Windows 10: Trouble creating a RAID 1 Array

Discus and support Trouble creating a RAID 1 Array in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Originally, I wanted to create a RAID 1 Array using USB Drives lying around and test it out and see how well RAID 1 works. A message popped up when I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Ethan Z., Nov 16, 2018.

1. Ethan Z. Win User

Trouble creating a RAID 1 Array

Originally, I wanted to create a RAID 1 Array using USB Drives lying around and test it out and see how well RAID 1 works. A message popped up when I clicked on the partition I wanted to mirror and said the operation failed because the Disk Management Console is not up to date. It suggested I refresh it, relaunch it, or even restart my computer. I tried all three things, and it still wouldn't let me mirror the partition. Then I realized that maybe Windows won't let me create a RAID 1 Array on USB Drives, so I went to the original plan I was going to do and grabbed my 500GB External HDD and my 120GB External SSD (they are both USB 3.0 connected enclosures) and when I tried to mirror a partition on my 500GB HDD using my SSD, it wouldn't let me use the SSD to mirror it. So then I tried using my internal windows 10 SSD to mirror my HDD. But, I needed to shrink my main partition on my internal SSD and it wouldn't let me shrink it saying there was a certain amount I could shrink it to, but I could only shrink 135MB at max and I have 89.4GB free on that partition. Any suggestions and help would be appreciated (and by the way, if you're wondering why I'm trying to run RAID 1 on an external HDD/SSD is just for testing and more file redundancy and performance).

:)

Ethan Z., Nov 16, 2018
  2. smig Win User

creating RAID-1 array

the importent issue for me now is HOW do I create the RAID-1 array.
    I have the SATA/RAID drivers already installed (This is must for the machine to boot from SATA HD).
    Question now is how make the RAID array to work from the bios.
    the question if to go to RAID-1 or not is over *Wink Trouble creating a RAID 1 Array ;)

3. smig Win User
    creating RAID-1 array

I have a great success *Rockout :rockout:
    I write this post now while the array is created.

thanks to LairdDrambeg - read it here - http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=52856

the trick is to create a single HD striping (RAID-0) array and to migrate it to double HD mirror (RAID-1) array.

here are the steps one by one:
    1. back up your valuable data *Wink Trouble creating a RAID 1 Array ;)
    2. connect your new HD to the system.
    3. Enable RAID in your BIOS, and add RAID support for the new HD only. reboot.
    4. you'll be prompted to go into the RAID setup (F-10) - do it, and add the new blank HD into a new RAID-0 array (Striping). when asked to clear the disk hit N, though the disk is new and empty.
    leave your old HD (the one with the data on it) out of any array
    this is importent to load the RAID drivers into windows.
    if you simply try to install the RAID drivers and the NVIDIA MediaShield they won't be installed since there is no RAID hardware.
    Save and exit.
    5. when Windows reload it will find the new hardware (your new RAID array). this is the time to reinstall the nVidia chipset drivers and MediaShield.
    6. after all driver installed you'll ask to reboot. do it and make sure the system is loading correctly. Look in the device manager for the nVidia nForce RAID controler and nVidia nForce serial ATA control, under the SCSI and RAID controlers.
    7. Restart your system, go back into the BIOS and enable RAID for the old drive too. Save and reboot.
    8. Go into the RAID setup (F-10), remove the new HD from the RAID array and leave it unessigned.
    create a new RAID-0 (striping) array, this time with the old HD. When asked to clear the disk hit N doh' *Stick Out Tongue Trouble creating a RAID 1 Array :p. Save and reboot.
    9. When Windows load you'll see the media shield Wizard saying you have an unessigned HD. Close the wizard and open the media shield (nVidia control panel - Storage).
    10. select the Migrate ption, and migrate the existing RAID-0 into RAID-1, adding the new unessigned HD.

Good luck *Toast :toast:

4. t_ski Win User

creating RAID-1 array

WinXP does support raid. Most of the time you are talking about hardware, but WinXP can create a software mirror as well. If you are doing this in a controller setup for the motherboard (as opposed to the Disk Management console in XP), you are talking about hardware raid.

