Windows 10: Trouble with hard drives and boot drives

Discus and support Trouble with hard drives and boot drives in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I've recently built a pc with a 120gb ssd and a 6tb hard drive. My goal was to have my system and boot drive on my ssd and then use the 6tb as storage,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Hersheyman12399, Apr 27, 2020.

1. Trouble with hard drives and boot drives

I've recently built a pc with a 120gb ssd and a 6tb hard drive. My goal was to have my system and boot drive on my ssd and then use the 6tb as storage, but when I installed windows the boot drive went onto my hard drive. Because it has been partitioned as an MBR drive I only have access to 2TB of the hard drive. Whenever I try to clean the hard drive in diskpart to repartion it as a GPT drive it won't let me because it has the boot drive on it. Is there a way to copy to boot drive onto the ssd so I can finally have access to my full 6tb?

submitted by /u/Hersheyman12399
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Hersheyman12399, Apr 27, 2020
  2. GKing Win User

Maxtor Hard Drive Beep

Maxtor drive beeps

Have a similiar situation using a DiamondMax Plus 8, 20GB Mfg Date 4/15/03. Drive used as a second system drive. Drive is recognized in boot menu but not in drive list. Drive is always connected. Computer started locking up for several seconds at a time. Chkdsk on drives and couldn't find that drive. Removed drive from bay to make sure connections were ok and heard the beeping. Shutdown and restart and never got to windows screen. Restarted several times then saw drive in boot menu and Windows loaded but Maxtor not in drive menu. When recognized in boot menu, computer will start but beeps and is not found.

Tried kicking it real hard but no improvement. Any suggestions?

GKing, Apr 27, 2020
  3. Overclock your hard drive!!!

Heres a much easier hack that I realized quite a few years ago that really does work!

REQUIREMENTS:
    • Hard drive with molex power connection.
    • PSU with more than 1 strand that has molex plugs on it.
    • Wire strippers, soldering iron if you're fancy, electrical tape if you're not.
    STEPS:
    • Take the strand of connectors from your PSU, and decide which one will be the donator for this overclocking adventure.
    • Cut the yellow and orange cables, then twist them together.
    • Find the power connector you've chosen as the overclocking connector, and release the orange cable from the connector. Now use your preferred method to bind them together, then place it back together.
    • Plug in a drive and feel the speed!
    Congratulations! You've just overclocked your hard drive!

Sir B. Fannybottom, Apr 27, 2020
  4. Trouble with hard drives and boot drives

little cat, Apr 27, 2020
Thema:

Trouble with hard drives and boot drives

1. Trouble with hard drives and boot drives - Similar Threads - Trouble hard drives

2. Trouble with the slow installation of Windows and the hard drive?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Trouble with the slow installation of Windows and the hard drive?: I installed Windows after a sudden glitch in Windows, but I found the installation of Windows took a long time, about two hours? Why?I checked the hard disk from the pad and the disk is fine, and I erased all the data from the disk, and yet there is a severe slowdown in...
  3. Wrong hard drive boots

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Wrong hard drive boots: I have 2 laptops. New one has only been set up with Microsoft login. Upon entering Microsoft password on old one, it boots up, but files have disappeared. It appears the old computer thinks it’s the new computer with no files. How do I reaccess my files?...
  4. Wrong hard drive boots

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wrong hard drive boots: I have 2 laptops. New one has only been set up with Microsoft login. Upon entering Microsoft password on old one, it boots up, but files have disappeared. It appears the old computer thinks it’s the new computer with no files. How do I reaccess my files?...
  5. Wrong hard drive boots

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Trouble Adding New Hard Drive

Trouble Adding New Hard Drive: I'm trying to add a new hard drive and am having problems. I can see the drive in Device Manager, but it is not showing up in Disk Management. Also, when I go to DiskPart > List Disk it isn't showing. I've tried updating the driver in Device Manager and I've also...
  7. How to Boot into a hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to Boot into a hard drive: Hi, So I installed windows on a hard drive, I just don't know how to boot into that hard drive. I went into boot options, I tried every single option and it just says, "REBOOT AND SELECT PROPER BOOT DEVICE OR INSERT BOOT MEDIA IN SELECTED BOOT DEVICE AND PRESS A KEY." I tried...
  8. Trouble Connecting External Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Trouble Connecting External Hard Drive: Hi there. I'm trying to connect a Seagate External Hard Drive to my PC but am having some issues. Hard Drive: https://amazon.com/gp/product/B07CQJBSQL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 The Drive seems to start up when I plug in the USB cable but I can't...
  9. Cant boot hard drive!

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Cant boot hard drive!: So I had an old system but it was in very good shape so I thought I would transfer my old hard drive into my father's system....we were trading systems so we swoped the hard drive out and I put mine in his....but I went to boot it up and it pops up with reboot and select...
  10. Trouble Accessing External Hard drive

Trouble Accessing External Hard drive: I just got an external hard drive for my computer from a friend and I am trying to format the drive to clear the previous data. The drive will not show in file explorer but when I go to devices in settings it shows that it is connected. I cannot even access any data that is...