Windows 10: Trouble running SimCity 3000

Discus and support Trouble running SimCity 3000 in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Today I installed SimCity 3000 onto my PC, the setup went fine but when I try to start the game it asks me to run it as an administrator, I don't know... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by BJC1992, Oct 16, 2018.

1. BJC1992 Win User

Trouble running SimCity 3000

Today I installed SimCity 3000 onto my PC, the setup went fine but when I try to start the game it asks me to run it as an administrator, I don't know why it asks this but I do it anyway, but after I do that nothing happens at all. In the games' properties menu I did select the option 'Run in 640x480 Screen Resolution' and the screen goes black for a few seconds but that is the closest I can get it to start. I know it is an old game which is designed to run on Windows 98 and XP so I did run the compatibility troubleshooter and it recommended I run it for Windows XP but still no joy, anyone got any ideas, will it be able to run on a Windows 10 PC?

:)

BJC1992, Oct 16, 2018
  2. DenBirch Win User

why can't i install nor play simcity 3000 unlimited?

DenBirch, Oct 16, 2018
  3. Simcity 4000 not working on Windows 10

Well, since it's Steam it wouldn't make much sense, but I believe that both SimCity 3000 and SimCity 4 use SafeDisc DRM, which is incompatible with Windows 10. I would think that the Steam version would remove SafeDisc and use Steamworks DRM instead, but it's a possibility that it didn't.

blackroseMD1, Oct 16, 2018
  4. BossDweeb Win User

"why can't i install nor play simcity 3000 unlimited? "

Details of what is, or is not happening, and your system specifications, including brand and model

graphics processor, should be included as a matter of course in any question regarding games, but...

- Most (many ?) but not all, pre-2000 release games tend to have at least one of a host of issues not found

in post 2000 games, but many of these problems have fixes which can be found on the games fan sites.

- The vast majority of games released from 2000 on are compatible with Win10. If a game runs on

Win7 it will most likely run on Win10 as well.

- There is one big issue with disk based games on Win10, but this should not normally stop a game from installing .

This is Win10's DRM Blocking 'feature' . I don't have the details on this particular version of SimCity,

but if the disk has a file with the title - secdrv.sys - on it Windows will prevent if from launching.

You can read more about DRM Blocking in my post on
    ---this thread---

btw - Good Old Games is a good place for old games.

Their games install with DOS BOX, or ScummVM when one of these emulators is required for the

game to run in modern Windows. This saves the hassle of learning how to use the emulator software.

(They have 2000 and 4, but no 3000)

http://www.gog.com/

BossDweeb, Oct 16, 2018
Thema:

1. Trouble running SimCity 3000 - Similar Threads - Trouble running SimCity

2. Having trouble to run fortnite

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Having trouble to run fortnite: I already installed fortnite but whenever am trying to play error no D3D11 compatible GPU- features level 11, shader model 5 pops up.My Laptop configurations are as below.Edition :- Windows 10 ProProcessor :- IntelR CoreTM i5-2410M CPU @ 2.30GHz 2.30 GHzRAM :- 3 GBSystem...
  3. How can I get *Simcity 3000: UK Edition* to run?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How can I get *Simcity 3000: UK Edition* to run?: Whenever I try to run it it says "Please login with administrator privileges and try again", but it does nothing when I run it with administrator. This also applies to the BAT tool. I am aware of the GOG version but I would prefer to be able to use the disc copy I own...
  4. Why is my Sim City 3000 not running?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Why is my Sim City 3000 not running?: When I try to launch my game I keep getting an error "unknown exception". What is causing this? A friend says that this is particular to windows 10? My other old game "Panzer General 111" is also not running anymore. Should I change to an older version of Windows or try a...
  5. Trouble Getting Bluetooth running

Trouble Getting Bluetooth running: I don't seem to be able to turn on Bluetooth on my desktop PC a HP "Prodesk" when I go to the Bluetooth setting there is no option to turn it on. Also, the Bluetooth symbol doesn't show up in the lower right bit of the taskbar where it normally appears, even when I look at...
  6. HD-3000

HD-3000: I have Windows 10 and a webcam HD-3000 that I use for Skype. There is no driver for this webcam. How can I control brightness and focus? Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hd-3000/4015e53d-1372-4e90-ad4f-ae6d3cc16d27
  7. SimCity 4 Deluxe

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SimCity 4 Deluxe: Hi all, I can see from the various threads that Simcity 4 Deluxe will run on Win10, in fact, I've had it working on Win10 on a previous PC, but I'm having problems with my new box. It's a MSI Nightblade with a Nvidia GeForce 210 graphics card. It didn't run earlier with...
  8. SimCity 4 Dekuxe

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SimCity 4 Dekuxe: Hi, I'm hoping that someone here can help me. I've tried to install SimCity 4 on various Win 10 machines, but can't get it to run. When I try, I get a msg to run as administrator, but that doesn't help. I tried to install as admin but that doesn't work either. I see it is...
  9. Simcity 4000 not working on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Simcity 4000 not working on Windows 10: Simcity 4000 (steam ver) doesn't even try to load.... Anyone know of a fix for this? I mean, I click the play button, and it literally does nothing. I've tried adding parameters and compatibility mode that magically worked for people, but... Nothing! I'm seriously about to...
  10. Trouble running .bat files

in Windows 10 Support
    Trouble running .bat files: Hi, I'm trying to run .bat files on Windows 10, but it tells me that "This app can't run on your PC". It doesn't matter what I use it for, .bat files just won't run anyway. Are .bat files no longer supported? (ran fine on Windows 7) Any workarounds? I'm no expert on...