Windows 10: Trmming an External HDD? Maybe a W10 Pro bug?

Discus and support Trmming an External HDD? Maybe a W10 Pro bug? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hey folks - Think I found something... Look... [img] What's going on here? Windows 10 Pro, Build 1803. *Confused 113183 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Compumind, Jun 30, 2018.

1. Compumind Win User

Trmming an External HDD? Maybe a W10 Pro bug?

Hey folks -

Think I found something... Look...

Trmming an External HDD? Maybe a W10 Pro bug? [​IMG]

What's going on here? Windows 10 Pro, Build 1803.

*Confused

:)

Compumind, Jun 30, 2018

2. Is the New W10 v1803 a BUG BOMB???

Does anybody agree that W10-v1803 is the buggiest W10 version ever?

The current version (v1803) of W10 feels like using Millennium, Vista, or W8 … because I am encountering so many annoying bugs! In fact, W10-v1803 is so annoying that I am using W7 again.

About 3 weeks ago, I performed a clean install of W10 Pro v1803 on my Dual-OS workstation. Since then, I encountered an unusual amount of 'minor' bugs, such as:

1. W10 Screen Saver didn't work 'out of the box'.

2. W10 Sticky Notes would 'freeze' and require a 'forced close'.

(Microsoft Community provided 'workaround' fixes for both of the above issues.)

3. Hardware drivers that were compatible in the previous W10 v1709 failed to work properly in v1803.

a. Nividia GeForce drivers would not keep custom display settings following reboot (until the release of the current driver this past week).

b. My older Canon Photo Printer's W7 drivers worked in W10-v1709...but won't work in W10-v1803 (even if compatibility mode is tried).

c. My older MSFT LifeCam's W7 drivers are not working in W10-v1803.

I can cite several other 'minor' bugs...BUT TODAY I ENCOUNTERED THE WORST v1803 BUG SO FAR!!!

This morning I attached a brand new external hard drive (using a Thermaltake HDD enclosure and a WDC Enterprise HDD). W10-v1803's File Explorer did NOT recognize the new external HDD. W10-v1803's Disk Management did 'see' the external HDD...but FAILED
    TO initialize that HDD (thus it was rendered useless in W10).

WHAT HAPPENED NEXT CONVINCED ME THAT W10-V1803 IS A BUG BOMB!

I rebooted my workstation into W7 Pro (from W10 Pro v1803). GUESS WHAT HAPPENED!!! W7 Pro's
    Windows Explorer recognized the external HDD. Then W7's Disk Management easily initialized the external drive and etc.

SO-O-O, W7 was able to easily add an external HDD that W10-1803 could not!
    THIS STORY GETS EVEN BETTER (or worse, actually)!!!

After W7 did the job that W10-1803 failed, I booted into W10 to see if W10 now recognized the external HDD. YEP, W10 File Explorer now shows the external HDD.
    BUT DID THAT RESOLVE THE PROBLEMS? HA, HA, HA!

When I enter the external HDD via W10 File Explorer, I tried to create a 'new folder' via Right-Click Menu - New.
    Ha, ha, W10 File Explorer's Right-Click Menu fails to work while in the External HDD!
    But the right-click menu works just fine in W7's Windows Explorer.

Congratulations, MSFT, W7 is now better than your New & Improved W10-v1803 (and the previous two W10 versions worked great).

So, folks, welcome to the new W10 version of Vista and W8. Does anybody agree?

PS: Yes, I performed all the usual repair tricks, including DISM.exe and sfc /scannow (but not another clean install yet).

PrestonMitchell, Jun 30, 2018
  3. external HDD

Hi,

Usually, this problem occur due to software incompatibility or corrupted USB drivers. For us to better assist you, we would like to clarify the following:

• Have you made any recent changes on your computer prior to the issue?
    • Which driver did you uninstall? Have you reinstall the driver? If yes, how did you reinstall the driver?
    • Have you check if the external HDD is visible in Device Manager?

If the issue still persists after uninstalling some games, we suggest that you run the troubleshooter for hardware and devices. If you're using the latest Windows 10 version, follow these steps on how to run the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter:

• Click the Start button and select the Settings
      icon.
    • Choose Update & Security from the list.
    • Click Troubleshoot in the left pane of the window.
    • Under Find and fix other problems, select Hardware and Devices and click
      Run the troubleshooter.

We're looking forward to your reply.

Gerard Qui, Jun 30, 2018
  4. Ma. Lau Win User

External HDD not readable in W10 Anniversary Update

Hi,

Seeing that the operating system is updated, the issue might be caused by compatibility or outdated driver. We suggest you to check for the latest driver for HDD through Device Manager. Check this
    link for the step by steps instructions
    for updating the driver.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards.

Ma. Lau, Jun 30, 2018
Thema:

1. Trmming an External HDD? Maybe a W10 Pro bug? - Similar Threads - Trmming External HDD

2. Bugged folder on external HDD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bugged folder on external HDD: One of my folders on my external HDD randomly got the 'hidden' property. When I noticed this and tried to change it, I got an error saying the parameter is incorrect. I then cut and paste all my files in the folder into another one. When attempting to delete the old empty...
  3. Bugged folder on external HDD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bugged folder on external HDD: One of my folders on my external HDD randomly got the 'hidden' property. When I noticed this and tried to change it, I got an error saying the parameter is incorrect. I then cut and paste all my files in the folder into another one. When attempting to delete the old empty...
  4. New Update bug maybe

in Windows 10 Gaming
    New Update bug maybe: Hi, I dont know if anyone else has this specific issue but I've been trying to fix it for two to three days now.I have an older hp pavilion 15, Intel corei5 7th gen that I use for projects that involve server communications and stuff, so basically it's a hub that I rely on...
  5. New Update bug maybe

in Windows 10 Customization
    New Update bug maybe: Hi, I dont know if anyone else has this specific issue but I've been trying to fix it for two to three days now.I have an older hp pavilion 15, Intel corei5 7th gen that I use for projects that involve server communications and stuff, so basically it's a hub that I rely on...
  6. [bug] I dunno, maybe?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    [bug] I dunno, maybe?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/HUNmate0704 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/h0c4qx/bug_i_dunno_maybe/
  7. New HDD not show in W10 internally or externally

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    New HDD not show in W10 internally or externally: New 1TB Seagate that I've formatted NTFS and used for a month to test a clone. Three partitions, the middle unused, the last has some BU data. When I go into W10 Disk Management it can recognize the disk but says it's not initialized. Obviously why it won't format it via MBR...
  8. New HDD not show in W10 internally or externally

in Windows 10 Support
    New HDD not show in W10 internally or externally: New 1TB Seagate that I've formatted NTFS and used for a month to test a clone. Three partitions, the middle unused, the last has some BU data. When I go into W10 Disk Management it can recognize the disk but says it's not initialized. Obviously why it won't format it via MBR...
  9. Is this a bug with W10 Pro and pausing updates ?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Is this a bug with W10 Pro and pausing updates ?: I have noticed this behaviour a few times over the last few months... I run my system with updates paused which gives 35 days from the last update check until you either manually do an update check, or W10 does it for you. Fair enough I suppose. What happens though, is that...
  10. Trimming an External HDD? Maybe a W10 Pro bug?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Trimming an External HDD? Maybe a W10 Pro bug?: Hey folks - Think I found something... Look... [img] What's going on here? Windows 10 Pro, Build 1803. *Confused 113183