Windows 10: Trouble with my right-click START Power user (Context) utility menu

Discus and support Trouble with my right-click START Power user (Context) utility menu in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi I am not a sophisticated user. I've been searching help videos (sometimes difficult to understand and follow). Trouble happened when I was setting... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by mrow22, Jun 5, 2020.

1. mrow22 Win User

Trouble with my right-click START Power user (Context) utility menu

Hi I am not a sophisticated user. I've been searching help videos (sometimes difficult to understand and follow). Trouble happened when I was setting up an external HDD for partition and file backup purposes. Had not done it before and needed to repeat some steps. I also installed WD utilities just to look at what was included and then uninstalled, using Revo. It seems like after that, most of the right-click Start Menu Power (Context?) menu items like Disk Management, Event Viewer in top box quit opening. I suspect this somehow affected some links to these utilities in Power Manager box. I can access them using search or other methods. To rule out Avast, I uninstalled that and enabled Windows Defender, no change. Have run SFC /scannow; some files were repaired but no change with this issue. I have also run Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image / ScanHealth, (also RestoreHealth) with no issues.

More than a week has passed and I've tried many things, but the right click Start Power Context menu apps like Device Mgr, Disk Mgmt, Computer Mgmt, PowerShell, Control Panel don't work. I can still access them via the search window. Since then I thought Win10 2004 might possibly repair it, so I tried that. I've been dealing with some minor bugs in it, but the right click Start menu still is the same. I've been working on other things with it, clearing junk apps, creating a backup system, but from time to time I come back to this.

I just tried the old WinX menu editor and attempted to service the Group 3 list which I guess keeps the links to these utilities, difficult to work it and I had no luck with this. I even tried copying a Group 3 folder with the same default links in it from my other (much newer) HP i7 laptop, it seemed to make no difference. Greg at Microsoft Community tried to help me and I tried re-registering the menu with a refresh instruction in Administrator PowerShell with an instruction from Kapilarya; I probably did it several times, no change. This is the reason for the post: Is there anything left to try?

This PC is an older HP DV-7 i7 8Gb ram 1Tb drive, now about 8 years old. It's my daily driver. I'm not thrilled with 2004 and wish I hadn't fooled with it. But for the most part, I'm about where I was a little over a week ago except for the major update. I've had to do a couple of system restore procedures during the week as I made mistakes and then corrected them. I've postponed 2004 on the other laptop until I gain some confidence with this system and use of resources etc.

:)

mrow22, Jun 5, 2020
  2. AndreePin Win User
    AndreePin, Jun 5, 2020
  3. Recycle Bin Context Menu (right click)

Hi,

1. Right-click Start and open Control Panel> Programs> Programs and features. Any programs listed with Chinese (?) names?

2. Download and run ShellExView
    http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.html

(no installation necessary)

Does ShellExView tell you which program installed the context menu item?

3. Download and run Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (Free download link)
    https://www.malwarebytes.org/antimalware/

Don

Don Varnau, Jun 5, 2020
  4. Trouble with my right-click START Power user (Context) utility menu

Right-click context menu "Run as Administrator" not working

I have the same problem but mine is limited to right clicking the start menu. I can right click everything else and it works correctly, but if I right click the start menu, it doesn't open the context menu and the cursor shifts just a little diagonally to
    the top right. I've tried the suggestions above and the new account works fine and the SFC scan came up with nothing wrong.

Edit- also Winkey + X doesn't bring open the context menu either

jedbillman, Jun 5, 2020
Thema:

Trouble with my right-click START Power user (Context) utility menu

1. Trouble with my right-click START Power user (Context) utility menu - Similar Threads - Trouble right click

2. Right Click context menu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Right Click context menu: How to restore old Right-click Context menu in Windows 11 as default https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/right-click-context-menu/cdfdc643-2248-4080-9d73-4685d6fdbe15
  3. Right Click context menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Right Click context menu: How to restore old Right-click Context menu in Windows 11 as default https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/right-click-context-menu/cdfdc643-2248-4080-9d73-4685d6fdbe15
  4. Right Click Context Menu

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Right Click Context Menu: Is there a way to edit it? Mine has things I don't need. Also, is there a way to add things too? And if can't edit. just rearrange the order of the actions. Win10 Pro submitted by /u/Frankie_Hollywood [link] [comments]...
  5. Right Click Context menu.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Right Click Context menu.: How can I change the size of the right click context menu? And can somebody tell me why the context menu changes its size automatically. Right now its showing like thispicture attached, earlier the width was less. [IMG]...
  6. Right-click Context Menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Right-click Context Menu: I click on ads on some websites and gadgets to give revenue to the service provider. Generally, I want to right-click, then click on 'Open Link in New Tab'. More and more, right-clicking is acting like left-clicking and taking me to the ad site in the current tab or doing...
  7. Right Click Context Menu Glitch

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Right Click Context Menu Glitch: If I Right Click in File Explorer or on Desktop and hover over "New," The Menu Freezes as does file explorer and will hang for around 30 seconds to one minute. Very Frustrating and hope it can be fixed!...
  8. Right Clicking User Folder Freezes Context Menu

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Right Clicking User Folder Freezes Context Menu: Hello, Some info up front: 1) I did a clean install a few weeks ago. I've made minimal changes - nothing intrusive, certainly (well, see below). This morning I was changing the location of the User Folders found under This PC in Windows Explorer. I have 2 hard drives, C...
  9. Right Click context menu sloooow

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Right Click context menu sloooow: I am using Windows 10 Pro 64 bit OS on my self built system. It's been working great for years but recently I have notice when right clicking on any file in File Explorer or on the desktop it takes up to 30 seconds for the context menu to appear. I have read other posts about...
  10. Right click context menu for explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Right click context menu for explorer: Trying to create a Right click context menu for explorer. I used to be able to launch VLC mediaplayer by right clicking on a Video_ts folder and chose play with VLC, seems to have gone for some reason...tried a few programs to help me with this but no luck yet....just tried...