Windows 10: Tried to run CDfs-mounted disk in a DVD/CD only external optical disk reader, now this PC...

Discus and support Tried to run CDfs-mounted disk in a DVD/CD only external optical disk reader, now this PC... in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Order of events:- set my grandpa's newly-arrived external disk reader to automatically play an inserted DVD in VLC media player on his PC, which I test... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by fhfhfhfh, Nov 25, 2022.

1. fhfhfhfh Win User

Tried to run CDfs-mounted disk in a DVD/CD only external optical disk reader, now this PC...

Order of events:- set my grandpa's newly-arrived external disk reader to automatically play an inserted DVD in VLC media player on his PC, which I test successfully- he insterts a DVD today, automatically loads up and plays in VLC media player as expected- he then inserts a CDsf-mounted disk into the reader; he doesn't have the technical wherewithal to know how to look at and attempt to run a disk from File Explorer, so I don't know what hypothetically would have come up for him then, but he reports that there was no pop up upon inserting it, and there was no notification in the tray prompting

:)

fhfhfhfh, Nov 25, 2022

2. CD/DVD Player Not Reading CD or DVD Disks

Since upgrading my desktop to Windows 10 Pro 64-bit from Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit my CD/DVD drive (ASUS DRW-24F1ST) can no longer read data from or play CDs or DVDs. It is, however, recognized in Device Manager and is shown as working properly under Properties.
    It also shows up as a drive in This PC. I have tried several audio CDs and DVD movies without success.

I tried a USB external CD/DVD drive (Samsung SE-S084) which I know works with a laptop running Lubuntu and I got the same result as with the ASUS internal drive in the desktop PC. Nothing happens and the inserted disk is unreadable. In addition, I also
    tried the external drive on a Windows 10 Pro 64-bit Lenovo ThinkPad without an internal CD/DVD drive and I got the same result. The system detects the drive but can not read the data on the inserted disk.

From this I conclude the problem is an issue with Windows 10 Pro 64-bit and not the drives. Any ideas? Thanks.

SteveRoman, Nov 25, 2022
  3. How to restore Optical disk device & driver HL-DT-ST DVD RAM GUBON?

The Optical disk device & driver [HL-DT-ST DVD RAM GUBON] is missing in DEVICE MANAGER List, SO CD'S DVD'S WILL NOT READ.

How to restore the Optical disk device & driver HL-DT-ST DVD RAM GUBON?

Isn’t there a trouble shooter that will diagnose and reinstall missing windows devices??

RobertStock1, Nov 25, 2022
  4. Nikhar_K Win User

Tried to run CDfs-mounted disk in a DVD/CD only external optical disk reader, now this PC...

how do I open the cd/dvd disk drive on the back of the HP envy all-in-one?

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

For better clarity, please let us know:

• When you say, “how do I open the cd/dvd disk drive on the back” are you not able to open the drive to enter a disk or trying to replace the drive?
    • What is the exact model number of the HP Envy PC that you are using? To check type:
      msinfo32 in the search bar on the Taskbar and hit
      Enter.

If the CD/DVD drive is not getting detected on the computer, I would suggest you to refer the steps mentioned in the HP article
    HP PCs - CD/DVD Drive Is Not Detected (Windows 10, 8).

If you are unable to burn CD/DVD using the drive, I suggest you to refer the steps mentioned in the HP article

HP PCs - CD or DVD Drive Cannot Burn Discs (Windows 10, 8)

Please provide more information on the issue that you are facing to help you with the appropriate steps.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Nov 25, 2022
Thema:

1. Tried to run CDfs-mounted disk in a DVD/CD only external optical disk reader, now this PC... - Similar Threads - Tried run CDfs

2. External cd reader

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External cd reader: I have a Lenovo laptop on Windows 11,I need to add an external cd reader as the laptop doesn't have one, is this possible and which ones do you recommend I live in the ukThanksJulia...
  3. External cd reader

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External cd reader: I have a Lenovo laptop on Windows 11,I need to add an external cd reader as the laptop doesn't have one, is this possible and which ones do you recommend I live in the ukThanksJulia...
  4. Tried to run CDfs-mounted disk in a DVD/CD only external optical disk reader, now this PC...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Tried to run CDfs-mounted disk in a DVD/CD only external optical disk reader, now this PC...: Order of events:- set my grandpa's newly-arrived external disk reader to automatically play an inserted DVD in VLC media player on his PC, which I test successfully- he insterts a DVD today, automatically loads up and plays in VLC media player as expected- he then inserts a...
  5. Tried to run CDfs-mounted disk in a DVD/CD only external optical disk reader, now this PC...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Tried to run CDfs-mounted disk in a DVD/CD only external optical disk reader, now this PC...: Order of events:- set my grandpa's newly-arrived external disk reader to automatically play an inserted DVD in VLC media player on his PC, which I test successfully- he insterts a DVD today, automatically loads up and plays in VLC media player as expected- he then inserts a...
  6. Are all laptop dvd/disk readers the same?

Are all laptop dvd/disk readers the same?: So I look on Amazon, and find a hard disk drive laptop DVD/disk drive enclosure, do these things actually work on all laptops?And therefore could I use one on mine?...
  7. Optical drive cannot recognise any dvd disks

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Optical drive cannot recognise any dvd disks: I wanted to install a wifi software to my Dell Optiplex 3010 SFF but I found that there were troubles with the optical drive it came with. Windows cannot detect any dvd disk I insert. I want to know what I can do if this is an OS problem or a hardware problem. If it’s a...
  8. Windows CD but No Disk reader.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows CD but No Disk reader.: Hi, I was wondering what I should do. I just built a new pc and accidentally ordered windows as a cd and with no reader, I am stuck without a usable computer. I was wondering if I could trade in the unused product key for a digital flash drive download. I like using windows...
  9. CD/DVD wont recognize disks.

CD/DVD wont recognize disks.: New win 10 and new dirve .drive shows in 'this computer'. Cant recognize any disks. here is the event log: [img] 32244
  10. CD\DVD CD-ROM Optical drive installed as disk drive 01 NOT initialized

CD\DVD CD-ROM Optical drive installed as disk drive 01 NOT initialized: *Confused Fresh install of Windows 10 on Dell Inspiron M5030 from my KLite USB drive where I have only added the correct, workable AMD-4200 video driver to the normal Windows 10 ISO. Windows 10 is functioning properly EXCEPT my TSST DVD+/-RW TS-L633C shows in Device Manager...