Windows 10: Trouble with Windows Update

Discus and support Trouble with Windows Update in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Dear Windows! The Windows Update isn't able to handle one of the latest updates, and it continuously warns me on the taskbar with a red exclamation... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by nemciki, Feb 3, 2019.

1. nemciki Win User

Trouble with Windows Update

Dear Windows!

The Windows Update isn't able to handle one of the latest updates, and it continuously warns me on the taskbar with a red exclamation mark. First time, I had thought it wasn't a problem, these issues are usually solved within a short time. Unfortunately, in spite of my experience the problem has remained in this case. So I tried to solve and handle it myself.

I have an activated Win10 Home edition (I've used it for around a year, and I'm very satisfied with it). It is run on a quite good hardware so I think the problem isn't with my PC.

(I use a Hungarian version of Win, sorry for the language of pictures, but I think it would be better if I attach them.)

Trouble with Windows Update 9b9855f3-323c-4314-aa0b-e5717c47a8a4?upload=true.png

The taskbar informs me "Some important updates are absent". Clicking on this icon Windows Settings app pops up with its Windows Update surface, where the familiar red exclamation mark greets me.

Trouble with Windows Update 453e083c-6d14-465b-b4c0-34b226097dc7?upload=true.png

I vainly pressed the "again" button, nothing happened. Searching the internet about error code "0x80070424" I tried to follow Microsoft's official experts' recommendations. I ran Command Prompt, I turned off and on some services with it (I'm not an expert but I trusted in Microsoft employees' aptitude). I've manually downloaded all recommended troubleshooters and updates.

However...

I suspect these attempts failed because Windows Update itself had gone rogue and it works wrongly. I think about it for three reasons :

1. When I should've installed officially recommended updates and kbs, the system has always refused them referring error code "0x80070424". Trouble with Windows Update :(

2. When a coworker of yours suggested (for another user with a similar but not same problem) checking Windows Update among services, and if it wasn't run, would be. However I didn't find it there.

Trouble with Windows Update 92284485-8764-4c0c-b746-4ba755bee10e?upload=true.png

3. As your coworker had also suggested that running Command Prompt as administrator I wrote the command "net stop wuaserv" then I got the following answer:
    Trouble with Windows Update 94506d2e-ada0-46bd-a13b-647de7fe1325?upload=true.png

("A szolgáltatásnév érvénytelen" means "service name is invalid".)

So I don't know what could I do after all. Trusting your help I'm waiting your answer.

Best Regards,

Daní

:)

nemciki, Feb 3, 2019

2. Windows 10 fails to update

When you finish testing the Avast suggestion, make sure that you restart your machine.

Then if the issue persists, please return to the trouble shooting list in post# 89

I think there are three steps that remain; the WU troubleshooter, reset WU components, and manual WU reset.

Slartybart, Feb 3, 2019
  3. 3Colors Win User
    Windows Updated(16299.309).KB4088776 Restart is required to complete.

Hi dalchina. Good news, I followed your suggestion and reinstalled the update and now it appears as "installed correctly" *Biggrin Maybe it was not necessary to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter or maybe if necessary. But using it I do not think it could have worsened something. The installation was very fast, unlike the first time it showed step 1 and step 2 completed.

Thanks for the suggestions and for the time to respond Trouble with Windows Update :) Best regards.

And thanks for the tip of that program, I'll have it on my list.

3Colors, Feb 3, 2019
  4. AsRock Win User

Windows Updates failed to instal

I'm not sure how differant XP media center Edition is but you could clear the history \ cache if these folders are there.

Step 1 Register DLL files.

=================

By trying this step, we can check if the update engines are working properly.

1. Close all instances of Internet Explorer.

2. Click Start and Run, type "Regsvr32 atl.dll" (without quotes) in the Open box and click OK.

Note: There is a space between regsvr32 and atl.dll

3. Similarly, one by one, register the files listed below:

Regsvr32 msxml3.dll

Regsvr32 wuapi.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll

Regsvr32 wups2.dll

Regsvr32 wucltui.dll

Regsvr32 wups.dll

Regsvr32 wuweb.dll

Regsvr32 qmgr.dll

Regsvr32 qmgrprxy.dll

Regsvr32 jscript.dll

Note: If you encounter errors while registering any of these files then skip that file and continue with the next one.

