Windows 10: Trouble with Canon CR2 RAW files

Discus and support Trouble with Canon CR2 RAW files in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi: I upgraded from 8.1 to 10 about 6 weeks ago. Hopefully this is the right forum for the problem. Latest issue is that when I connect my (older)... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Anachronista, Aug 23, 2016.

1. Trouble with Canon CR2 RAW files

Hi: I upgraded from 8.1 to 10 about 6 weeks ago.
    Hopefully this is the right forum for the problem.
    Latest issue is that when I connect my (older) Canon camera via USB to the computer, Windows 10 can see the drive/CR2 files on it OK, but cannot display them (just lists them with a generic thumbnail icon).
    None of my various photo editing software programs can even see the USB connection post Windows upgrade.
    If I move a CR2 file from the camera to the hard drive, none of the photo viewers (that could all previously display CR2 images in 8.1) can display them now - I have updated to the latest Win10 versions of those viewers, still no luck.
    To make it even stranger, Windows and the other photo viewers can display the existing CR2 files (i.e. that were present on the hard drive when I did the Windows update, and came from the same camera) with no problem, it's only new ones from the camera (which has NOT had a firmware update or any changes like that) that it can't seem to handle.
    Any ideas? I really don't want to have to roll back to 8.1 ...
    Thanks.

:)

Anachronista, Aug 23, 2016
  2. apetala Win User

How to view canon raw files 80D on Windows 10?

Original title:- canon raw files 80D

windows 10 photoviewer not opening raw files CR2 for canon 80D canon site say no codex for this operating system

apetala, Aug 23, 2016
  3. Codec for Reading CR2 Files from Canon 6D Mkii

I have no idea when Canon or Microsoft will release new codec for viewing CR2 Raw file, which Canon 6D Mark II adopts.

For the time being, you're advisable to try "FastStone Image Viewer 6.4" (freeware), which can view, edit (resize, rename, color, gray, sharpness, contrast, shadow & lightness, framing, etc.) and convert CR2 Raw files to various form (JPEG, GIF, TIFF, PDF,
    etc.) via batch processing.

Peterson Tien, Aug 23, 2016
  4. Berton Win User

Trouble with Canon CR2 RAW files

I'd try the free GIMP program to convert the files to .jpg.
    GIMP - Frequently AskedÂ*Questions
    A client was saving both RAW and JPG on his Canon EOS 50D [mine is a 60D] and filling up the card, simple to make the change to only JPG in the camera setup. The JPG files were about a fourth the size of the 20MB RAW files, didn't seem to have lost much detail.

Berton, Aug 23, 2016
  5. ARC1020 Win User
    I haven't experienced any problem with any .cr2 files in Windows 10, even from my old cameras. As a test I just downloaded a sample 20D raw file from THIS website (which was taken June 2005) to see if a file from someone else's camera would trigger the issue, but that too correctly shows the thumbnail in Windows File Explorer and opens correctly in the Windows Photo app.

cr2 files are already part of the Microsoft camera codec pack that is automatically updated through Windows Update, so no user action is required to display them. Therefore, I suspect that maybe there's some sort of conflict with the other software you have installed (maybe they installed their own codecs for example)? You could try setting the Windows Photo app as the default program to open .cr2 files and see if they display OK then (See reset Windows 10 back to scratch, because Windows 10 does display .cr2 images and thumbnails correctly when everything is working properly.

Shooting jpeg only is fine for the majority of people, however doing so you loose the ability to change picture style profiles, white balance, utilise Canon digital lens optimiser profiles, etc. before the demosaicing process takes place. You also lose the extra headroom to recover highlight detail and the ability to output straight to 16-bit TIFF for post work, as JPEG is 8-bit with lossy compression. So depends on what people want from their images as to what format they choose to shoot in.

ARC1020, Aug 23, 2016
  6. Samuria Win User
    I had the problem but a camera firmware update sorted it

Samuria, Aug 23, 2016
  7. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

just curious but why would a camera firmware update making ANY DIFFERENCE AT ALL to existing .cr2 files being handled (or not handled as the case may be) by Windows. I can't even understand why it would make any difference to NEW .CR2 files either - but you can have the benefit of the doubt on that - it certainly shouldn't make ANY difference to EXISTING .CR2's.

.CR2 files all work fine for my cameras on W10 - although I use Photoshop for processing. Things like Photoshop elements will handle .CR2 files as well if you don't want full blown photoshop.

For those who use GIMP on Windows - here's how to add RAW support. (GIMP is great and FREE for people who want to do a lot of processing and don't want Photoshop which isn't cheap !!!).

RAW Photos With GIMP | How to GIMP

I don't like converting to png / jpg .

RAW (.CR2) files are like your original negatives and can be re-processed over and over again as they are lossless. If you need to edit jpg's etc a number of times then you are already editing a lossy format and will lose more and more data from the picture.

With RAW you can mess around with layers - alter white balance etc and do so many more things to really enhance a good photo.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Aug 23, 2016
  8. Trouble with Canon CR2 RAW files

Thanks for the replies. I just had a quick chat with Canon. They're stumped too. Makes no sense why Windows 10 can handle all the existing CR2 files from this camera with no problem at all, but can't display any new ones that I try to download to my computer. I shot a test pic in JPG a few minutes ago, and that one is fine in Windows. Somewhere along the line Windows is eating the CR2, because the other photo editing software (including Canon's DPP) can't work with the new ones either.
    Here's the display in File Explorer - existing CR2 files and new ones:

Trouble with Canon CR2 RAW files [​IMG]

The Windows photo editor says it can't open the file.
    Maybe I have to shoot JPG with this camera from now on, which is a pain because RAW allows you to salvage pics that might otherwise be unusable.
    Thanks.

9. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

How do you handle the .CR2 files from the camera -- do you transfer directly into computer or do you process with camera still attached to the computer. My preference would be to copy / transfer files into computer.

I only leave camera attached to computer on those occasions where I am shooting some Pro stuff in "Tethered Mode" which is a different issue entirely.

You can I think download a TRIAL of photoshop -- see if that handles .CR2. I try and avoid canon's software -- I like their cameras etc but they sure make LOUSY software --I never liked DPP in the first place. You might also need the latest updates ( I think Canon are still on Windows 7 !!!! never mind about 6 / 8.1 and 10) - and see if they have any RWA camera updates. They also have issues with x-86 and x-64 bit windows so chose the correct version.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Aug 23, 2016
  10. I usually use a freeware program called Faststone (latest version), which I love for basic manipulation, batch resizing, file conversions etc. It can't handle the 'post upgrade' CR2 files either and it has always struck me as a very robust bit of software.
    I always transfer to the computer to manipulate - that way I can delete from the memory card sooner. The camera is an old Rebel XT which they are not really supporting any more (no parts available etc). Other than that the firmware and version of DPP (supports Win10) are upgraded to the latest possible for that camera. I don't really want to bother (pay for) with Photoshop - if it works then I have to buy a subscription and I already have another piece of software (ArtRage) that does most of what Photoshop does. Ho hum.
    I'll see if anyone else comes up with suggestions for a while, and if not then I'll close the thread. Just wish MS would get their act together - you should see the song and dance routine over power settings I've been going through too!
    Thanks.

11. Steve C Win User
    Is there a RAW codec or similar software from Canon you need to download?

Steve C, Jul 4, 2017
  12. I have not been on the Canon site for downloads for quite some time but they use to have photo editing software there that would download from your camera or sd/cf cards. You could also install your possibly needed cr2 drivers and any firmware for your camera. I have been a fan of Lightroom since version 1 but also have PS and Bridge (unfortunately from the cloud now). Lightroom should download your pics with no issues at all.

Fisher Mann, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Trouble with Canon CR2 RAW files

1. Trouble with Canon CR2 RAW files - Similar Threads - Trouble Canon CR2

2. Photo Viewer has started auto mangling the exposure and orientation of Canon CR2 RAW images

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Photo Viewer has started auto mangling the exposure and orientation of Canon CR2 RAW images: Windows file explorer shows thumbnails of CR2 files just fine. Photo Viewer will show a CR2 image properly for about half a second, but then it will redo the exposure badly and if the image is oriented vertically, it will reorient it horizontally. Please in the next patch fix...
  3. Fragmented JPEGs and corrupted folder containing .cr2 Canon RAW images files

Fragmented JPEGs and corrupted folder containing .cr2 Canon RAW images files: Hello. I'm seeking help in two distinct topics. I would greatly appreciate any advice. 1. For the past years I have stored all my phone and DLSR camera pictures in an Samsung external hard drive. Lately I have noticed that some of these pictures have been "fragmented"....
  4. Canon cr2+cr3 files

Canon cr2+cr3 files: I can`t view my photos in window 10 as I only shoot raw files in camera to save space and convert to jpeg for posting on the web. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/canon-cr2cr3-files/daec7058-3dc4-44b2-a7ab-07afa8ba0845
  5. Canon CR2 files in windows explorer

Canon CR2 files in windows explorer: My older canon 500d raw files I could preview in windows explorer - this now does not work with my newer canon 77d camera - can a new codec pack please be released for the newer raw formats....
  6. Canon EOS M50 RAW files preview

Canon EOS M50 RAW files preview: 1. Is there any way to set up preview for CR3 raw files in File Explorer? I'm running Windows 10. 2. Is Microsoft going to add native support for this file format?...
  7. Official .CR2 (raw) file viewer?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Official .CR2 (raw) file viewer?: Good day, is there an official microsoft made RAW image file viewer? I'm looking into Mircosoft Photos but I think it does not support RAW files. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/official-cr2-raw-file-viewer/a114a40b-ddda-4248-bbe3-2d1369a705e7
  8. Canon CR3 RAW FIles

Canon CR3 RAW FIles: How do I view a Canon CR3 RAW File in Windows 10 (64bit) Explorer? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/canon-cr3-raw-files/e35f411e-8b08-4174-86d6-e90c94e2c1bc"
  9. Isses with cr2 files (RAW)

in Windows 10 Customization
    Isses with cr2 files (RAW): Hello everyone. I sent the below to Canon: Hi there, I have a user who has a Canon EOS 200D and some issues with cr2 files. First of all if the view in Windows Explorer is set to 'large images' it won't show the image at all but a thumbnail. And they replied with below:...
  10. Canon CR2 files are not viewable.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Canon CR2 files are not viewable.: I cannot view photos taken with a Canon 6D Mark 2. It has been out for a while. Downloaded codecs - no luck. Canon web site has no help also. (this also was a problem with Canon 70D last year.)...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. file converter canon Eos rebel t7i cr2 file