Windows 10: Trouble running programs from search, possibly related to permissions/taking ownership

Discus and support Trouble running programs from search, possibly related to permissions/taking ownership in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Recently, I upgraded my computer motherboard and all, reactivated Windows on my old hard drive, then put in a new SSD and installed Windows fresh on... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Its Chocolate, Dec 29, 2019.

1. Trouble running programs from search, possibly related to permissions/taking ownership

Recently, I upgraded my computer motherboard and all, reactivated Windows on my old hard drive, then put in a new SSD and installed Windows fresh on that. When I tried to transfer my files over from my old hard drive, I found that the my user directory Users/Owner/ didn't give me permission to view any of the files. So I looked up a fix that involved changing the owner of all the files to "Everyone." That seemed to work but I decided to go back to booting and using my hard drive instead because of the hassle.

Now, I can't run any executables or shortcuts to executables in my user folder from the search. For example, if I have a file on my Desktop called putty.exe, and try to open it by typing it into search and clicking it, nothing happens.

Before click: Trouble running programs from search, possibly related to permissions/taking ownership 8fdc4b96-bc02-473a-aa96-11c8b667735f?upload=true.png

After click: Trouble running programs from search, possibly related to permissions/taking ownership 5436fe37-9b32-42e0-b21d-4862ee8a852f?upload=true.png
    This is the same whether I click it, hit enter, or click on "Open" to the side. However, if I run it as an administrator, either by selecting that from the context menu or clicking it on the side, it works normally.

This is also the case for shortcuts on my desktop, even if they're shortcuts to something outside of my user folder. For example, a shortcut on my desktop to the Steam.exe file in my program files has the same problem.

I've also tested this with executables in my Documents and Downloads folders with the same result. Interestingly, this also occurs for files in Windows folder and subfolders even though I don't remember changing any of the permissions for that folder for example, trying to run write.exe from search.

A probably related issue, is that now when I try to open disk management "Create and format hard disk partitions" in the search I get this error message
    Trouble running programs from search, possibly related to permissions/taking ownership 42f40f60-f60a-4815-916b-6c787d4f8a94?upload=true.png

mmc.exe is of course in System32, and I can't run it from search but can run the file by going to System32 manually and opening it.

:)

Its Chocolate, Dec 29, 2019

2. file permissions/ownership troubles

There is a program named "take ownership" just google it. You'll just have to choose your entire drive, click on take ownership and you re done!

assaulter_99, Dec 29, 2019
  3. xBruce88x Win User
    file permissions/ownership troubles

a while back my main user account got corrupted somehow and the only way to get to my files was to take ownership of them in my other admin account. but now i'm stuck with having to retake ownership of these files every time i try to access it from another computer or user account, which makes sharing multimedia to my xbox 360 impossible. is there a way to just remove all of these permission settings back to normal? its REALLY getting frustrating with the access denied crap, its even interfering with some .msi install files. *Mad Trouble running programs from search, possibly related to permissions/taking ownership :mad:*Cry :cry:

this also puts my new computer build on hold since i need to transfer the files but i'm stuck with the ownership crap

edit: btw its on windows xp pro sp3

xBruce88x, Dec 29, 2019
  4. Trouble running programs from search, possibly related to permissions/taking ownership

How to "take ownership"?

I’ve found a small solution to hide the smiley icon. It doesn’t disable the button, it only renders the icon invisible.
    This is what I did:

• Navigate to C:\Windows\System32 and find ieframe.dll
    • Take ownership and give administrators full control
    • ...snip...
    • Save the file and copy it back to C:\Windows\System32

So, the question is how to take "control" - I seem to still be getting permission denied errors when copying the file back to c:\Windows\System32?

Okay so it seems that after taking ownership and giving adminstrators control, I got further - I had to also explicitly set the file permission. It did let me copy my modified .dll over the ieframe.dll, but now IE does not start up! Luckily I am running this in a VM so can revert to an earlier snapshot, but there does seem to be some fundamental step that I am missing!

GerhardusVanG, Dec 29, 2019
Thema:

Trouble running programs from search, possibly related to permissions/taking ownership

1. Trouble running programs from search, possibly related to permissions/taking ownership - Similar Threads - Trouble running programs

2. "Take ownership" vs "Run as Admin"

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    "Take ownership" vs "Run as Admin": Hi I'm working with a windows 10 system, but recently I found right clicking some of my files does not have "Run as Admin" option, instead it says "take ownership" I wonder what's wrong with this...
  3. "Take ownership" vs "Run as Admin"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "Take ownership" vs "Run as Admin": Hi I'm working with a windows 10 system, but recently I found right clicking some of my files does not have "Run as Admin" option, instead it says "take ownership" I wonder what's wrong with this...
  4. "Take ownership" vs "Run as Admin"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Permissions greyed out, cannot take ownership.

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Permissions greyed out, cannot take ownership.: Hey guys trying to take control of this folder but the option is greyed out, check attachment ! I tried taking ownership but it doesnt work. The option change is greyed out. Is their any way to do this? [img] 168861
  6. Win 10 permissions and take ownership

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Win 10 permissions and take ownership: I have a user who can take ownership of a folder when i have expressly denied the user and administrator/s all permissions including take ownership Users on a single Win 10 PC and as I am not just the only one who uses the PC I want to lock a folder down to stop anyone else...
  7. Take ownership

in Windows 10 Support
    Take ownership: Is there an easy way to take ownership of files or folders so they can be deleted. I want to delete Windows.old and some of the Wallpapers I have added to windows 10. Thanks 139644
  8. Having trouble taking ownership of USB network drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Having trouble taking ownership of USB network drive: I have a 2TB USB drive connected to my router and I am currently copying my media files to it so I can access them from other devices. All seems to be working but at times have trouble with not having permission to change/delete files. When I try to to change the owner to...
  9. Does the *Take Ownership* program from howtogeek work?

Does the *Take Ownership* program from howtogeek work?: Pretty self explanatory lol. I'm trying to completely rid myself of Adobe Flash, but I'm not important or smart enough to own my own mind or computer, I need Microsoft to mismanage it all for me. As such when I get to the first step of the uninstallation guide posted by...
  10. Take ownership(my permission hell)

Take ownership(my permission hell): I've been using take ownership since maybe my win7 days even vista but M$ has done something to the process as take ownership no longer applies to everything in a folder. It's been hell trying to restore my older profiles every time I am forced to reinstall the OS(10th time...