Windows 10: Trouble installing Win 10 64 bit, MBR/BIOS. Partition needs to be GRT

Discus and support Trouble installing Win 10 64 bit, MBR/BIOS. Partition needs to be GRT in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; The problem I'm having is that I receive the error message: Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk is not of the GPT partition... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by rogertsch, Jun 13, 2020.

1. rogertsch Win User

Trouble installing Win 10 64 bit, MBR/BIOS. Partition needs to be GRT

The problem I'm having is that I receive the error message: Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk is not of the GPT partition style, when trying to install Windows 10 64 bit onto the current Windows 10 32 bit system.

The current state of the drive I want to install to is...

DISKPART> detail disk

Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB
    Disk ID: A956F8A1
    Type : SATA
    Path : 2
    Target : 0
    LUN ID : 0
    Location Path : PCIROOT(0)#PCI(1F02)#ATA(C02T00L00)
    Current Read-only State : No
    Read-only : No
    Boot Disk : Yes
    Pagefile Disk : Yes
    Hibernation File Disk : No
    Crashdump Disk : Yes
    Clustered Disk : No

Volume ### Ltr Label Fs Type Size Status Info
    ---------- --- ----------- ----- ---------- ------- --------- --------
    Volume 2 C Samsung SSD NTFS Partition 796 GB Healthy System

My System Info.
    OS NameMicrosoft Windows 10 Enterprise
    Version10.0.18363 Build 18363
    Other OS Description Not Available
    OS ManufacturerMicrosoft Corporation
    System NameROGERPC-V6QO2A4
    System ManufacturerSystem manufacturer
    System ModelSystem Product Name
    System TypeX86-based PC
    System SKUSKU
    ProcessorIntel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 3401 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
    BIOS Version/DateAmerican Megatrends Inc. 4102, 9/9/2013
    SMBIOS Version2.6
    Embedded Controller Version255.255
    BIOS ModeLegacy
    BaseBoard ManufacturerASUSTeK Computer INC.
    BaseBoard ProductP8Z68-V LE
    BaseBoard VersionRev X.0x
    Platform RoleDesktop
    Secure Boot StateUnsupported
    PCR7 ConfigurationBinding Not Possible
    Windows DirectoryC:\Windows
    System DirectoryC:\Windows\system32
    Boot Device\Device\HarddiskVolume4
    LocaleUnited States
    Hardware Abstraction LayerVersion = "10.0.18362.752"
    User NameROGERPC-V6QO2A4\roger
    Time ZoneMountain Daylight Time
    Installed Physical Memory (RAM)6.00 GB
    Total Physical Memory3.48 GB
    Available Physical Memory433 MB
    Total Virtual Memory7.73 GB
    Available Virtual Memory2.49 GB
    Page File Space4.25 GB
    Page FileC:\pagefile.sys
    Kernel DMA ProtectionOff
    Virtualization-based securityNot enabled
    Device Encryption SupportReasons for failed automatic device encryption: TPM is not usable, PCR7 binding is not supported, Hardware Security Test Interface failed and device is not Modern Standby, Un-allowed DMA capable bus/device(s) detected, TPM is not usable
    Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode ExtensionsYes
    Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation ExtensionsYes
    Hyper-V - Virtualization Enabled in FirmwareNo
    Hyper-V - Data Execution ProtectionYes

:)

rogertsch, Jun 13, 2020
  2. j99m99 Win User

Windows 7 Pro 64-bit installation fails

Yes, I formatted the drive and deleted the partition.
    I formatted it and created the partition using the Win 7 Pro 64-bit installation disk.
    I even tried, just for the heck of it, formatting the drive and the partition using the WinXP Pro 32-bit installation disk that I have. I got the same results.

This makes me ask though...Are there any tools available to format the disk, create partitions, MBR's... specifically for Win 7 64-bit??? Or am not on the right track here? I'm not sure that it's an MBR issue because twice during installation I see the 'starting windows' (with logo) screen... unless the MBR gets messed up after I see that.

j99m99, Jun 13, 2020
  3. RoMer-GR Win User
    switch from 32 bit to 64 bit Win 10 - installation media not found

Dear all,

before upgrading to win 10 i renewed the Hardware (AMD A8-7600, 8GB Ram, OCZ ARC 100 250 GB SSD) and installed the existing (e. g. purchased) Win 7 32 bit OEM OS, which was activated sucessfully on the new hardware.

The Upgrade to Win 10 32 bit worked sucessfully, activation and Windows account was successful.

I then tried to switch to 64 bit Win 10, according to the detailed article "How to Switch...." by Ande da Costa.

