Windows 10: Trouble activating Windows 10 after hardware changes

Discus and support Trouble activating Windows 10 after hardware changes in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I'm having a lot of trouble reactivating my Windows 10 digital (?) license. I originally took the offer for the free upgrade from Windows 8.1 back in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Mark G3, Nov 8, 2018.

1. Mark G3 Win User

Trouble activating Windows 10 after hardware changes

I'm having a lot of trouble reactivating my Windows 10 digital (?) license. I originally took the offer for the free upgrade from Windows 8.1 back in 2016 and had been using my purchased Windows 8 key for Windows 10 activation. However, several months ago a power surge severely damaged my computer. Ultimately I had to replace the PSU, CPU, GPU, and Motherboard, while retaining the same RAM and all four storage drives with Windows 10 still installed on one of them.

I thought that finally buying the last replacement part would be the end of my woes, but now Windows 10 refuses to activate. Automatic activation gives the 0x803F7001 error code. The troubleshooter gives the 0x803F8001 error code. Selecting "I changed hardware on this device recently" leads to "We can’t find any devices linked to your Microsoft account that can be used for reactivating the device you’re using right now." I only have the one Microsoft account so to my understanding my old key should have automatically been tied to this account but the troubleshooter can't seem to find it. As a last resort I tried to dig up my original Windows 8 key, but it was purchased in 2013 and has been lost. I can't very well pull my old key directly from the BIOS of my fried motherboard either.

I've scoured the internet and haven't found anything to help. Everything I've tried has just led me in circles, where the only outcomes are that the troubleshooter magically finds my old key again or I pay money I don't have to buy software I already own. Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated, I'm at the end of my rope with this.

:)

Mark G3, Nov 8, 2018
  2. HAT
    hat Win User

windows activation—hardware changed siginficantly

From time to time on my thoroughbred PC, I get a Windows activation message that says my hardware changed siginificantly and I have to re-activate Windows. My hardware hasn't changed any more than a network card (went from a wireless g card to onboard lan to a wired network card), and the install is legit. Why is it doing this, and how can I stop it?

3. Activation problems after hardware changes and reinstallations.

Hi Meli,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community.

I do appreciate your efforts and time.

Was Windows 10 activated before re-installing it?

Along with the suggestions provided by Greg, you can also refer the steps below.

The only hardware changes that can negatively impact activation status once you upgrade to free version are the changes to the:

• CPU
    • TPM
    • Motherboard replacement
    The following changes are examples of hardware changes that will NOT impact the activation status:

• HDD/SSD
    • Video card
    • Adding extra memory
    If you replace the CPU, TPM, or Motherboard you may have to re-activate but this will not require a purchase of Windows 10.

Why can't I activate Windows 10?:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/why-activate-windows-10

Get help with Windows 10 activation errors:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/activation-errors-windows-10

Can I clean re-install Windows 10 after upgrading?

Can I clean re-install Windows 10 after upgrading?

Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Kalpana Shankarappa, Nov 8, 2018
  4. Trouble activating Windows 10 after hardware changes

Michael Gall, Nov 8, 2018
Thema:

Trouble activating Windows 10 after hardware changes

1. Trouble activating Windows 10 after hardware changes - Similar Threads - Trouble activating hardware

2. Trouble Activating Windows 11, after a hardware change.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Trouble Activating Windows 11, after a hardware change.: after a hardware change, it's been giving me an error message, saying something interrupted our troubleshooting, with error code of 0x80004005, when I try to troubleshoot it, it gives another error message saying the same thing but a different error code, 0x8007000d, I have...
  3. Troubles with Windows Activation after severe hardware changes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Troubles with Windows Activation after severe hardware changes: Hey.I've posted on this community a few weeks ago regarding activation after the hardware change - users here assisted me and helped me get Windows activated by selecting "I recently changed my hardware" option and selecting my old system. After that, I had issue with...
  4. Troubles with Windows Activation after severe hardware changes

Troubles with Windows Activation after severe hardware changes: Hey.I've posted on this community a few weeks ago regarding activation after the hardware change - users here assisted me and helped me get Windows activated by selecting "I recently changed my hardware" option and selecting my old system. After that, I had issue with...
  5. Trouble Activating Windows After Hardware Change

Trouble Activating Windows After Hardware Change: Hey all, recently changed my motherboard out and was hoping to activate windows using my Microsoft account. Seems I have some sort of account issue, which may or may not be related to the work account I also have on the computer. When I go to Settings -> Activation ->...
  6. Trouble Activating Windows After Hardware Change

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Trouble Activating Windows After Hardware Change: Hey all, recently changed my motherboard out and was hoping to activate windows using my Microsoft account. Seems I have some sort of account issue, which may or may not be related to the work account I also have on the computer. When I go to Settings -> Activation ->...
  7. Trouble Activating Windows After Hardware Change

in Windows 10 Gaming
  8. Trouble with Windows 10 Activation after Hardware Changes

Trouble with Windows 10 Activation after Hardware Changes: I have recently installed a new motherboard and processor and was previously using the free upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10. After installing the new parts and getting Windows 10 all setup, I can't activate windows 10 with my product key not the windows 7 one, but a...
  9. Trouble activating windows after changing hardware.

Trouble activating windows after changing hardware.: Hello, I just recently changed the motherboard and CPU in my computer. I had a retail windows 10 disc and product key that I used to activate windows on my SSD a year or two ago before this upgrade, and promptly linked it to my MS account. I can't seem to get the windows...
  10. Troubling activating Windows 10 after a hardware change.

Troubling activating Windows 10 after a hardware change.: Hi all, So I've had this machine a while. It had Vista preinstalled. Few years later I Installed a copy of Win 7. Years after that I upgraded to Win 10. About a year ago, I changed my motherboard and was unable to activate Win 10 (expected). I finally got around to a new...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. trouble with activating your Windows 8 after changing the motherboard

2. windows 10 activation error 0x803fa067 hardware changes