Windows 10: Trouble searching within a shared folder

Discus and support Trouble searching within a shared folder in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi, I have a large shared folder, which two other computers have access to. The master computer has no problem searching within the folder;... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by bencoleman, Nov 26, 2017.

1. Trouble searching within a shared folder

Hi,

I have a large shared folder, which two other computers have access to. The master computer has no problem searching within the folder; however, on the others it won't allow searching. Clicking the search bar in explorer has no effect, it won't allow anything to be typed in it. Any solutions would be much appreciated.

Many thanks,

Ben

:)

bencoleman, Nov 26, 2017

2. Unable to create folder on shared folder with Windows Search active on PC with shared folder

I have had an ongoing problem with a number of small business installations where I have setup a simple Peer to Peer networking with one PC have a number of folders setup for shared, and a number of client PC's accessing those shared folders.

It seems when the installations went to Windows 10, there was a problem in being able to created a new folder within the shared folder from the client PC. When they right moused clicked within File Explorer at the client PC while in the shared folder, and
    clicked on New / Folder, it would "hang" for awhile, then come back with a "network error."

I got the guys on the Answer Desk on this, and they were able to solve it by either turning off "Windows Search" on the PC with the folder being shared, or exclude the shared folder from Windows Search service again on the PC hosting the shared folder.

That solved the problem but I can't help but think the Windows 10 people did not intend to require the Windows Search service to be either turned off, or excluded from the shared folders, just to allow the client PC's to create new folders in the shared
    folder correctly.

Anybody have any thoughts on this?

Thanks.

MichaelEbbeson, Nov 26, 2017
  3. Files Not showing in Explorer

Hello

I have a strange one where files are not showing in explorer on a network share but if I search for the file within the folder it is saved the file shows up.

Any idea's

Marc@Glanvilles, Nov 26, 2017
  4. Samuria Win User

Trouble searching within a shared folder

Welcome to the forum. Have you set both share permission and NTFS permissions for all users?

Samuria, Nov 26, 2017
Thema:

Trouble searching within a shared folder

1. Trouble searching within a shared folder - Similar Threads - Trouble searching within

2. Troubles with Shared folder on PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Troubles with Shared folder on PC: I'm trying to access my PC with NAS folders, i have a folder set up but i don't know what the username and password is, i tried my username, email address and full name, and i tried my microsoft login password, my windows PIN, nothing's worked...
  3. Troubles with Shared folder on PC

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Troubles with Shared folder on PC: I'm trying to access my PC with NAS folders, i have a folder set up but i don't know what the username and password is, i tried my username, email address and full name, and i tried my microsoft login password, my windows PIN, nothing's worked...
  4. Troubles with Shared folder on PC

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. trouble connecting to a shared folder

trouble connecting to a shared folder: I want to open a shared folder from my phone.It doesnt work using my main user account a microsoft account but it work with any new local account.do i absolutely need a local account ? how do i make it so the user i use to access the shared folder doesn't appear on windows...
  6. trouble connecting to a shared folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    trouble connecting to a shared folder: I want to open a shared folder from my phone.It doesnt work using my main user account a microsoft account but it work with any new local account.do i absolutely need a local account ? how do i make it so the user i use to access the shared folder doesn't appear on windows...
  7. trouble connecting to a shared folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Trouble moving folders within One Drive to Vault

Trouble moving folders within One Drive to Vault: Hi, I have premium one drive with 1TB of space. I still have about 900gb free on one drive. I am trying to move a single folder that contains multiple folders and files to the vault. I see that it moves the parent directory or folder but not the contents within. I'm...
  9. Searching within a folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Searching within a folder: My latest update has changed the way the search function works. Now after entering the data I want found I have to click a blue arrow as if to say "go". That's an improvement over the previous way of having to backspace to let the app know to search now. However, now when I...
  10. Unable to search within a folder

Unable to search within a folder: Good afternoon. I am having trouble with file explorer and searching within a folder. The upper right search function doesn't recognize when I click it and will not allow me to input anything to search for. I've followed many online instructions from rebuilding the index...