Windows 10: Trouble with moving folder from external drive

Discus and support Trouble with moving folder from external drive in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Hi all: I've just put together a new machine and bought a new Windows 10 CD and installed the OS. All that went fine. I have a LOT of folders & files... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Rogger 38, Sep 19, 2020.

1. Rogger 38 Win User

Trouble with moving folder from external drive

Hi all:
    I've just put together a new machine and bought a new Windows 10 CD and installed the OS. All that went fine.
    I have a LOT of folders & files that I'm trying to move from external drives over to the Windows machine.
    I've only been able to move a few and then it just stops downloading. I've tried tricks to get it to download but with no success. Is there some particular procedure for doing this or what?

Thanks for replies

:)

Rogger 38, Sep 19, 2020
  2. Remon Ont Win User

External Hard Drive

Hi John,

We suggest that you try the troubleshooting steps below:

• Open your External Hard Drive file in File Explorer.
    • Type the name of the file you want to search on the search box and click Enter.
    The file will show up in Search Results and you will be able to move it to the correct folder.

Let us know if you need further help.

Remon Ont, Sep 19, 2020
  3. How to move the user profile folder to an external hard drive

*Confused I found a Windows 10 Forums article online about how to move the Users profile folder to an external drive, but it was not something easily understood by a not-too-techie user.

If there are some easy to follow step-by-step instructions on how to do this for a recently upgraded Windows 10 (not Windows Professional or Windows Enterprise) OS, I would be happy to get them.

wondermuse, Sep 19, 2020
  4. Kari Win User

Move Users Folder Location in Windows 10  

If not the best way to do that but at least the way I recommend:

• "Empty" your user profile folders as much as you can, copying documents, pics, videos, music and all other personal data from all user profiles to external HDD. As following steps require you to relocate Users folder two times, the less data is left in user profile folders, the faster the relocation process. Important: Leave system folder AppData for each profile intact, do not empty / move its content!
    • Reverse the relocating, doing exactly as told in tutorial Method Two but this time relocating Users folder back to C: drive
    • Shut down the PC, replace the disk where you had Users relocated
    • Mount the new disk, boot to Windows, assign new disk the same drive ID letter than the old one had
    • Again, do as told in Method Two, now relocating Users to new disk
    • Restore the backed up personal user data from external drive to respective folders under each user profile

Thema:

1. Trouble with moving folder from external drive - Similar Threads - Trouble moving folder

2. Moving files from one drive to an external drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Moving files from one drive to an external drive: I'd like instructions as how to move files from one drive to an external hard drive? I have several files and need to get them out of one drive because some of my files won't open in some of my software if they're in the cloud....
  3. Moving files from one drive to an external drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Moving files from one drive to an external drive: I'd like instructions as how to move files from one drive to an external hard drive? I have several files and need to get them out of one drive because some of my files won't open in some of my software if they're in the cloud....
  4. Desktop Folder move to another drive trouble

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Desktop Folder move to another drive trouble: Good morning everyone. I mess up and i change the desktop and the download files from C to D and it doesn't show me the downloads file. I choose only the D driver and didn't make a desktop file. Its exactly the same problem from here...
  5. Trouble moving folders within One Drive to Vault

Trouble moving folders within One Drive to Vault: Hi, I have premium one drive with 1TB of space. I still have about 900gb free on one drive. I am trying to move a single folder that contains multiple folders and files to the vault. I see that it moves the parent directory or folder but not the contents within. I'm...
  6. Trouble moving default folder locations from OneDrive to C drive

Trouble moving default folder locations from OneDrive to C drive: Hi there, brand new laptop with Windows 10 automatically set OneDrive as default location for my user profile and documents. Unlinked PC from OneDrive, and most of my default folders now point to C drive, but Documents and Pictures still point to OneDrive. Have tried...
  7. Unable to move Captures folder from C drive to external drive.

Unable to move Captures folder from C drive to external drive.: I cannot move my Captures folder for saving screenshots and game clips. I am trying to move it to an external drive, but changing the registry key does not work, and Captures settings shows it in my Users folder; when I try to move it to the external drive, as instructed by...
  8. Files moved from C: drive to external drive

Files moved from C: drive to external drive: H! My 13-year-old decided to make space on the computer by dragging files from the c: drive to an external drive. Now all the file paths are messed up. I don't know what he moved from where exactly and I don't want to just drag things back and make things worse. We are not...
  9. Trouble Seeing External Drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Trouble Seeing External Drive: I have been using a WD My Passport external drive since 2006. Beginning in Dec 2019, none of my laptops can "see" the external drive when I plug in the USB cable. Using Disk Manager, it says that there are 931 GB Unallocated and disk not been initialized. What happened?...
  10. Move folder from external drive "System Volume Information"

Move folder from external drive "System Volume Information": I ACCIDENTALLY (I own my mistake) moved a large folder (My Data) from "E:\" into the "E:\ System Volume Information\." where "E:\" is my local external hard drive. To try to undo this, I simple try (Logged in as Administrator) >move "E:\System Volume Information\My...