Windows 10: Trim a New SSD?

Discus and support Trim a New SSD? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Several months ago I replaced my system disk with an SSD. NowI just installed a Sandisk 240g to replace an old HDD data disk on build 1703. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by JJG10, Aug 22, 2017.

1. JJG10 Win User

Trim a New SSD?

Several months ago I replaced my system disk with an SSD.

NowI just installed a Sandisk 240g to replace an old HDD data disk on build 1703. I initialized and formatted it using Minitools Partition Magic as a GPT disk and copied my the data from the HDD to the new SSD. The system works faster but I wonder do I need to 'trim' it. I tried the TRIM command I have read about but I got a message saying that command was not recognized. Should I be worried? Do I need to do anything in addition to what I have done?

Thank you.

:)

JJG10, Aug 22, 2017

2. Windows 10 Photos App makes my videos colors dull AFTER trimming it (The latest Windows 10 updates as of Oct 28, 2017)

Same here... after trimming new move is brighter Trim a New SSD? :(

Paulina Stopa, Aug 22, 2017
  3. DH1A Win User
    Bit Rate for Windows Movies and TV

Windows movie and tv has an edit option in the lower right side of the scren when playing a movie. It looks like a pencil. There is an option to edit and trim. Select trim and it opens a new window.

4. Trim a New SSD?

WIndows 10 should optimize the SSD on its own. To check right click on the drive, choose properties, tools, optimize. The drive should show as Solid state. You can click on the Optimize command and it should show that it's "trimming" the drive.

ArnoldLayne, Aug 23, 2017
  5. lx07 Win User
    To clarify, there is no such command as TRIM you need to do. You can't type it in anywhere.

TRIM is a description of the effects that happen when a program tells your SSD to tidy itself up (and free deleted blocks for writing which on a new SSD is irrelevant).

Press the *Start button and search for defragment and optimize drives. You'll see this screen:

Trim a New SSD? [​IMG]

If it says "Solid state drive" under "Media type" then that is all you need to do - windows will issue the TRIM command during normal maintenance as it sees fit and you needn't do anything else at all.

If you really want to you can go to a command prompt and run defrag (which will do TRIM for you) but there is normally no need.

The command you would want is defrag /c /u and there is a tutorial about it here Optimize and Defrag Drives in Windows 10 Windows 10 Performance Maintenance Tutorials

6. JJG10 Win User
    Thank you both ArnoldLayne and I0X7. Those were very helpful and I now have the warm fuzzies about TRIM.

JJG10, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Trim a New SSD?

1. Trim a New SSD? - Similar Threads - Trim SSD

2. SSD No trim Supported

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SSD No trim Supported: In above Image SSD drive Shows Trim Not supported. but my SSD drive supports Trim.can i perceive that My ssd Drive is not trimmed by Operating system or Storage controller....
  3. SSD No trim Supported

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    SSD No trim Supported: In above Image SSD drive Shows Trim Not supported. but my SSD drive supports Trim.can i perceive that My ssd Drive is not trimmed by Operating system or Storage controller....
  4. Can Windows 10 trim an SSD written by Windows XP?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can Windows 10 trim an SSD written by Windows XP?: Can Windows 10 trim an SSD that is swapped between Windows XP and Windows 10 systems? Any potential issues? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-windows-10-trim-an-ssd-written-by-windows-xp/e78100bc-8d83-4411-b646-8cabca5db288
  5. Can Windows 10 trim an SSD written by Windows XP?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can Windows 10 trim an SSD written by Windows XP?: Can Windows 10 trim an SSD that is swapped between Windows XP and Windows 10 systems? Any potential issues? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-windows-10-trim-an-ssd-written-by-windows-xp/e78100bc-8d83-4411-b646-8cabca5db288
  6. Can Windows 10 trim an SSD written by Windows XP?

7. ssd optimization issue TRIM

ssd optimization issue TRIM: I have 3 ssd's installed on my computer . . one of the drives cannot be optimised when the tools option is selected the ssd properties optimization not available does anyone know a fix?OS WINDOWS 11...
  8. ssd optimization issue TRIM

in Windows 10 Gaming
    ssd optimization issue TRIM: I have 3 ssd's installed on my computer . . one of the drives cannot be optimised when the tools option is selected the ssd properties optimization not available does anyone know a fix?...
  9. Why is the Windows 11 TRIM schedule once a week for optimizing SSD's?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why is the Windows 11 TRIM schedule once a week for optimizing SSD's?: Defrag/optimize drives defaults at once a week.Why isn't it done more frequently?Doesn't Trim reduce wear and increase performance or is there diminishing returns or some other factor?...
  10. Why is the Windows 11 TRIM schedule once a week for optimizing SSD's?

Why is the Windows 11 TRIM schedule once a week for optimizing SSD's?: Defrag/optimize drives defaults at once a week.Why isn't it done more frequently?Doesn't Trim reduce wear and increase performance or is there diminishing returns or some other factor?...