Windows 10: Trouble Activating Windows After New Hard Drive Installation

Discus and support Trouble Activating Windows After New Hard Drive Installation in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I recently installed a new Hard Drive in my Dell Latitude E6540. After Installing Windows I was prompted to activate, and went through the process of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by DominicTripodi, Jan 3, 2021.

1. Trouble Activating Windows After New Hard Drive Installation

I recently installed a new Hard Drive in my Dell Latitude E6540. After Installing Windows I was prompted to activate, and went through the process of running troubleshoot, and 'I changed hardware on this device recently.'

The device options do not include the device I'm trying to activate, listed in my account as "DESKTOP-8TUM5P"

Trouble Activating Windows After New Hard Drive Installation e86b16c9-21d5-4afb-b171-f7a5f2a03d16?upload=true.png

Trouble Activating Windows After New Hard Drive Installation 7d9d5829-9236-41bc-aff6-3841f36cda7d?upload=true.png

The version of windows installed on my device is Windows 10 Home, and I think the old hard-drive was running Windows 10 Pro, or Enterprise.

I tried inputting my Activation Key to upgrade to Windows Pro in the Microsoft Store, which seemed to start working and then stopped and removed the option in the activation screen.

Trouble Activating Windows After New Hard Drive Installation f8b01e2f-dc33-44c8-828e-9288980076f8?upload=true.png

When I attempt to manually input the Activation Key I get error 0x800f0805

Trouble Activating Windows After New Hard Drive Installation fb559aa8-f023-4f38-88b8-e65b8e83a1c8?upload=true.png

When I use the "Get Help" app **from any of my devices it gives most of this advice, which doesn't work, and then tries to contact a person, and displays an error screen

Trouble Activating Windows After New Hard Drive Installation 1a2b200f-8b63-4a17-bbd6-92648a4cff3f?upload=true.png

When I call Support, it tells me that the "Get Help" app is the only way to contact support and to go there.

The device was activated and working fine until the new Hard Drive was installed.

I'm wondering if there is another way to contact support, or if someone could help me to activate windows on my device.

:)

DominicTripodi, Jan 3, 2021
  2. little cat, Jan 3, 2021
  3. Install Windows 10 on new hard drive.

Hi Arzlo,

Thank you for being a part of Windows 10.

I appreciate you for providing details about the issue and we are happy to help you.

Please be informed that you cannot install the activated Windows 10 on to the new hard disk.

If you are replacing the hard disk then you may get Windows 10 activation errors.

If you are purchasing a new hard disk then, you may have to install genuine Windows 7 (SP1)/8.1 to upgrade to Windows 10 to get Windows 10 activated.

I suggest you to run check disk on the hard drive to see if there are any corruptions.

Follow the below steps:

• Windows key + X, click Command Prompt (Admin).
    • Command Prompt, type the following command, and then press
      ENTER
      :
    chkdsk /f

Disclaimer: While performing check disk on the hard drive, if any bad sectors are found then check disk will try to repair that sector. Any data available on a bad sector might be lost.

Once Check Disk completes, boot the computer and then check.

Reference: Refer to the following Microsoft article on Windows 10 Q&A.

Upgrade to Windows 10: FAQ

Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows. We are glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Harshavardhan Rathod, Jan 3, 2021
  4. Trouble Activating Windows After New Hard Drive Installation

windows xp installation and dual core am

could someone please list the steps they follow to install windows with a dual core processor and windows xp service pack to. I'm reletively new to amd dual core and i feel i'm missing a step. All help will be appreciated. thanx

exodusprime1337, Jan 3, 2021
Thema:

Trouble Activating Windows After New Hard Drive Installation

1. Trouble Activating Windows After New Hard Drive Installation - Similar Threads - Trouble Activating Hard

2. Activating of windows after moving to a new hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Activating of windows after moving to a new hard drive: Cheers everyone,I recently had a bit of trouble with the reliability of my hard drive, so I decided to buy a new SSD and move al my system there.After research on the internet, I found, that a "recovery device" should be able to transfer my windows from one drive to the next....
  3. Activating of windows after moving to a new hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Activating of windows after moving to a new hard drive: Cheers everyone,I recently had a bit of trouble with the reliability of my hard drive, so I decided to buy a new SSD and move al my system there.After research on the internet, I found, that a "recovery device" should be able to transfer my windows from one drive to the next....
  4. Activating of windows after moving to a new hard drive

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
  5. Trouble with the slow installation of Windows and the hard drive?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Trouble with the slow installation of Windows and the hard drive?: I installed Windows after a sudden glitch in Windows, but I found the installation of Windows took a long time, about two hours? Why?I checked the hard disk from the pad and the disk is fine, and I erased all the data from the disk, and yet there is a severe slowdown in...
  6. Trouble with the slow installation of Windows and the hard drive?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Trouble with the slow installation of Windows and the hard drive?: I installed Windows after a sudden glitch in Windows, but I found the installation of Windows took a long time, about two hours? Why?I checked the hard disk from the pad and the disk is fine, and I erased all the data from the disk, and yet there is a severe slowdown in...
  7. Can't activate windows 10 after new hard drive install.

Can't activate windows 10 after new hard drive install.: Please assist. Per Microsoft guidance deleted old "computer" from MS account and then installed windows 10 on new HD - now can't activate through MS acct sign in. Says the key is invalid...can't find...Big Red Ltrs! Also tried using my old Win7 Key - nope. I have been a...
  8. Trouble Adding New Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Trouble Adding New Hard Drive: I'm trying to add a new hard drive and am having problems. I can see the drive in Device Manager, but it is not showing up in Disk Management. Also, when I go to DiskPart > List Disk it isn't showing. I've tried updating the driver in Device Manager and I've also...
  9. New hard drive and Windows 10 trouble install

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    New hard drive and Windows 10 trouble install: My 3 year old HP laptop hard drive failed. Bought a new SSD and installed. Created a Windows 10 usb boot instal flash drive. Laptop booted to flash drive and appears to install Windows 10. Laptop reboots after install and i get Cortana asking me my Region and keyboard...
  10. trouble activating windows after installing new motherboard

trouble activating windows after installing new motherboard: i upgraded my motherboard and processor and windows asked to be activated, so i tried and i selected that i changed hardware, after that windows said that it was having trouble activating. i tried it a few more times and failed. i tried it a day later and still nothing. can't...