Windows 10: Trouble resetting Windows 10 PC - 'insert your windows installation or recovery media'

Discus and support Trouble resetting Windows 10 PC - 'insert your windows installation or recovery media' in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi, I'm having trouble resetting my computer need to reset as selling it. I'm getting the error: 'insert your windows installation or recovery media'... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by MareikeWehner, Mar 9, 2021.

1. Trouble resetting Windows 10 PC - 'insert your windows installation or recovery media'

Hi,

I'm having trouble resetting my computer need to reset as selling it. I'm getting the error: 'insert your windows installation or recovery media'

So far I have:

- created a recovery medium on my external hard drive but Windows won't recognise it.

- tried the reagentc /enable in Command: It won't enable it reagentc /info still shows 'disabled'

- run sfc/scannow with the following result:

C:\Windows\system32>sfc/scannow

Beginning system scan. This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
    Verification 100% complete.

Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them.
    For online repairs, details are included in the CBS log file located at
    windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For offline
    repairs, details are included in the log file provided by the /OFFLOGFILE flag.

C:\Windows\system32>

- run DISM with the following result:

C:\Windows\system32>DISM /online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool

Version: 10.0.18362.1

Image Version: 10.0.18362.418

[==========================100.0%==========================] The component store is repairable.

The operation completed successfully.

C:\Windows\system32>DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool

Version: 10.0.18362.1

Image Version: 10.0.18362.418

[==========================100.0%==========================]

I'm now out of ideas. Any advice please?

:)

MareikeWehner, Mar 9, 2021
  2. CK011885 Win User

Installing Windows 10 on New PC?

I'm going to be building a new PC on Christmas and want to install Windows 10 on it. I have Windows 10 on my current PC, which I installed upgrading from 8.1 with the files on a USB. How do I go about installing a clean copy of Windows 10 on this new PC? I think I recall something about installing it once makes Microsoft recognize your hardware, but since this will be a PC I'm not sure what steps I need to take. Do I need to go 8.1 -> 10 or is there a method of going directly to 10?

CK011885, Mar 9, 2021
  3. r.h.p Win User
    Installing Windows 10 on New PC?

What's your intended PC specs ??

r.h.p, Mar 9, 2021
  4. Trouble resetting Windows 10 PC - 'insert your windows installation or recovery media'

Resetting from Windows 10 to Windows 8.1/Windows 8 stuck at "Insert your Windows installation or recovery media to continue"

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

As per the description I understand that you are trying to perform reset of Windows 10 to previous operating system as your device is affected with viruses and stuck with error: insert your Windows installation or recovery media to continue, we will help
    you with this issue.

Do let us know the following to assist you better with this issue:

• Have you tried any troubleshooting steps to resolve the issue with virus affected on your computer?
    • How exactly are you trying to perform reset on Windows 10?
    • Have you inserted the recovery image of the previous operating system while performing reset?

As a workaround, I suggest you to refer to the below Microsoft article about how to reset your computer and check if it helps.

Recovery options in Windows 10

There are options in Windows 10 to perform Reset on your computer without losing the data as mentioned under the section
    Reset your PC.

Note: I would like to inform that using recovery drive will remove your personal files, apps and drivers you installed, and changes you made to settings.

You can deploy scan for viruses using Windows Defender and check if it helps.

Protect your PC

Hope it helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of this issue and required information, we will be happy to help you.

Deepika Gowda, Mar 9, 2021
Thema:

Trouble resetting Windows 10 PC - 'insert your windows installation or recovery media'

1. Trouble resetting Windows 10 PC - 'insert your windows installation or recovery media' - Similar Threads - Trouble resetting 'insert

2. How to reset pc without the installation or recovery media?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to reset pc without the installation or recovery media?: I already went to the settings and the blue screen and there was no option to reset. I was able to do it before I believe on the windows 10 but im on 11 now....
  3. How to reset pc without the installation or recovery media?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to reset pc without the installation or recovery media?: I already went to the settings and the blue screen and there was no option to reset. I was able to do it before I believe on the windows 10 but im on 11 now....
  4. Windows 10 install error after PC reset procedure. No recovery media

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 install error after PC reset procedure. No recovery media: I have windows 10 based Dell all in one. I was having issues with my wifi and trouble shooter did not help, so decided on doing network reset which caused the system to go into a loop with following messages“Preparing Automatic repair. Diagnosing your PC. Your PC did not...
  5. Windows 10 install error after PC reset procedure. No recovery media

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 install error after PC reset procedure. No recovery media: I have windows 10 based Dell all in one. I was having issues with my wifi and trouble shooter did not help, so decided on doing network reset which caused the system to go into a loop with following messages“Preparing Automatic repair. Diagnosing your PC. Your PC did not...
  6. Windows 10 install error after PC reset procedure. No recovery media

7. Having difficulties resetting my Pc. Getting 'insert your windows installation or recovery...

Having difficulties resetting my Pc. Getting 'insert your windows installation or recovery...: A friend of mine gave me his computer but asked me to wipe it clean... When I try to reset the pc it says 'insert your windows installation or recovery media'' I don't know what that means and how to do that. Please can you help?...
  8. Having difficulties resetting my Pc. Getting 'insert your windows installation or recovery...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Having difficulties resetting my Pc. Getting 'insert your windows installation or recovery...: A friend of mine gave me his computer but asked me to wipe it clean... When I try to reset the pc it says 'insert your windows installation or recovery media'' I don't know what that means and how to do that. Please can you help?...
  9. Having difficulties resetting my Pc. Getting 'insert your windows installation or recovery...

10. "There was a problem in resetting your PC" - Windows Recovery

"There was a problem in resetting your PC" - Windows Recovery: I want to reset my computer but there is a message saying "Required file are not trusted. The files certificate may have expired or the files might be modified by others." How can I fix it? Device: Dell Inspiron 15 3567 Windows 10 Version 2004 OS Build 20161.1000 [IMG]...