Windows 10: TRIM for SSD drive

Discus and support TRIM for SSD drive in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a new Dell desktop PC with WIN 10. It has a hard drive (D:) and a SSD (C:). In the past I have always defragged my hard drive but I understand... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by MarianWalsh, Dec 3, 2019.

1. TRIM for SSD drive

I have a new Dell desktop PC with WIN 10. It has a hard drive (DTRIM for SSD drive :) and a SSD (CTRIM for SSD drive :). In the past I have always defragged my hard drive but I understand that I should not optimize/defrag the SSD - that WIN 10 by default uses TRIM to optimize the SSD. I read that TRIM is set as a default in WIN 10 and that it optimizes the SSD once a week. But when I look at the properties for the SSD drive, it shows that it has not been optimized for 14 days.

1. How do I know that TRIM is working?

2. If it isn't set as a default, how to I change that?

Thanks.

M Walsh

:)

MarianWalsh, Dec 3, 2019

2. Windows does not Trim SSD on schedule

Why is it, that in Windows 10, I can trim an SSD manually via the optimization center, but the scheduled Trim is not happening? The SATA drive is set up as an ordinary NTFS drive, is recognized as an SSD (just as my disk drives are recognized correctly)
    and it is included in the choice of drives to optimize (daily). Windows defragments the disk drives on the daily schedule, but the calendar for SSD optimization via TRIM just starts racking up the days since the last manually stimulated occurrence. Howcomezit?

BTW, I would search Windows events for the optimization, but Microsoft forgot, for the umpteenth time, to include a full search mechanism in the Event Viewer.

Oh - with regard to categorization of this question, is this topic considered one related to devices or to storage?

%-\

ITG

ITgreybeard, Dec 3, 2019
  3. Windows does not Trim SSD on schedule

Optimization for HDD is only defragmentation, optimization for SSD may be TRIMming or defragmentation if SSD is too fragmented.

One may say TRIM is OS dependent because there must be someone to send SSD information about file deleting. So, e.g. Windows XP does not support TRIM and one have to install additional programs for TRIM functionality.

Garbage collection is SSD internal mechanism, it works much better if SSD gets TRIM information.

To determine does TRIM works or no there are some third party programs. But please note, even if SSD have got TRIM information this does nor mean it will use it immediately. It may delay it for sometime even for day or more if it have a lot to do due to garbage
    collection.

Igor Leyko, Dec 3, 2019
  4. TRIM for SSD drive

SSD cannot be trimmed after Windows Anniversary Update.

After Windows Anniversary Update I cannot Trim my 2 SSD's

Can anybody help or suggest what to do?

Thank you.

jaburmester, Dec 3, 2019
Thema:

TRIM for SSD drive

1. TRIM for SSD drive - Similar Threads - TRIM SSD drive

2. SSD No trim Supported

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SSD No trim Supported: In above Image SSD drive Shows Trim Not supported. but my SSD drive supports Trim.can i perceive that My ssd Drive is not trimmed by Operating system or Storage controller....
  3. SSD No trim Supported

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    SSD No trim Supported: In above Image SSD drive Shows Trim Not supported. but my SSD drive supports Trim.can i perceive that My ssd Drive is not trimmed by Operating system or Storage controller....
  4. About trimming SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    About trimming SSD: Hello everyone. I would like to ask how often I should trim my SSD by using the disk defragmentation utility of Windows 11. Thanks. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/about-trimming-ssd/ab835a3b-fb60-4fd7-b902-0cd36486b1a2
  5. ssd trim problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    ssd trim problem: Hello I have 2 ssd drives micron and lexar and after windows 10 1709 version to latest version of windows 10 and windows 11 I'm having trim not enabled issue, hdd sentinel software says that trim is supported but disabled and I have tried many ways and software's but I just...
  6. ssd trim problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    ssd trim problem: Hello I have 2 ssd drives micron and lexar and after windows 10 1709 version to latest version of windows 10 and windows 11 I'm having trim not enabled issue, hdd sentinel software says that trim is supported but disabled and I have tried many ways and software's but I just...
  7. ssd trim problem

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  8. Did trim works with encrypted ssd drive?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Did trim works with encrypted ssd drive?: Hi did trim works on Ssd encrypted drive? Windows 10 Pro os https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/did-trim-works-with-encrypted-ssd-drive/aef53eab-e9e4-45d3-b2e2-93bc5b240c4d"
  9. ssd trim

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    ssd trim: NTFS DisableDeleteNotify = 0 (Disabled) I have read articles and none show this so does this mean my trim is enabled or disabled? I think the 0 means it is enabled but it says disabled at the end. 134705
  10. SSD Trim Question

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    SSD Trim Question: Hi There Wondering if SSD Trim does it autoly with Windows Maintenance task? or if I should run that manually weekly, I set in the SSD dashboard, Enable Trim, Weekly for the schedule, but not sure if it ran, states under it last run none. Very very new to SSD drives, first...