Windows 10: Trouble with disk clone/HDD to SSD upgrade

Discus and support Trouble with disk clone/HDD to SSD upgrade in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; So, I've got an HP laptop that is only less than two years old and it was never fast. Before replacing the thing outright I thought I would try to swap... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/refridgerateafteruse, Jan 10, 2021.

1. Trouble with disk clone/HDD to SSD upgrade

So, I've got an HP laptop that is only less than two years old and it was never fast. Before replacing the thing outright I thought I would try to swap out the spinning rust for an SSD and see if that helped. Here are some basic specs and details of what I've done. It's a lot, I've been at this since yesterday.

AMD A9 Dual Core

Windows 10 installed from OEM

Model number: 17-ca0054cl (It was a Costco purchase)

Don't know what else is relevant

Upgrading from 1TB HDD to 500GB SSD (I know it's smaller but there is plenty of free space)

Since apparently there is no Windows clone tool and HP doesn't have one either (the SSD is HP, the store was out of Samsung and I was foolish enough to think I could knock this out in an afternoon... because I've done this on three computers and it has never taken longer than that) I downloaded a 3rd party application AOMEI. I cloned the disk and swapped it out.

The laptop didn't recognize the disk as bootable. File explorer or whatever windows calls it these days showed a total replication of the file structure, but I couldn't boot from it. I went back and tried to make a system image on the disk. Still no deal. At this point I figure, 'F* it! I've got a recent backup.' And I go back to the original drive and make a bootable recovery USB. Hey, it worked... I seem to have to setup Windows again... there isn't an option to restore from backup. Whatever. I get to the desktop and try to restore from backup... and it won't recognize my backup disk as a backup and 'Nope. No restore from here!'

What am I doing wrong here? It shouldn't be this difficult to put a new drive into a computer. It wasn't this hard when I upgraded my Macbook a few years back. It wasn't this hard when I upgraded my Windows 10 PC last week (Samsung provided a migration tool). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

submitted by /u/refridgerateafteruse
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/refridgerateafteruse, Jan 10, 2021

2. Clone HDD to a SSD

I'm planing to upgrade my new laptop HDD to SSD while using my HDD as a storage media on my laptop. My laptop came with windows 10 Home OEM. If I cloned the HDD will the windows be activated after I
    cloned or will it be deactivated?? And what happend to other activated softwares like MS Office and Antivirus Softwares???

Thank you for your support.

Kasun Anuradha, Jan 10, 2021
  3. Andre Da Costa, Jan 10, 2021
  4. Garrisonq Win User

Trouble with disk clone/HDD to SSD upgrade

Cloning HDD to SSD KEEPS FAILING

I have a Samsung SSD, so I am using the Samsung data migration application.

Garrisonq, Jan 10, 2021
Thema:

Trouble with disk clone/HDD to SSD upgrade

1. Trouble with disk clone/HDD to SSD upgrade - Similar Threads - Trouble disk clone

2. HDD to SSD upgrade by cloning, but no Wi-Fi on settings

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    HDD to SSD upgrade by cloning, but no Wi-Fi on settings: I cloned my hdd to new a ssd to upgrade my laptop. After I installed my SSD in my laptop, it booted fast. However, the network and internet status has no Wi-Fi. Moreover, this pc I use relies to Wi-Fi connection only. Is this a comapatibilty problem between the ssd and wifi...
  3. HDD to SSD upgrade by cloning, but no Wi-Fi on settings

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    HDD to SSD upgrade by cloning, but no Wi-Fi on settings: I cloned my hdd to new a ssd to upgrade my laptop. After I installed my SSD in my laptop, it booted fast. However, the network and internet status has no Wi-Fi. Moreover, this pc I use relies to Wi-Fi connection only. Is this a comapatibilty problem between the ssd and wifi...
  4. Clone HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Clone HDD to SSD: Of all the many programs than come with Win10, do any allow the cloning of the OS to a new SSD? If so, are the instructions easy to understand & follow? If not, can you recommend one?Thanks!...
  5. Clone HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Clone HDD to SSD: Of all the many programs than come with Win10, do any allow the cloning of the OS to a new SSD? If so, are the instructions easy to understand & follow? If not, can you recommend one?Thanks!...
  6. Clone HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. HDD to SSD clone.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    HDD to SSD clone.: Want to transfer my whole operating system along with the data from a HDD to a SSD but don't know how to do it. Help needed. SSD not yet bought so suggestion on what company to buy from are welcome. Currently using western digital wd10spzx-60z10t0 1TB. Let me know if more...
  8. Cloning a hdd to ssd

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Cloning a hdd to ssd: 1t to 250 gig ssd using MiniTool Partition Free. Very little on the hdd and I never even fill up a 128g ssd !! Anything I have to be aware of ? Thanks 143870
  9. Cloning a hdd to ssd

in Windows 10 Support
    Cloning a hdd to ssd: 1t to 250 gig ssd using Macrium Free. Very little on the hdd and I never even fill up a 128g ssd !! Anything I have to be aware of ? Thanks 143870
  10. Clone HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Clone HDD to SSD: Most regulars here recommend and use Macrium Reflect Free which will work on ANY drive. 93058