Windows 10: Trouble with a USB flash drive Windows won't let me into

Discus and support Trouble with a USB flash drive Windows won't let me into in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I was using the utility Rufus to format and install a version of Linux to a USB thumb drive to install on an old laptop. Well I noticed about 1/2... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/shinozuka, May 10, 2020.

1. Trouble with a USB flash drive Windows won't let me into

I was using the utility Rufus to format and install a version of Linux to a USB thumb drive to install on an old laptop. Well I noticed about 1/2 through the rufus procedure it had an error and stopped.

Now I can't get into the drive at all. Windows does assign it a letter (D) for about 1/2 a second. Then it disappears.

I tried going into Computer Management -> storage and I see the drive there But it lists D: as Removable No Media.

I tried downloading a couple 3rd party utilities (disk genius, partition assistant ) They don't even see it.

When I open an Admin Command prompt I see

>chkdsk D:

Cannot open volume for direct access.

It had been in the process for being formatted and copying files so I don't care about loosing data on it. I just want to see if I can get into it again to reformat it again.

Any ideas?

submitted by /u/shinozuka
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/shinozuka, May 10, 2020
  2. 95Viper Win User

USB flash drive won't read, wants to format.

What file system did your friend use to format the USB flash drive?
    Linux, MAC, Windows, etc.... if, he did the project on a different file format; the system may not think there is anything useful and wants to format it to make usable.
    Or, the drive has gotten corrupted (like your friend pulled the drive before it was finished and the file table/partition info/etc. is corrupt).
    Static could have gotten it, too.

One of many recovery apps:
    USB Flash Drive Data Recovery Software

Google has a sh*t load software to recovery and/or repair usb drives; but, be careful and always scan your downloads with a good a/v package.
    usb flash drive recovery software

Just some ideas.*Smile Trouble with a USB flash drive Windows won't let me into :)

95Viper, May 10, 2020
  3. Lazzer408 Win User
    help. USB drive isn't assigned a drive letter.

Any usb flash drive I plug into my computer isn't assigned a drive letter. The physical drive shows in the "safely remove hardware" but it doesnt show up in disk management. I have tried to populate the volume thru the safely remove hardware properties window and it does pop up in the list but it doesn't stay there. This isn't a format or assign a letter problem. It's more complicated then that. Maybe one of the services needed for usb drive management was disabled? Suggestions needed. btw external usb harddrives work fine.

Lazzer408, May 10, 2020
  4. thraxed Win User

Trouble with a USB flash drive Windows won't let me into

Installing windows off of a USB stick

Step By Step from vista:
    From admin cmd prompt

1. diskpart
    1a. list disk
    2. select disk 1 (replace 1 with your usb drive)
    3. clean
    4. create partition primary
    5. select partition 1 (replace 1 with your usb drive)
    6. active
    7. format fs=fat32
    8. assign
    9. exit

Copy Windows Vista's DVD ROM content to the Flash Drive

xcopy d:\*.* /s/e/f e:\ (d being your vista cd and e being your usb stick)

And that's it, boot off your usb disk

thraxed, May 10, 2020
Thema:

Trouble with a USB flash drive Windows won't let me into

1. Trouble with a USB flash drive Windows won't let me into - Similar Threads - Trouble USB flash

2. Windows 11 won't let me eject USB devices

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 won't let me eject USB devices: Hello all. I am greeted with this message whenever I try to eject a plugged USB drive. There is no program using it that I know of and this can happen even after just plugging in a USB device. I had to shut down the computer in order to be able to safely remove my external...
  3. Windows 11 won't let me eject USB devices

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 won't let me eject USB devices: Hello all. I am greeted with this message whenever I try to eject a plugged USB drive. There is no program using it that I know of and this can happen even after just plugging in a USB device. I had to shut down the computer in order to be able to safely remove my external...
  4. My Flash Drive won't let me transfer my large files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    My Flash Drive won't let me transfer my large files: OK.. I am using a hiksemi 32GB flash drive which is this:https://www.hiksemitech.com/en/hiksemi/all-products/external-storage/hs-usb-m200r.htmlI am also using a microsoft windows 10 home single language for my computerI also found similar but different problems found in this...
  5. My Flash Drive won't let me transfer my large files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My Flash Drive won't let me transfer my large files: OK.. I am using a hiksemi 32GB flash drive which is this:https://www.hiksemitech.com/en/hiksemi/all-products/external-storage/hs-usb-m200r.htmlI am also using a microsoft windows 10 home single language for my computerI also found similar but different problems found in this...
  6. My Flash Drive won't let me transfer my large files

7. It won't let me in?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    It won't let me in?: How can I get in? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/it-wont-let-me-in/65c7d072-7bb5-4cb2-8c0f-4de3440e084a
  8. It won't let me in?

It won't let me in?: How can I get in? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/it-wont-let-me-in/65c7d072-7bb5-4cb2-8c0f-4de3440e084a
  9. usb flash drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    usb flash drive: I am using windows 10. My usb flash drive does not show in disk manage but only intermittently. Often to make matters worse it freezes my mouse when I have the flash drive plugged in. Also it wont let my computer shut down when the flash drive is plugged in. So far I have...
  10. Windows won't let me use a recovery drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows won't let me use a recovery drive: So, I had recently tried fixing my computer because it was stuck in the 'endless loop' by using a recovery usb and drive (I had gotten both) but neither shows the option to recover from drive? I can select 'recover from drive' but all that does is show me my options of...