Windows 10: Trouble activating windows after changing hardware.

Discus and support Trouble activating windows after changing hardware. in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hello, I just recently changed the motherboard and CPU in my computer. I had a retail windows 10 disc and product key that I used to activate windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by flamingdonut141, Jan 6, 2020.

1. Trouble activating windows after changing hardware.

Hello, I just recently changed the motherboard and CPU in my computer. I had a retail windows 10 disc and product key that I used to activate windows on my SSD a year or two ago before this upgrade, and promptly linked it to my MS account. I can't seem to get the windows troubleshooter to work reactivating using my Microsoft account. It just says "unable to activate windows at this time". I have my product key with me, but using "change product key" doesn't work either. Any advice for what I can do? I tried calling in to support but it didn't really help, but I feel like that's about all I can try at this point.

:)

flamingdonut141, Jan 6, 2020
  2. HAT
    hat Win User

windows activation—hardware changed siginficantly

From time to time on my thoroughbred PC, I get a Windows activation message that says my hardware changed siginificantly and I have to re-activate Windows. My hardware hasn't changed any more than a network card (went from a wireless g card to onboard lan to a wired network card), and the install is legit. Why is it doing this, and how can I stop it?

3. Activation troubles after hardware chnage

Here's what happened:

• Linked my Windows 10 Pro Licence to my Microsoft account.
    • Switched out to a new motherboard, new install linked to my Microsoft account.
    • Activation has failed, (Error Code: 0xC004C003) when I try to troubleshoot:
    • Have been trying for 3 days now - still not activated.
    Anyone got any ideas or suggestions on what I can do?

Thanks

TobiasPreston, Jan 6, 2020
  4. Nikhar_K Win User

Trouble activating windows after changing hardware.

Unable to activate Windows after hardware change

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Usually the error code 0xC004F213 comes when there is a hardware change done on the computer (like Motherboard or Hard drive). The Windows license is associated with the device hardware. If there is any significant hardware changes, such as replacing
    motherboard or hard drive, Windows won’t be able to recognize the license.

I suggest you to try the troubleshooting steps from the article
    Reactivating Windows 10 after a hardware change
    and see if Windows gets activated.

If you are using an OEM computer that came with Windows 7, and the motherboard has not been changed, then you can follow the steps to retrieve the product key that came with your OEM computer. To retrieve the product key follow the steps mentioned
    below:

1. Type Command prompt in the search bar, that is on the taskbar.
    2. Right click on Command prompt icon and select Run as administrator.
    3. Type the command and press on Enter: wmic path SoftwareLicensingService get OA3xOriginalProductKey
    4. You will find the product key.

Hope it helps.

Please reply with the status of the issue, we will be glad to help you further.

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Jan 6, 2020
Thema:

Trouble activating windows after changing hardware.

1. Trouble activating windows after changing hardware. - Similar Threads - Trouble activating changing

2. Trouble Activating Windows 11, after a hardware change.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Trouble Activating Windows 11, after a hardware change.: after a hardware change, it's been giving me an error message, saying something interrupted our troubleshooting, with error code of 0x80004005, when I try to troubleshoot it, it gives another error message saying the same thing but a different error code, 0x8007000d, I have...
  3. Troubles with Windows Activation after severe hardware changes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Troubles with Windows Activation after severe hardware changes: Hey.I've posted on this community a few weeks ago regarding activation after the hardware change - users here assisted me and helped me get Windows activated by selecting "I recently changed my hardware" option and selecting my old system. After that, I had issue with...
  4. Troubles with Windows Activation after severe hardware changes

Troubles with Windows Activation after severe hardware changes: Hey.I've posted on this community a few weeks ago regarding activation after the hardware change - users here assisted me and helped me get Windows activated by selecting "I recently changed my hardware" option and selecting my old system. After that, I had issue with...
  5. Trouble Activating Windows After Hardware Change

Trouble Activating Windows After Hardware Change: Hey all, recently changed my motherboard out and was hoping to activate windows using my Microsoft account. Seems I have some sort of account issue, which may or may not be related to the work account I also have on the computer. When I go to Settings -> Activation ->...
  6. Trouble Activating Windows After Hardware Change

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Trouble Activating Windows After Hardware Change: Hey all, recently changed my motherboard out and was hoping to activate windows using my Microsoft account. Seems I have some sort of account issue, which may or may not be related to the work account I also have on the computer. When I go to Settings -> Activation ->...
  7. Trouble Activating Windows After Hardware Change

in Windows 10 Gaming
  8. Trouble with Windows 10 Activation after Hardware Changes

Trouble with Windows 10 Activation after Hardware Changes: I have recently installed a new motherboard and processor and was previously using the free upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10. After installing the new parts and getting Windows 10 all setup, I can't activate windows 10 with my product key not the windows 7 one, but a...
  9. Troubling activating Windows 10 after a hardware change.

Troubling activating Windows 10 after a hardware change.: Hi all, So I've had this machine a while. It had Vista preinstalled. Few years later I Installed a copy of Win 7. Years after that I upgraded to Win 10. About a year ago, I changed my motherboard and was unable to activate Win 10 (expected). I finally got around to a new...
  10. Trouble activating Windows 10 after hardware changes

Trouble activating Windows 10 after hardware changes: I'm having a lot of trouble reactivating my Windows 10 digital (?) license. I originally took the offer for the free upgrade from Windows 8.1 back in 2016 and had been using my purchased Windows 8 key for Windows 10 activation. However, several months ago a power surge...