Windows 10: Trouble Granting User File Access in Windows Based Intranet

Discus and support Trouble Granting User File Access in Windows Based Intranet in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Stuck on developing a local intranet for a client's small business enterprise network. OS: Windows 2019 Database Server Active Directory: Accessed... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by SethBennett, Aug 4, 2020.

1. Trouble Granting User File Access in Windows Based Intranet

Stuck on developing a local intranet for a client's small business enterprise network.

Active Directory: Accessed through LDAPS

Web Server: XAMPP v3.2.4

Web Server Language: PHP

Hosting Machine: HOST virtual server

Goals:

1 Provide an "Employee Center" where all the employee and company data can be found in a single place. Apache and MySQL are working to maintain company data provided by employees and admins. Users can access these features from their local machines, when they click the hyperlink and log into the intranet.

2 Provide access to their company's shared drives, through the intranet. PHP accomplishes this by running the file access command through the command line. This is where we are getting STUCK. When the user uses the intranet to select a file from a shared drive, and open it, the file is opening in the HOST machine, where the Apache server is running, and not the user's local machine!

Let me tell you, it was weird watching random files open up while I was working on the HOST. I thought we'd been hacked! Then a co-worker called, wanting to know why their desired files weren't showing up when they tried to access them on the intranet, from their local machine.

Since the virtual HOST server is where the Apache web server is running the show, I assume that Apache is reflexively opening the desired file from a shared drive on it's own server. The hyper link we are using is connecting the user to the intranet, but the web server is opening files on the HOST, rather than sending the "open file" commands back to the user's local machine.

My question is, is there a way to qualify the Command Line request so that the desired file is opened on a specific machine or better yet for a specific user? I have access to the active directory to identify a current user and their current machine, for example.

I'm currently accessing shared network files by creating, running and closing a scheduled task. This is the code PHP is currently running through the command line. It works on the HOST machine, but continues to fire on the HOST machine, even if the user is logged in from their local machine.

Note: "$escapedLogPath" is the path to the user's desired file.

Create the task:

- SCHTASKS /F /Create /TN MyTasks\_notepad /TR "\\'.$escapedLogPath.'\\" /SC DAILY /RU INTERACTIVE

Run the task:

- SCHTASKS /RUN /TN "MyTasks\_notepad"

Delete the task:

- SCHTASKS /DELETE /TN "MyTasks\_notepad" /F

This code works if launched while logged into the HOST, opening the file right on the HOST, but when the user logs in from their local machine, the desired file path is still activated on Apache's HOST machine. It's not opening on the user's local machine.

Can this be accomplished by modifying the above commands?

If PHP is not an option, could this accomplished in a batch file? With arguments fed to it by PHP calling up the command line?

Another option could be that the client handles most of their business on their local IIS server. I could probably migrate the intranet from Apache to IIS, but I haven't worked with IIS much and want to know for sure that IIS can meet our intranet goals, before configuring IIS for PHP and migrating the entire intranet over.

Any advice, links to tutorials or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

I've build online websites before, but inter-connecting shared drives over a local intranet is way more complicated than that!

:)

SethBennett, Aug 4, 2020
  2. Renata N' Win User

WP8 can't access intranet websites

Hello Markythemark82,

Thank you for posting on forum.

I guess we can conclude that intranet web pages in most of the cases cannot be accessed through Windows phone.

If you would like it to be possible please post a suggestion or vote for it at Windows phone Suggestion box forum:

http://windowsphone.uservoice.com/forums/101801-feature-suggestions

Another way to solve the issue would be contacting intranet administrator and ask about requirements and settings that are needed to connect to particular intranet pages.

Let us know if you have any questions.

Kind regards,

Renata

Renata N', Aug 4, 2020
  3. ALRinNPT Win User
    Trouble granting file and program access and permissions in Windows 10

Two similar issues.

1) We recently bought a new PC. I set up myself as administrator, and set up local user accounts for my family and me. As administrator, I transferred our picture files from the old computer (using an external hard drive). I've followed instructions to
    grant access (and share) to these picture files, but none of the users can see them in their pictures file.

2) Also as administrator, I downloaded iTunes onto our new computer and transferred our music library. As administrator, I've granted access (and share) to iTunes and the music files, but none of the users can see iTunes or the music files.

I appreciate any help.

Thanks.

ALRinNPT, Aug 4, 2020
  4. Trouble Granting User File Access in Windows Based Intranet

WP8 can't access intranet websites

Hey Renata,

The problem isn't with accessing the internet, it's with accessing the internal websites on the intranet.
    There are no blocks on any websites, so it's nothing to do with restrictions on the network.

It is something to do with not being able to resolve the DNS for the local network, but I'm not sure if that's an issue with Windows phone 8, or because the network has a funky setup. (I had a similar problem on my old Android phone, I had to root it and
    edit the host file to access the sites in the end, this is not an issue with iPhones, they seem to be able to access the intranet sites ok).

Not sure if that clarifies anything?

Thanks for the suggestions.

Mark

Markythemark82, Aug 4, 2020
Thema:

Trouble Granting User File Access in Windows Based Intranet

1. Trouble Granting User File Access in Windows Based Intranet - Similar Threads - Trouble Granting User

2. how to grant appropriate permissions to access file?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to grant appropriate permissions to access file?: how to grant appropriate permissions to access file? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-grant-appropriate-permissions-to-access/32fb43b9-6461-4f90-a77c-adae23dfb1db
  3. grant users device manager access

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    grant users device manager access: have few users who require access device manager to make chnages, these are basic domain users and we dont want to give or add them to local admin or doamin admin modes....
  4. grant users device manager access

in Windows 10 Gaming
    grant users device manager access: have few users who require access device manager to make chnages, these are basic domain users and we dont want to give or add them to local admin or doamin admin modes....
  5. grant users device manager access

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. how to grant access to different users for different subfolders?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    how to grant access to different users for different subfolders?: Hi everyone,Is there a way to give access to multiple users to different subfolders all at once? or automatically?Here's the situation I'm facing: I have 500 users and 500 subfolders for them in our drive, and I need to give each one of them access to their folder only to...
  7. GRANT ACCESS

in Windows 10 Customization
    GRANT ACCESS: Aditional permissions are required to access the following files... MS Word needs access to the file named.. Sečect the mite to grant access. Word cannot open the document : user does not have access privileges...
  8. Trouble Opening Shared Files Over Local Intranet

Trouble Opening Shared Files Over Local Intranet: Stuck on developing a local intranet for a client's small business enterprise network. OS: Windows 2019 Database Server Active Directory: Accessed through LDAPS Web Server: XAMPP v3.2.4 Web Server Language: PHP Hosting Machine: HOST virtual server Goals: 1 Provide an...
  9. Granting user permission on files and folders

Granting user permission on files and folders: My brother was recently playing with the settings and ended up denying all kind of permission read, write, modify etc to my photograph folder. I had a tough time trying to fix it because i couldn't open it, nor copy it, even it's security tab was not readable. After enough...
  10. Trouble granting file and program access and permissions in Windows 10

Trouble granting file and program access and permissions in Windows 10: Two similar issues. 1) We recently bought a new PC. I set up myself as administrator, and set up local user accounts for my family and me. As administrator, I transferred our picture files from the old computer (using an external hard drive). I've followed instructions...