Windows 10: Trouble writing/deleting files on DVDs

Discus and support Trouble writing/deleting files on DVDs in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have Windows 10 Build 19042.867. Dell desktop - about 3 months old with internal Optical Disk Drive (ODD) and external ODD. My backup routine is to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by dbish, Mar 19, 2021.

1. dbish Win User

Trouble writing/deleting files on DVDs

I have Windows 10 Build 19042.867. Dell desktop - about 3 months old with internal Optical Disk Drive (ODD) and external ODD.

My backup routine is to backup files to the external USB DVD-RW and, on a weekly basis, pull DVD media and insert media from 10 cycles ago t. I then select all files (using Windows Explorer) and delete them. Been doing it for 20 years like this with few problems.

I did this today and when I try to delete the files I find the delete command is grayed out. I then tried to just format the disk from Windows Explorer and that option is not on my right-click menu. When I tried to format it from the Disk Management mcc I get an error message that says

"An unexpected error has occurred. Check the System Event Log for more information..."

I cannot find any listing in the System Event Log that seems to bear on this issue.

Expanding my test I find that I cannot delete files when the disk is in the Internal ODD as well. Also, when I tried a different disk I get the same problems (tried both DVD-RW and DVD+R.)

That said, the computer sees the drives and the files on the drive. I can play movies from the drives and I can copy files from them as well. I just cannot copy files to the ODD or delete files.

I would guess it was just bad media if it only happened on the one disk but that fact that I cannot format a blank DVD-RW or DVD+R has me concerned.

Suggestions?

:)

dbish, Mar 19, 2021
  2. M3cael Win User

Only write one number to log file and delete old ones?

Hey,

I'm trying to have some software read from a .text file a number (GPU Temp) but the software will only the first number in a list (Or the first anything)

Is there a way to have to log file delete the previous entries and write the new number in it's place without any headers?

EDIT:

Sorry I'll try again.

I have some webcam software that can read a number (or whatever) from a text file and then it displays the number as an overlay.

See here: http://10.244.193.13:8081/

I was trying to use GPU-z to do this but as it logs as a list the webcam software can't update properly (also it reads the headings of the file and displays them instead)

Is there anyway to alter the logging to only output just the number (GPU Temp) and to delete the old numbers so the new value is the only value in the file.

M3cael, Mar 19, 2021
  3. Read Write Broken CD/DVD Functions.

Hi,

Thank you for the reply.

Suggest you to completely reinstall the cd/dvd driver and check if that helps.

Follow these steps.

• Press “Windows key + X” and click on “Device Manager”.

• In the list of devices, you should see cd/dvd rom drive.

• Right click on the device and then select "Uninstall".

• In the uninstall dialog, make sure you select the option to delete the driver package from the system. This causes the driver package installed earlier to be deleted.

In the Action menu of Device manager, select “Scan for Hardware changes”
    option. This will cause the device driver to be reinstalled. Once the driver is installed, close all windows and restart the computer.

Keep us informed to help you further.

Srimadhwa B, Mar 19, 2021
  4. Riel Alc Win User

Writing to DVD

Hi Ernie,

The error "The source and destination file names are the same." means that File Explorer sees same file names. For us to better assist you with this, what app are you using to burn a DVD?

In the meantime, you may follow the steps below to resolve the error:

• Move the files to another location and rename it there.
    • Move the renamed files to the original location.
    • Then try to burn again.

We're looking forward to your reply.

Riel Alc, Mar 19, 2021
Thema:

1. Trouble writing/deleting files on DVDs - Similar Threads - Trouble writing deleting

2. Having trouble deleteing or changing ownership of files.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Having trouble deleteing or changing ownership of files.: I'm having trouble deleting or changing ownership of a file in my appdata that I put there. It keeps saying that I need admin permission to do either though I am the sole user and owner of this computer. When i go to change the ownership of said file it says I don't have...
  3. Having trouble deleteing or changing ownership of files.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Having trouble deleteing or changing ownership of files.: I'm having trouble deleting or changing ownership of a file in my appdata that I put there. It keeps saying that I need admin permission to do either though I am the sole user and owner of this computer. When i go to change the ownership of said file it says I don't have...
  4. Having trouble deleteing or changing ownership of files.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. Delete write protection From USB File

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Delete write protection From USB File: I've been trying to remove File protection from a file from a USB and then delete it for a little while now I Tried.Removing disk attributes from the USBStarting up in SafeModeDelete The File From Command Prompt.Still Can Not Delete the File.If anyone knows how to help me out...
  6. Delete write protection From USB File

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Delete write protection From USB File: I've been trying to remove File protection from a file from a USB and then delete it for a little while now I Tried.Removing disk attributes from the USBStarting up in SafeModeDelete The File From Command Prompt.Still Can Not Delete the File.If anyone knows how to help me out...
  7. Delete write protection From USB File

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Writing DVDs: Problem with Blank DVDs or something else?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Writing DVDs: Problem with Blank DVDs or something else?: I am archiving files to DVD, on Windows 10 & a Lenovo Z51, using an external DVD writer. Windows is up to date. My laptop shows the DVD writer in Device Manager & Disk Manager. However, it doesn't show-up as a drive in Windows Explorer or Imgburn. I am using 5 year old...
  9. Can not write files to DVDs in Windows 10.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can not write files to DVDs in Windows 10.: I cannot write any DVDs at this point, I've tried on my desktop and laptop with the built in DVD players as well as two different USB powered DVD readers/writers. I've also tried three or four different types of blank DVDs. I even replaced the DVD player in my PC thinking...
  10. Having trouble deleting this file

in Windows 10 Support
    Having trouble deleting this file: [img] I want to delete this file but every time I click on it this pops up and I can't delete it. 47737