I created an iso DVD with Win 10 64 bit on another pc (64 bit win 7), as well a stick with rufus (FAT 32, EFI, GPT)

When I start the fresh installation of Win 10 64 bit, the System cant be installed because the SSD is MBR and asks for GPT.

I changed from MBR to GPT using diskpart, after that new partitions are created, but Installation does not proceed, because the installation files cannot be found, not from the stick and also not from DVD.

In ASUS UEFI Bios I changed from "Other OS" to Windows UEFI mode.

who is so kind to provide some hint?

RoMer-GR, Jun 13, 2020
  4. Trouble installing Win 10 64 bit, MBR/BIOS. Partition needs to be GRT

can't install win 10 on both gpt and mbr partition

I have a hp laptop which came preinstalled with windows 8.1

so yesterday I was trying to install windows 10 pro 64 bit but an error occurred which said that windows can't be installed on gpt partition style.

therefore using AOMEI partition assistant I converted gpt to mbr partition style.

then again I tried to install windows 10 but this time it shows an error that windows can't be installed on mbr partition style with motherboard supporting EFI or UEFI. It can only be installed on gpt style.

so again I converted mbr to gpt partition and tried to install windows but still it showed the former error.

so now I ask that what should I do to install windows 10 ???

nilakshsing, Jun 13, 2020
Thema:

Trouble installing Win 10 64 bit, MBR/BIOS. Partition needs to be GRT

1. Trouble installing Win 10 64 bit, MBR/BIOS. Partition needs to be GRT - Similar Threads - Trouble installing bit

2. Upgrading win 10 Home 64 bits to Win 10 64 bits Pro

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Upgrading win 10 Home 64 bits to Win 10 64 bits Pro: I have a laptop with win10 Home 64 bits installed on it. I need t upgrade it to Win 10 Pro 64 bits. I have a digital Licence on my PC Pro 64 bits. I have already tried to upgrade my laptop with clean install but Microsoft does not give me any choice except buying the...
  3. Win 10 32-bit to 64-bit

Win 10 32-bit to 64-bit: Hello, I recently upgraded my old Dell Optiplex 390 pc I had laying around. I started with updating to Windows 10 then added some more RAM to the system. Unfortunately i'm running on the 32 bit OS and it cannot use the extra 5 RAM i added to it and its currently being used as...
  4. Trouble installing Win 10 64 bit, MBR/BIOS. Partition needs to be GRT

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Trouble installing Win 10 64 bit, MBR/BIOS. Partition needs to be GRT: The problem I'm having is that I receive the error message: Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk is not of the GPT partition style, when trying to install Windows 10 64 bit onto the current Windows 10 32 bit system. The current state of the drive I...
  5. Install win 10/32 bit on 64 bit cpu !

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Install win 10/32 bit on 64 bit cpu !: I have a Dell optiplex 3070 . I have something to do with os 32 bit .Installation runs fine but when It starts , I cant go on so that PC reported that “ no boot device found” . I tried to switch to legacy and uefi to boot but It also still fail ! Do u guys have something to...
  6. Win 10 64-bit to 32-bit

Win 10 64-bit to 32-bit: I have Win 10 64-bit but some older programs won't work on it. The maker of the programs have abandoned them so I can't go back for updated versions. I've tried the compatibility mode, etc. I'm thinking I might solve the problem by installing the Win 10 32-bit version. I...
  7. win 10 64 bit

in Windows 10 Customization
    win 10 64 bit: Hello, I have win 10 64 bit, is there a way i can run a game that is 32 bit? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/win-10-64-bit/df9c9918-85fb-40e3-924b-7feeaf5c44a9
  8. Win 10 single installer for 32 and 64 bit

Win 10 single installer for 32 and 64 bit: Media Creation Tool 1803-Downloaded single ISO 32 and 64 bit . Now what options to choose in Rufus for creating bootable usb which could give option to install 32 or 64 bit. 117267
  9. win 10 64 bit

win 10 64 bit: I bought a disc win 10 0em from newegg. ok here,s the question if I get a new motherboard I will be able to activate like win 7 right? clean install from dvd it has a license on the package. 40253
  10. Win 10 32 bit to Win 10 64 bit

Win 10 32 bit to Win 10 64 bit: I am wanting to upgrade my wife's comp from win 10 32 bit to win 10 64 bit, her win 10 is activated. I've downloaded the Win 10 64 bit ISO to my machine (Win 10 64 bit). Do I just burn the ISO to DVD and then boot my wife's machine with that or do I mount it on my machine...