the Microsoft article to perform System Restore:
    Recovery options in Windows 10

Section: Restore from a system restore point

Hope it helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of this issue, we will be happy to help you.

Deepika Gowda, Sep 26, 2020
Thema:

Tried to restore a backup in my registry edit. Came up with "Cannot import.. Not all data...

1. Tried to restore a backup in my registry edit. Came up with "Cannot import.. Not all data... - Similar Threads - Tried restore backup

2. WIN10: Tried importing Registry backup, OS nor safemode will boot

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    WIN10: Tried importing Registry backup, OS nor safemode will boot: Yeah. I messed up big-time. I was originally going to fix my CD-ROM drive because it wasn't showing up at all in device manager, and I ended up absent-mindedly following some tutorials where they edited the registry. Mostly just adding things. When that didn't work, I just...
  3. WIN10: Tried importing Registry backup, OS nor safemode will boot

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    WIN10: Tried importing Registry backup, OS nor safemode will boot: Yeah. I messed up big-time.I was originally going to fix my CD-ROM drive because it wasn't showing up at all in device manager, and I ended up absent-mindedly following some tutorials where they edited the registry. Mostly just adding things. When that didn't work, I just...
  4. I cannot restore a registry edit I exported

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I cannot restore a registry edit I exported: Context: I have been trying to understand this registry hack to show the option to open both command prompt and shell using a right-click context menu. source:...
  5. Editing registry data value with CMD

in Windows 10 Support
    Editing registry data value with CMD: hey all , i need to edit a registry value data without overwriting the previous one , i just want to add a string for example and not to change the entire value , and it needs to be we the command prompt , i hope i was clear with my question ill appreciate any help 173859
  6. Registry Backup & Restore

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Registry Backup & Restore: After becoming disenchanted with the Windows Restore Point methodology, I’ve started taking manual registry backups using ‘RegEdit’. My query is that if I need to restore from one of these backups, does it completely replace the current contents of the registry, or, does...
  7. Cannot import Registry File, Not all Data was successfully written to the Registry

in Windows 10 News
    Cannot import Registry File, Not all Data was successfully written to the Registry: [ATTACH]Windows Registry allows any user to take backup and restore registry files. While the […] This article Cannot import Registry File, Not all Data was successfully written to the Registry first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  8. How to import data into Outlook that came from......

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to import data into Outlook that came from......: How to import into my Outlook 2016 accounts, data that were backed up and exported to my laptop? I've been trying for 2 months and haven't been able to do it. I find it too confusing. I followed some instructions given me but I get to a point where I can't find what it...
  9. Restore backup data

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Restore backup data: My computer was attacked by Malware. I took a backup of the data and reset my PC the OS. I ran a scan of my external hard drive which contains my backup and some threats were detected and removed. Now I'm trying to restore the data through Control Panel> System and Security >...
  10. Cannot edit registry

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot edit registry: Hello. I can't edit anything in the registry. I searched on a solution and all I could find was people saying to change the permissions, which I have done, but it still won't let me edit anything, the same error message pops up as before. Can anyone help please? 103715