Windows 10: trouble connecting desktop & laptop

Discus and support trouble connecting desktop & laptop in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello, I work as a caregiver, and am trying to get my client's laptop to talk to the desktop. I guess Windows 10 no longer has a homegroup, although... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by 3point1, Sep 20, 2020.

1. 3point1 Win User

trouble connecting desktop & laptop

Hello,

I work as a caregiver, and am trying to get my client's laptop to talk to the desktop. I guess Windows 10 no longer has a homegroup, although it does come up in the WinExp sharing menu for sharing, for some reason. Anyway, I've got it to where the laptop & the desktop are each showing me that the other computer is on the network, but neither one can see anything on the other computer. I've gone to MS's sharing help page, but there's no answer for me there. Can anyone help me get these two computers to share their documents with each other?

:)

3point1, Sep 20, 2020
  2. karyeowl Win User

Laptops cannot access desktops via WIFI

I have 3 desktops (all on Windows 10 1803) connected on my LAN. After following this forum for some times and did all the steps as suggested by forum member, access denied, all my desktops are able to view and access one another. I have a printer connected to PC1, and managed to connect all the other 2 PCs to have the shared printer.

I also have 2 more laptops (both Asus with the same Windows 10 1803) connected via WIFI. Performed all the same steps as per the desktops, but I was not able to access PC1. I was able to view all the 3 desktops from the file explorer, but I just can't access all the desktops. However, I was able to access the Asus laptops from desktop PC1.

Anyone able to assist on this matter? Any assistance is highly appreciated.

karyeowl, Sep 20, 2020
  3. Kari Win User
    Remote Desktop Connection problems

Have you tried Remote Desktop Connection, to connect from your Windows 10 laptop to your Windows 7 desktop? Try it first, post back and tell how it went.

Some additional help because you mentioned you are a remote newbie *Wink. The windows 7 related tutorials from our sister site the Seven Forums:

1. On Windows 7 desktop, set network location to either Home or Work (I recommend Work):
    2. On Windows 7 desktop, allow incoming remote connections:
    3. On Windows 7 desktop, find out its IP address:
    4. On Windows 10 laptop, start the Remote Desktop application and connect to the Windows 7 desktop using the IP address from step 3 above (see Part Three in the tutorial):
    Try the above, post back how it went.

4. Pinchy Win User

share internet connection in pc desktop &laptop

Operating systems on each computer?

If the desktop has two ethernet connections, you can set it up so that one has the modem (internet) and the other is connected to the laptop (cable from desktop to laptop).

If you want wireless, you will need a router unless you have a wireless connection and ethernet connection on the desktop, in which case you can do the same above, only instead of cable from pc to laptop, its wireless connection from pc to laptop.

Pinchy, Sep 20, 2020
Thema:

1. trouble connecting desktop & laptop - Similar Threads - trouble connecting desktop

2. Remote Desktop Troubles

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Remote Desktop Troubles: When I work from home I tend to turn on my work laptop then connect to it from my home PC using remote desktop. I had this working well on my PC but I've just built a new PC. I would always log in on my laptop first, then when I connected from my PC it would already be logged...
  3. Remote Desktop Troubles

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Remote Desktop Troubles: When I work from home I tend to turn on my work laptop then connect to it from my home PC using remote desktop. I had this working well on my PC but I've just built a new PC. I would always log in on my laptop first, then when I connected from my PC it would already be logged...
  4. Remote Desktop Troubles

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Trouble connecting projector to laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Trouble connecting projector to laptop: I am running Windows 11 on a Dell XPS 15 9500. I have been unable to get the projectors at church to connect via a HDMI cable to my laptop. I connect my laptop to my TV wirelessly with a wireless HDMI device plugged into the TV. I've tried Windows Key + P and Windows Key + K...
  6. Trouble connecting projector to laptop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Trouble connecting projector to laptop: I am running Windows 11 on a Dell XPS 15 9500. I have been unable to get the projectors at church to connect via a HDMI cable to my laptop. I connect my laptop to my TV wirelessly with a wireless HDMI device plugged into the TV. I've tried Windows Key + P and Windows Key + K...
  7. Desktop and laptop have trouble sleeping

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Desktop and laptop have trouble sleeping: I have a custom-built desktop PC that runs Windows 10 and it won't go to sleep consistently. Namely, when I click Sleep from the start menu, it'll go to sleep, then wake up 5 seconds later. Sending it to sleep the second time keeps it asleep. What's frustrating is, it'll...
  8. Trouble connecting a monitor to my laptop

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Trouble connecting a monitor to my laptop: Hello everyone, I recently bought a monitor to be able to increase my productivity while programming on my laptop. As soon as I set it up and connected it to the laptop it went into "Power Saving Mode". I read on some sites that this is because my laptop is not sending...
  9. At Home connection of a LapTop and a Desktop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    At Home connection of a LapTop and a Desktop: I have a Desktop PC and a laptop .... I wish to make all files on each unit accessible by each other ... how can I do this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/at-home-connection-of-a-laptop-and-a-desktop/eeff796e-5b40-4988-b2b9-c7b2f1c13ab5
  10. Trouble with laptop

in Windows 10 Customization
    Trouble with laptop: Hi! I am having some problems with my HP 15 Notebook. My first problem is; randomly, a lag will come when I am listening to music or watching a video along with a robotic sound that doesn't match the audio I am listening to. My attempt to fix that that was a Hardware...