Windows 10: Trouble creating a desktop shortcut

Discus and support Trouble creating a desktop shortcut in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; The program WinsSCP comes with 2 executables: WinSCP.exe and WinSCP.com. I am trying to create desktop shortcuts for each. I had no trouble creating... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by pokeefe0001, Sep 3, 2016.

1. Trouble creating a desktop shortcut

The program WinsSCP comes with 2 executables: WinSCP.exe and WinSCP.com. I am trying to create desktop shortcuts for each. I had no trouble creating one for the .exe file but Windows won't create for the .com file.

If I go to its folder, click and drag it to the desktop, and select "Create shortcuts here", nothing happens.

If I go to its folder, right click on the .com file, and select "Create shortcut" it gives me the expected popup "Windows can't create a shortcut here. Do you want the shortcut to be placed on the desktop instead?". I click "Yes" and get another popup saying "Windows could not create the shortcut. Check to see if the disk is full". I have 149GB free so (unless that's an awfully big shortcut) space is not the problem.

Does Windows not allow shortcuts for .com files? I've search but have seen nothing indicating that.

:)

pokeefe0001, Sep 3, 2016
  2. 'Mike P Win User

create shortcut on desktop

It's on my win10.

Are you logged on in the guest account maybe ?

Trouble creating a desktop shortcut [​IMG]

'Mike P, Sep 3, 2016
  3. Create shortcut to desktop

It depends on the version of Windows 10. In older versions, you could easily send to desktop, but they have changed it in the latest release. For classic desktop apps, you can go to C:\Program Files and send a desktop shortcut from there.

Andre Da Costa, Sep 3, 2016
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Trouble creating a desktop shortcut

Hello pokeefe0001, *Smile

See if you may be able to create a shortcut of the WinSCP.com file by creating a new shortcut using the target location below. Substitute full path with the actual full path of the file's location.

explorer "full path\WinSCP.com"

Brink, Sep 3, 2016
  5. If I put that command in a .bat file. I was then able to build a shortcut to the .bat file and it worked. Any idea why I couldn't build a shortcut to the .com file?

pokeefe0001, Sep 3, 2016
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Great news.

I'm not sure why, but it's been that way for a while in previous Windows as well to not be able to easily create a shortcut of a .com file.

Brink, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Trouble creating a desktop shortcut

1. Trouble creating a desktop shortcut - Similar Threads - Trouble creating desktop

2. Having trouble in creating shortcuts

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Having trouble in creating shortcuts: I think most people are having the same issue like me. I was about to create a shortcut but it says the following error message: -I mean it's not an error, but it's just that I don't understand. I don't know whether I did it correct or not. But I have done it correct, I swear...
  3. Having trouble in creating shortcuts

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Having trouble in creating shortcuts: I think most people are having the same issue like me. I was about to create a shortcut but it says the following error message: -I mean it's not an error, but it's just that I don't understand. I don't know whether I did it correct or not. But I have done it correct, I swear...
  4. Having trouble in creating shortcuts

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Is there a shortcut to create desktop shortcuts ?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is there a shortcut to create desktop shortcuts ?: I'm working on a software to help blind people use computers, and I'm searching for a way for them to create desktop icons/shortcut to Web sites. Is there a way to do this only using the keyboard ? I tried using the Shift + F10, but this doesn't work if an icon is selected,...
  6. Send to - Desktop (create shortcut)

in Windows 10 Customization
    Send to - Desktop (create shortcut): Basically, i want to remove "send to" from the right click menu and in it's place, just have "Desktop (create shortcut)". So, you right click an icon and can immediately make the shortcut to the desktop without sliding the menu out. i never use any of the other shortcuts and...
  7. create a desktop shortcut for a printer

in Windows 10 Customization
    create a desktop shortcut for a printer: How do I create a desktop shortcut in Windows 10 for a printer https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/create-a-desktop-shortcut-for-a-printer/86732439-44f4-4406-a7c0-de42c5e8a5e4
  8. Trouble creating a website shortcut on the desktop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Trouble creating a website shortcut on the desktop: Windows 10. Chrome browser. Can't seem to add website shortcut to the desktop. Search said to left click the icon to the left of the website address & pull it to the desktop, but left-clicking doesn't "grab" the icon....
  9. Creating a desktop shortcut

in Browsers and Email
    Creating a desktop shortcut: All I want to do is create a Desktop shortcut & icon for Microsoft Edge. Simple I thought, but I cannot do it. If I move an icon in the source folder, either an exe or lnk, to the Desktop it does not launch when clicked, or when I click open or run as Admin. Sometimes I cant...
  10. Create Desktop Shortcut

in Browsers and Email
    Create Desktop Shortcut: O.k. I give up...can someone tell me how to create a desktop shortcut ? using Edge browser....also how do you move something from the favourites bar to the desktop?......it must be possible surely ?........Del. 73345