Windows 10: Trouble installing old game to new PC

Discus and support Trouble installing old game to new PC in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I know it can be tricky to install a very old game to a new PC, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't, but I'm hoping to install a game that I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by BJC1992, Aug 11, 2019.

1. BJC1992 Win User

Trouble installing old game to new PC

I know it can be tricky to install a very old game to a new PC, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't, but I'm hoping to install a game that I used to play when I was young and I know my niece will enjoy playing it too, its a game called Hidden Pictures Workshop, I think it was released around 1995 as the system requirements don't even mention Windows 98, so you can imagine that it doesn't require any effort to run on a modern PC.
    When I try to install it I get this message:
    THE PROGRAM OR FEATURE "\??\H:\SETUP.EXE" CANNOT START OR RUN DUE TO INCOMPATIBILITY WITH 64-BIT VERSIONS OF WINDOWS. PLEASE CONTACT THE SOFTWARE VENDOR TO ASK IF A 64-BIT WINDOWS COMPATIBLE VERSION IS AVAILABLE.
    I have had it running before on Windows 7, but when I tried it yesterday on a Windows 7 laptop I got the same message. Is there any way I can get it to install and run on Windows 10?

:)

BJC1992, Aug 11, 2019
  2. Kamil2EE Win User

Playing old pc games on new laptop(windows 10)

Can't play an old pc game on my new laptop. Tried clicking on properties but next step was click on compatability tab and this tab was not there??? Tried another way to run a test program for compatibility but it didnt run. Triedin MS-DOS mode didnt
    work. And tried running DOS BOX installing, it installed but didnt open to see if coukd find game and play. ???

Kamil2EE, Aug 11, 2019
  3. Wanting to run old games

Hi Jameson,

Welcome to Microsoft Community. Your interest in Windows 10 is much appreciated.

I would suggest you to refer the below link and check the compatibility of the game with Windows 10.

Explore Windows 10 OS, Computers, Apps, & More | Microsoft

You may also try installing the game in compatibility mode.
    Follow these steps to install the game software in compatibility mode and check if that helps.

• Right-click on the game setup file and click on
            ‘properties’.

• Click on the ‘compatibility’ tab and check the box
            ‘Run this program in compatibility mode for’ and select Windows 8 operating system from the drop down menu and proceed with the installation. Once this is done, restart the computer and check if the issue persists.
    If the issue still persists, I would suggest you to get in touch with the game manufacturer if it’s specific to that particular game.

Keep us posted if you face any issues on windows in future. We will be glad to help you.

Annu Singh, Aug 11, 2019
  4. Arrakis9 Win User

trouble installing vista 64

Well, just got my new motharboad (P5Q-e) everything works perfect thank god! only im having issues installing vista on it.

it recognizes both of my hard drives and they were working perfectly fine before i installed my new mobo but now whenim trying to install vista it gets to the "select drive to install on" screen and none of my hard drives are listed.

they show up in the bios just fine and i've tried using other sata ports as well and all with the same result.

The drives were set to be a RAID 0 array on my old mobo could this be the issue?
    any thoughts or suggestions would be much appriciated

Arrakis9, Aug 11, 2019
Thema:

1. Trouble installing old game to new PC - Similar Threads - Trouble installing old

2. new Pc very slow in old game

in Windows 10 Gaming
    new Pc very slow in old game: Im playing a game from 2006 which uses directx9 and I recently bought a new pc. My fps are between 25-45 in this game and in other high end games I easly reach 144. How can I fix this?...
  3. new Pc very slow in old game

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    new Pc very slow in old game: Im playing a game from 2006 which uses directx9 and I recently bought a new pc. My fps are between 25-45 in this game and in other high end games I easly reach 144. How can I fix this?...
  4. Troubles installing game

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Troubles installing game: I decided to pick up Halo Wars 2 Complete Edition for PC, and upon trying to download, it gets stuck at 2%, no matter what I do. I've tried resetting Xbox and Microsoft Store apps, as well as gaming services. Not sure if it's worth mentioning, but Gaming Services is no longer...
  5. Troubles installing game

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Troubles installing game: I decided to pick up Halo Wars 2 Complete Edition for PC, and upon trying to download, it gets stuck at 2%, no matter what I do. I've tried resetting Xbox and Microsoft Store apps, as well as gaming services. Not sure if it's worth mentioning, but Gaming Services is no longer...
  6. Troubles installing game

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
  7. Troubling Installing Windows on New PC

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Troubling Installing Windows on New PC: I built my own PC yesterday and I have had trouble installing Windows 10 on it. I tried downloading the install tool to a USB flash drive, setting the PC to boot from the flash drive, and restarting the PC. After I do that, the screen just says: "reboot and select proper boot...
  8. Install old PC games

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Install old PC games: Hi there, I just wanna to install old PC games on Win10 OS. But CD plater does not run, setting was display CD icon and drivers were going well. CD player light on and run but no signal few seconds turn off and eject. Start doesn't work, setup too. I tried on property and...
  9. Trouble installing old game to new PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Trouble installing old game to new PC: I know it can be tricky to install a very old game to a new PC, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't, but I'm hoping to install a game that I used to play when I was young and I know my niece will enjoy playing it too, its a game called Hidden Pictures Workshop, I...
  10. the trouble with new installs

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    the trouble with new installs: the trouble with new installs when you have several computers: I just got an ssd and decided it was time to upgrade an old computer TOSHIBA Satellite C855 2.40 gigahertz Intel Core i3-2370M 8 gig memory JUHOR Z500 120GB [Hard drive] (120.03 GB) to change boot order hold...