Windows 10: Trouble Connecting External Hard Drive

Discus and support Trouble Connecting External Hard Drive in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi there. I'm trying to connect a Seagate External Hard Drive to my PC but am having some issues. Hard Drive:... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by brednard, Apr 13, 2020.

1. brednard Win User

Trouble Connecting External Hard Drive

Hi there.

I'm trying to connect a Seagate External Hard Drive to my PC but am having some issues. Hard Drive:

https://amazon.com/gp/product/B07CQJBSQL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The Drive seems to start up when I plug in the USB cable but I can't see it in File Explorer. I am able to see it usually in the Device Manager under Disk Drives, but the corresponding device in USB Controllers sections says "Unknown USB Device Set Address Failed"

In Disk Management, it does not appear unless I perform a rescan, at which time it appears briefly and then disappears. This also has the effect of removing the device from device manager.

You can see this happen in the linked video skip to 1:04:

https://loom.com/share/34f4b8d0f8f54f4da3ef663d8e7671f6

It also seems that the PC will not boot all the way if the Drive is already connected when I push the power button, but I already made sure that the boot priority does not start with USB in the BIOS.

I have tried disabling fast start up, reinstalling the USB driver with the warning, updating Windows, updating BIOS, disabling Legacy USB Support

CPU - AMD Ryzen 2700

Mobo - MSI X470 Gaming Plus
    SSD - ADATA XPG SX6000 512 GB
    RAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4
    Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

:)

brednard, Apr 13, 2020
  2. Remon Ont Win User

External Hard Drive

Hi John,

We suggest that you try the troubleshooting steps below:

• Open your External Hard Drive file in File Explorer.
    • Type the name of the file you want to search on the search box and click Enter.
    The file will show up in Search Results and you will be able to move it to the correct folder.

Let us know if you need further help.

Remon Ont, Apr 13, 2020
  3. Trouble Accessing External Hard drive

I just got an external hard drive for my computer from a friend and I am trying to format the drive to clear the previous data. The drive will not show in file explorer but when I go to devices in settings it shows that it is connected. I cannot even access
    any data that is on the drive at all. Does anyone have a fix or suggestions?

The External Hard drive is Western Digital.

AlexYates1, Apr 13, 2020
  4. Trouble Connecting External Hard Drive

Trouble with Toshiba external hard drive and Windows 10

Hi Osman,

Welcome to Microsoft Community.

I appreciate your interest in windows 10 and also for trying the troubleshooting steps to fix the issue. I understand the inconvenience you faced. I will help you with this.

I need more information about this issue so that I can assist you better.

1. Have you tried to connect external hard drive with different USB port?

2. Have you checked other USB devices are detecting or not in your computer?

3. Have you tried to connect hard drive in different computer?

I would suggest you to try to connect external hard drive with different USB port and check.

If it doesn't work then I would suggest you to try to run hard ware and device troubleshooter and check.

Follow the steps.

1. Go to the Control Panel.

2. Try to search "Troubleshooting".

3. Select the Hardware and Sound, under Hardware and Sound, click on
    Configure a device.

4. Follow the on screen instructions.

I hope this helps.

Let us know the status of the issue so that we can assist you better.

Thanks.

Preeti Patel, Apr 13, 2020
Thema:

Trouble Connecting External Hard Drive

1. Trouble Connecting External Hard Drive - Similar Threads - Trouble Connecting External

2. Can't Connect External Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't Connect External Hard Drive: Hello.I am struggling to access a WD My Passport and I suspect something is wrong with my Windows fundamentally, and I wish to reset Windows, however I would like to backup my files to an external hard drive, but have so far been unsuccessful in doing so.When I plug in the My...
  3. Connecting External Hard Drive to Network

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Connecting External Hard Drive to Network: I would like to have an external hard drivecontinuously connected to my home network. My router does not have a USB port and I do not have any PC that is connected 100% of the time to the home network. my PCs are running Win 11 Home editionIs there a hardware device I should...
  4. Connecting External Hard Drive to Network

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Connecting External Hard Drive to Network: I would like to have an external hard drivecontinuously connected to my home network. My router does not have a USB port and I do not have any PC that is connected 100% of the time to the home network. my PCs are running Win 11 Home editionIs there a hardware device I should...
  5. Trouble accessing files on external hard drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Trouble accessing files on external hard drive: I am am having trouble accessing files from an external hard drive. Getting 0x80004005 error message and other errors "can not access files". I have shared and given permissions for all the files but still no luck The external hard drive was one of a shared network of...
  6. external hard drive is connecting and the disconnecting.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    external hard drive is connecting and the disconnecting.: I have a Seagate 5 TB external hard drive. I've had it for years. We have had it hooked up to our xbox. Today we turned on the xbox and it wasn't registering that the external hard drive was connected. So I hooked the external hard drive up to my Alienware laptop. It does not...
  7. Connecting External hard drive

Connecting External hard drive: How do I connect an external hard drive, with data files https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/connecting-external-hard-drive/b1670bab-3009-4da3-b712-006026fefcfe
  8. Trouble Accessing External Hard drive

Trouble Accessing External Hard drive: I just got an external hard drive for my computer from a friend and I am trying to format the drive to clear the previous data. The drive will not show in file explorer but when I go to devices in settings it shows that it is connected. I cannot even access any data that is...
  9. connecting up to an external hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    connecting up to an external hard drive: I have an Acer Aspire and I want to connect up to an external hard drive but this computer dose not recognize the usb plug in. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/connecting-up-to-an-external-hard-drive/0d249a3d-70be-45d8-beb3-354c0b1a564c
  10. connecting external hard drives to laptop

connecting external hard drives to laptop: is it possible to connect three external hard drives thru one usb socket and if it is, what connector do I need 50269