If the issue persists, let's move on to the steps below to verify Windows Update services and temporary folders.

Step 2 Verify the relevant Windows Update services.

=========================================

1. Click Start->Run, type "services.msc" (without quotation marks) in the open box and click OK.

2. Double click the service "Automatic Updates".

3. Click on the Log On tab, please ensure the option "Local System account" is selected and the option "Allow service to interact with desktop" is unchecked.

4. Check if this service has been enabled on the listed Hardware Profile. If not, please click the Enable button to enable it.

5. Click on the tab "General "; make sure the "Startup Type" is "Automatic" or "Manual". Then please click the button "Stop" under "Service Status" to stop the service.

6. Then please click the button "Start" under "Service Status" to start the service.

7. Please repeat the above steps with the other services:

Background Intelligent Transfer Service

Event Log

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

Note: Event log service is enabled on all of the hardware profiles; this service does not have an option to enable or disable on certain hardware profile.

If it still does not help, let's proceed to step 3.

Step 3 Reload the Update temporary folders.

===================================

One possible cause is that the temporary folder for Windows Update is containing corrupted files. Let's erase all the files there to get the system clean.

1. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net stop WuAuServ

2. Click Start, Run, type: %windir% and press Enter.

3. In the opened folder, rename the folder SoftwareDistribution to Sdold.

4. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net start WuAuServ

Please test the Windows Update website and let me know the result. If the issue persists, to clarify the issue and provide more accurate troubleshooting steps, please assist me in collecting the following information.

AsRock, Feb 3, 2019
Thema:

1. Trouble with Windows Update - Similar Threads - Trouble Update

2. Windows 10 installed and still having trouble getting Windows Update 24-01 Security UPdate...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 installed and still having trouble getting Windows Update 24-01 Security UPdate...: I have Windows 10 installed and still having trouble getting Windows Update 24-01 Security UPdate for Windows 10 version 22H2 for x64 based system KB5035512 to load . FAILED INSTALL since January and now on 4/9/2024.HELPDownloaded recent guidelines to "Manually resize your...
  3. Windows 10 installed and still having trouble getting Windows Update 24-01 Security UPdate...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 installed and still having trouble getting Windows Update 24-01 Security UPdate...: I have Windows 10 installed and still having trouble getting Windows Update 24-01 Security UPdate for Windows 10 version 22H2 for x64 based system KB5035512 to load . FAILED INSTALL since January and now on 4/9/2024.HELPDownloaded recent guidelines to "Manually resize your...
  4. Windows 10 installed and still having trouble getting Windows Update 24-01 Security UPdate...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Hi everyone , i have this trouble to after auto-update windows , any body can plz give the...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hi everyone , i have this trouble to after auto-update windows , any body can plz give the...: Hi everyone , i have this trouble to after auto-update windows , any body can plz give the solution for this error??? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hi-everyone-i-have-this-trouble-to-after-auto/60b2ad1a-70cc-4a3b-8ce2-87da17c7f25a
  6. Hi everyone , i have this trouble to after auto-update windows , any body can plz give the...

Hi everyone , i have this trouble to after auto-update windows , any body can plz give the...: Hi everyone , i have this trouble to after auto-update windows , any body can plz give the solution for this error??? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hi-everyone-i-have-this-trouble-to-after-auto/60b2ad1a-70cc-4a3b-8ce2-87da17c7f25a
  7. Having trouble with updating Net Framework 3.5

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Having trouble with updating Net Framework 3.5: I've been trying to update NET Framework 3.5 for a while now and every time the update finishes it says that it fails and that I have to restart my computer. is there anything I can do to successfully update this?...
  8. Having trouble with updating Net Framework 3.5

Having trouble with updating Net Framework 3.5: I've been trying to update NET Framework 3.5 for a while now and every time the update finishes it says that it fails and that I have to restart my computer. is there anything I can do to successfully update this?...
  9. Having trouble with updating Net Framework 3.5

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  10. Trouble with installing updates

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Trouble with installing updates: when I check for updates on my windows 10 it said error encountered and "There were some problems installing updates, but we'll try again later. If you keep seeing this and want to search the web or contact support for information, this may help: 0x80070643" and I don't know...