Windows 10: Tried to restore corrupt profile, think I lost everything.

Discus and support Tried to restore corrupt profile, think I lost everything. in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hey guys .. I recently followed this guide to fix my corrupt windows profile (I could still log in, things just were not working right):... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Vrgin_Iced_Americano, Jun 5, 2020.

1. Tried to restore corrupt profile, think I lost everything.

Hey guys .. I recently followed this guide to fix my corrupt windows profile (I could still log in, things just were not working right): https://www.techbout.com/fix-corrupt-user-profile-windows-10-9139/

I followed: 1. Use Registry Editor to Fix Corrupt User Profile in Windows 10

I backed up all my data to another local profile (userB), as well as created a restore point before anything.

When I rebooted, not only was the data I transferred to userB gone, but there were no restore points either. This was my entire life .. I am such a fucking moron. I'm not even sure what I did, and thought I was taking all the right precautions. Is there absolutely anything I can do?

Thank you in advance .. any help would be truly appreciated.

submitted by /u/Vrgin_Iced_Americano
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Vrgin_Iced_Americano, Jun 5, 2020
  2. kormath Win User

Lost default photo viewer after profile rebuild

Thanks Brink. I've tried those steps before i started searching Google. After the profile rebuild i don't have the Photo app listed to choose to make it default in either the system settings for default apps or the Open With option.

I can't even find it doing a search. Seems to have been removed somehow with the profile rebuild, which doesn't make sense.

Might be helpful to list what i've done Tried to restore corrupt profile, think I lost everything. :) I've done the open with check, the choose default program in the system menu, tried that in device manager default programs also. I've checked the programs and features Turn windows features on/off and it's not listed there (never thought it was but that was a suggestion), searched the MS Store, it's not listed there either.

I don't like playing in the registry unless i have defined steps and haven't found anything for this yet, just the Win7 version like in my OP.

kormath, Jun 5, 2020
  3. masplin Win User
    Struggling to recreate corrupted profile

Somehow i have done something horrible with my profile so wanted to create a new one. I tried a few system restores but they all have the same issue. My account is linked to microsoft account so trying to avoid just deleting the account and starting again. i have read some posts suggesting creating a test account, login under that then rename the current profile as .old. then restart and login should create anew profile. i can then copy across any bits of the old profile I'm confident haven't been corrupted.

However I cannot seem to rename my current profile as get the attached error message.

Tried to restore corrupt profile, think I lost everything. [​IMG]

Any suggestions how i move forward would be appreciated

Mike

Win 10 pro

masplin, Jun 5, 2020
  4. psyko12 Win User

Tried to restore corrupt profile, think I lost everything.

Alternate way of restoring lost things?

Hmm in a certain case, I lost/corrupted the Systems "Plug and Play Device Software enumerator", Thank goodness for system restore... Is there any other way of re-installing it? Except re-installing complete windows, due to the said devices' drivers corruption I get blue screens when trying to access certain devices on the pc, lol thank God for Sys restore

psyko12, Jun 5, 2020
Thema:

Tried to restore corrupt profile, think I lost everything.

1. Tried to restore corrupt profile, think I lost everything. - Similar Threads - Tried restore corrupt

2. Corrupt desktop.ini I think

in Windows 10 Customization
    Corrupt desktop.ini I think: I have a 13TB external hard drive that I keep a slew of media on. I like to take movie poster art .jpg and have it be my folder thumbnail. What's happening is a folder lots of 'em, really will all of a sudden lose the properties specified by the desktop.ini. So will every...
  3. I think joy.cpl is corrupted.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    I think joy.cpl is corrupted.: my Bluetooth controller keep pressing a button. I checked joy.cpl and I see that the button 5 is pressed all the time, but when I eliminate it from Bluetooth and reconnect it works fine till I press any key, then it start to keep pressing button 5. I tryed to run sfc...
  4. Restore Corrupt Roaming Profile from Good Local Profile?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Restore Corrupt Roaming Profile from Good Local Profile?: Windows complains that my roaming profile is corrupt and says that it is logging me in with a local profile. This profile is missing a few customizations but seems to otherwise OK. Fixing this profile would be less work than reconfiguring a default profile, which is what the...
  5. Restore Corrupt Roaming Profile from Good Local Profile?

in Windows 10 Support
    Restore Corrupt Roaming Profile from Good Local Profile?: Windows complains that my roaming profile is corrupt and says that it is logging me in with a local profile. This profile is missing a few customizations but seems to otherwise OK. Fixing this profile would be less work than reconfiguring a default profile, which is what the...
  6. Touchpad not working. Tried everything I can think of.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Touchpad not working. Tried everything I can think of.: Hi. I have a 2-week old ASUS UX333FN laptop that now has a trackpad that doesn't work. Everything was fine when I first got it, although there were times when the trackpad would stop functioning when my laptop went into sleep mode. I could get the trackpad to start working...
  7. I think I've tried everything but no dump file is created

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    I think I've tried everything but no dump file is created: I have been getting various BSODs for more than a month KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED, SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION, SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED, KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE, KERNEL_MODE_HEAP_CORRUPTION but no Dump Files are created there is no C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP and...
  8. I think I've tried everything but no dump file is created

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    I think I've tried everything but no dump file is created: I have been getting various BSODs for more than a month (KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED, SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION, SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED, KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE, KERNEL_MODE_HEAP_CORRUPTION) but no Dump Files are created (there is no C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP...
  9. Restore a corrupt user profile Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Restore a corrupt user profile Windows 10: A few days ago I shut my computer down and turned it on, and when I did, I saw that my user profile was corrupt, and I had been given a temporary account. I shut the computer down a few more times after that, and also shut off my security program just in case, but nothing was...
  10. I have tried everything, I think this is NEW WEIRD VIRUS

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    I have tried everything, I think this is NEW WEIRD VIRUS: Below is the error information I received. I can not open settings to change anything or get in under admin clearance. I can not download anything either as I tried a paid service with avg to scan computer for virus and wont let me. Description Faulting Application Path:...