Windows 10: Trojan Found and Deleted....but it Returns Trojan: HTML/Phish.AB!MSR

Discus and support Trojan Found and Deleted....but it Returns Trojan: HTML/Phish.AB!MSR in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Windows defender periodically finds a Trojan in a .htm file in my Windows Communications appdata area see attachment. You will notice that the file is... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Moirty, Mar 16, 2020.

1. Moirty Win User

Trojan Found and Deleted....but it Returns Trojan: HTML/Phish.AB!MSR

Windows defender periodically finds a Trojan in a .htm file in my Windows Communications appdata area see attachment. You will notice that the file is in the Attachments folder. Windows defender seems to delete this threat but after a few days or a couple weeks, the threat will return in the exact same location.

I have no evidence that the Trojan is actually running on my computer. I believe it is just sitting in the file waiting to be executed. I have not knowingly run this file and am usually careful about phishing attacks.

Only Microsoft Defender will find it. I tried using Malwarebytes, Bitdefender and Microsoft Safety Scanner. None of these even finds it.

MS-Defender says that it is successful at removing it and a scan immediately after the clean will not find the Trojan.

A few troubleshooting actions to date:

• Have removed the threat and immediately opened all known Microsoft communications programs Outlook, Windows Calendar/Mail, Skype, Skype-Biz, Teams. I then reran a scan but did not find the Trojan. Nevertheless, it did return a couple weeks later.
    • I have started my computer in Safe Mode and deleted the entire package folder. After rebooting, the Trojan is no longer found by Defender. However, the folder and its content is eventually recreated along with the Trojan threat.
    • I had a case opened at Microsoft who more-or-less had me repeat everything I had already done. MS ultimately recommended that I rebuild/refresh my entire computer. I am not adverse to doing this but I am worried that since the Trojan appears to be in an attachment within Windows communications, it will simply return. I do not want to waste my time.

I currently run a daily scan of the appdata\package folder so that I can identify when the file returns.

MS-Surface Pro i7/16GB/512GB with all Windows 10 Pro updates completed.

Office 365 environment with most all files stored in OneDrive or SharePoint.

Thank you for any further thoughts on this issue.

-bs

Trojan Found and Deleted....but it Returns Trojan: HTML/Phish.AB!MSR d96afd83-e398-49da-836d-8aa82a4861ec?upload=true.jpg

:)

Moirty, Mar 16, 2020

2. Recurrent trojan, HTML/Phish quarantined by Windows Defender, and don't have active option/button to remove as suggested.

Hi!

Currently have,

edition Windows 10 Pro

version 1803

OS Build 17134.48

Slow ring with active development

For the last several build downloads, Windows Defender has been quarantining a severe trojan, HTML/Phish, providing file details, the suggestion to remove, but no obvious way to do so, like a "remove threat" button.

Two file examples are:

trojan : HTML/Phish

affected items:

file: C:\Users\3orch\AppData\Local\Packages\microsoft.windowscommunicationsapps_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalState\Files\S0\116\GEUSE7738644[1175].html

C:\Users\3orch\AppData\Local\Packages\microsoft.windowscommunicationsapps_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalState\Files\S0\116\GEUSE7738644[1719].html

Now, I will share my lack of expertise by asking why does this trojan keep recurring once quarantined by Windows Defender from build to build?

Is a clean install the only option I have? Kinda' thought that was done with each new build download? Also thought Windows Defender is adaptive/preventive in it's way of staying ahead of threats?

Thank you for any kind instruction and enlightenment.

Kind Regards,

mtnbeebalm, Mar 16, 2020
  3. Bruce Hagen, Mar 16, 2020
  4. MEGGG100 Win User

Trojans

Windows Defender is not getting rid of the Trojans. Does anyone have suggestions?

Thank you

MEGGG100, Mar 16, 2020
Thema:

1. Trojan Found and Deleted....but it Returns Trojan: HTML/Phish.AB!MSR - Similar Threads - Trojan Found Deleted

2. how to remove trojan HTML/Phish!pz

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    how to remove trojan HTML/Phish!pz: How can I remove the Trojan HTML/Phish!pz? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-remove-trojan-htmlphishpz/fce31a02-416e-41fa-aaf5-364b808ad30a
  3. how to remove trojan HTML/Phish!pz

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to remove trojan HTML/Phish!pz: How can I remove the Trojan HTML/Phish!pz? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-remove-trojan-htmlphishpz/fce31a02-416e-41fa-aaf5-364b808ad30a
  4. how to remove trojan HTML/Phish!pz

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Trojan found, file deleted, but still trojan keeps popping up.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Trojan found, file deleted, but still trojan keeps popping up.: My windows defender found a threat trojan:win32/wacatac.h!ml and it was in altruistic folder in program files. I deleted the file from laptop but still every time i scan the laptop each time it shows same threat found and when i click on details, it shows that the trojan has...
  6. Trojan found, file deleted, but still trojan keeps popping up.

Trojan found, file deleted, but still trojan keeps popping up.: My windows defender found a threat trojan:win32/wacatac.h!ml and it was in altruistic folder in program files. I deleted the file from laptop but still every time i scan the laptop each time it shows same threat found and when i click on details, it shows that the trojan has...
  7. why is my computer " found trojan" scanned no malware or trojans found?

why is my computer " found trojan" scanned no malware or trojans found?: why is my computer " found trojan" scanned no malware or trojans found? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/why-is-my-computer-found-trojan-scanned-no-malware/5dac6e9a-b082-4965-a5aa-e6513cb40444
  8. Windows Defender found Trojan

Windows Defender found Trojan: Hello, I am on Windows 11.Windows Defender said that one zipped folder has trojan and, quarantined it.The folder from backup has been scanned with malwarebytes and Windows Malware removal tool MRT. Both did not find any problem.Could this be a false positive by Windows...
  9. Trojan HTML/fakealert.AA

Trojan HTML/fakealert.AA: I have ran a full scan both online and offline and the results are no actions needed but it says allowed threats for this fake alert and then Remidation incomplete. What does this mean?...
  10. Trojan found in OneDrive

Trojan found in OneDrive: It shows the same date, so I'm guessing it is an install tmp file, Malwarebytes and Defender wouldn't let it go...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. trojan html phish msr

2. trojan:html/phish msr chrome 80

3. Trojan:HTML/Phish!MSR

4. html/fakealert.aa