Windows 10: Trouble Booting from USB in Windows 10

Discus and support Trouble Booting from USB in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I am trying to format an old pc and install Ubuntu on it. I followed the regular instructions here to create a bootable USB... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by MarceloJardimSena, Apr 3, 2020.

1. Trouble Booting from USB in Windows 10

I am trying to format an old pc and install Ubuntu on it. I followed the regular instructions here to create a bootable USB https://ubuntu.com/tutorials/tutorial-create-a-usb-stick-on-windows#1-overview. Then, when entering the BIOS mode, at first I could not find the USB drivers, but they showed up once I enabled Legacy option below.

Trouble Booting from USB in Windows 10 8dc26b31-1e87-4a72-a667-4854d7611032?upload=true.jpg

Now, I have two possible options to boot I believe: either the Kingston or UEFI Kingston below.

Trouble Booting from USB in Windows 10 11bb5f51-2efc-4d5f-9143-1b78cbfe16c9?upload=true.jpg One of them only opens up a command prompt on my screen the Kingston as shown below and does no proceed to any installation.

Trouble Booting from USB in Windows 10 82c4e9ea-cb83-40b9-88e8-d768a74c929a?upload=true.jpg

The other does not seem to boot. If I click on it simply in BIOS mode the screen just blinks but returns to where I was it seems it tries to boot but is not able to? and if I place it in first priority, turn off and on the computer it just boots to normal windows which I believe is so because it is placed in 2nd in the list of boot.

I configured my USB exactly as in the tutorial I mentioned above, so I am having trouble finding where the problem might be. Hopefully somebody can shed some light here. I have two USB ports which are bad and there is only one left, but it is working.

Many thanks.

:)

MarceloJardimSena, Apr 3, 2020

2. Windows 10 USB boot

Hi there, am not a windows 10 expert. I have a pc in the bedroom on windows 10, I messed up the bootloader trying to fix the xp on that system.

System wont boot, trying to repair via win 10 usb installer.

Downloaded the media creation tool to install windows 10 installer on usb stick. Not compatible with a host of usb sticks I have. Tried the usb sticks that others use, but I think they use rufus; as the media creation tool by win 10 does not detect the usb stick.

So quick question, the win10 machine i am trying to repair the bootloader is a win7 upgraded to win10.
    If i were to use the usb win10 installer to "repair installation" does the version of the iso downloaded via the media creation tool matter?

There is three options:
    Windows 10
    Windows 10 Home
    Windows 10 N

Also is there a step by step instead of using rufus as I want to try an alternative method of creating a usb win 10 installer. Preferably with more compatibility.

System is a asus sabertooth 990 (r2?) with AMD phenom X 6.

Also is there any other software I can load onto the usb that can repair the bootloader easily?
    That would be the ideal alternative. Thanks

TRUELOVE95, Apr 3, 2020
  3. Agility Win User
    Multi-bootable USB

Hey guys from TPU, couldn't find any specific thread pertaining to the question asked on title. As mentioned, I'm trying to create a bootable USB, but with many specifics boots available.

I've been trying to create one with multiple boot device including one that enables me to run Windows 10 directly on the USB Thumb Drive but to no avail.

The list of bootable images i'm trying to create are

1. Windows 10 (A full OS running from thumb drive)
    2. Windows 10 ISO (Bootable disk image for fresh install)
    3. MemTest86+

Have tried YUMI or UUI from the website USB PenDrive Linux but as this is my first time, i don't know how am i screwing up or am doing it right.. Anyone got a rough idea on a step by step guide? Thanks!

Agility, Apr 3, 2020
  4. thraxed Win User

Trouble Booting from USB in Windows 10

Installing windows off of a USB stick

Step By Step from vista:
    From admin cmd prompt

1. diskpart
    1a. list disk
    2. select disk 1 (replace 1 with your usb drive)
    3. clean
    4. create partition primary
    5. select partition 1 (replace 1 with your usb drive)
    6. active
    7. format fs=fat32
    8. assign
    9. exit

Copy Windows Vista's DVD ROM content to the Flash Drive

xcopy d:\*.* /s/e/f e:\ (d being your vista cd and e being your usb stick)

And that's it, boot off your usb disk

thraxed, Apr 3, 2020
Thema:

Trouble Booting from USB in Windows 10

1. Trouble Booting from USB in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Trouble Booting USB

2. Trouble with USB windows 10 install for dual boot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Trouble with USB windows 10 install for dual boot: I followed these instructions https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-dual-boot-windows-10-on-a-windows-11/0752ea25-4ba3-43af-b75b-2b297c3cd10fAnd Booted from USB In setup on select driver to install, my partition isn't there. No drives show up. Please...
  3. Trouble with USB windows 10 install for dual boot

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Trouble with USB windows 10 install for dual boot: I followed these instructions https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-dual-boot-windows-10-on-a-windows-11/0752ea25-4ba3-43af-b75b-2b297c3cd10fAnd Booted from USB In setup on select driver to install, my partition isn't there. No drives show up. Please...
  4. Trouble with USB windows 10 install for dual boot

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Booting Windows 10 from usb

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Booting Windows 10 from usb: I created a bootable USB drive using Microsoft Media Creation Tool. When I am installing it won't allow me to choose the USB drive. Error saying: "No signed device drivers were found. Make sure that the installation media contains the correct drivers". I searched on the...
  6. Booting Windows 10 from usb

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Booting Windows 10 from usb: I created a bootable USB drive using Microsoft Media Creation Tool. When I am installing it won't allow me to choose the USB drive. Error saying: "No signed device drivers were found. Make sure that the installation media contains the correct drivers". I searched on the...
  7. Booting Windows 10 from usb

8. Trouble booting Windows 10 system from USB installation disc

Trouble booting Windows 10 system from USB installation disc: I got stuck at PC manufacturers logo while booting from USB disc.I wanted to use a Windows 10 installation disc to repair my system since it got stuck at Preparing for "Automatic repair" and a blank screen after that.I created an installation disc and verified it by booting...
  9. Booting Windows 10 from usb

Booting Windows 10 from usb: Have just built a gaming pc for my son. Can get the motherboard BIOS and am trying to install Windows 10. Have dowloaded on to usb. I can enter "flash mode" and the usb loads up but does not automatically run instead I get the attached screen. What am I doing wrong?[IMG]...
  10. Booting Windows 10 From USB

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Booting Windows 10 From USB: I currently am using Linux Ubuntu and want to install windows. I have a bootable usb but I can’t figure out how to actually get it to boot. I go in to BIOS and set the flash drive to the first position but it just boots into Ubuntu anyways. The drive does not show up on the...