Read up on your manual about setting up a raid-1 array and if you can do it with a drive that already contains data. TBH, I have only created raid 0 and 5 arrays from drives that had no data on them. I'm thinking there may be a way to set up the raid 1 array and have it create the mirror disk, but I can't speak from experience.

And yes, you should have another identical drive. It is possible to do it with different drives, but performance and reliability can be affected.

t_ski, Nov 16, 2018
Thema:

1. Trouble creating a RAID 1 Array - Similar Threads - Trouble creating RAID

2. Windows 11 won't recognize RAID 0 array created with Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 won't recognize RAID 0 array created with Windows 10: I created a RAID 0 array on my machine and used it as my boot disk for Windows 10. When I went to Windows 11 I wanted a larger boot drive so I upgraded to a GEN 4, 4TB NVME SSD and used that.When I enable RAID in my bios it recognizes the old array and contains the correct...
  3. Windows 11 won't recognize RAID 0 array created with Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 won't recognize RAID 0 array created with Windows 10: I created a RAID 0 array on my machine and used it as my boot disk for Windows 10. When I went to Windows 11 I wanted a larger boot drive so I upgraded to a GEN 4, 4TB NVME SSD and used that.When I enable RAID in my bios it recognizes the old array and contains the correct...
  4. I have a RAID Array on Win 10Pro. I want to remove the Raid Array. Need a link to a proper...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I have a RAID Array on Win 10Pro. I want to remove the Raid Array. Need a link to a proper...: I have a 2 drive RAID Array on Win 10Pro. I want to remove the Raid Array. Need a link to a proper resource to do so. Any help appreciated, this thing is taking forever to load. Thanks in Advance....
  5. Raid 1 Array not accessible after re-installing windows on different disk.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Raid 1 Array not accessible after re-installing windows on different disk.: Hello,I have 3 disks in total, 2 x 2 TB which were built into a Raid 1 Array and 1 NVME disk which used to hold my previous installation of windows 11. Today, I decided to reinstall windows 11 on the NVME disk and ever since the raid array doesn't show up anymore. The disks...
  6. Raid 1 Array not accessible after re-installing windows on different disk.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Raid 1 Array not accessible after re-installing windows on different disk.: Hello,I have 3 disks in total, 2 x 2 TB which were built into a Raid 1 Array and 1 NVME disk which used to hold my previous installation of windows 11. Today, I decided to reinstall windows 11 on the NVME disk and ever since the raid array doesn't show up anymore. The disks...
  7. Windows update just broke my RAID 1 array

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows update just broke my RAID 1 array: The volume was mostly backed up. My video shoot this weekend 6 hours work I cannot reshoot was not backed up yet, so I desperately need to repair the array somehow. The device is a Lacie 2TB Bolt 3 Thunderbolt. It is a pair of SSDs packaged in one unit. It was configured...
  8. How to delete RAID 0 array

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to delete RAID 0 array: Hi, I want to delete RAID 0 I made with Storage Spaces. I'ts 4 HDDs and one is having problems. It still works, but I have problem deleting or moving some files. Tried eliminating the HDD from the array, but it won´t let me (stuck at 0,04% use for months) Tried from the...
  9. RAID 1 array created through Windows Storage Spaces had a drive fail. Do I just replace the...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    RAID 1 array created through Windows Storage Spaces had a drive fail. Do I just replace the...: So I created a RAID 1 array using Windows Storage Spaces with two of my 2 TB WD HDDs. One of them has failed, now the other doesn't show up in Windows' drive listing under My Computer (as expected). Two questions I have: 1) Do I just plug a new, identical drive in? And...
  10. Recreating RAID 5 Array AMD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Recreating RAID 5 Array AMD: I updated to Windows 10 Pro with a clean install and had issues with my RAID array showing up as raw format. I was able to take a backup of it from my W7 drive then rebooted into W10 deleted the array in Disk Management, deleted the array in the controller BIOS and then...